Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in an apartment complex with an underground parking lot in a nice area of the city. One morning I go to my car, start it up, and drive a few feet when my console turns red and indicates a tire pressure problem. I go out and sure enough one of the tires was flat, which was strange because I was driving it the previous day and the tires were fine.

I swap it out for the spare, then go to a local tire center to have the bad tire patched. They showed me that the tire had been puntured with a knife on the side wall of the tire and couldn't be patched. So I go to the dealer to have the tire replaced. About an hour into the wait, they come back and tell me there is a problem. The service advisor shows me a tire pressure sensor that had been cracked in half. He asks me if the tire went flat because I hit something like a curb since he saw some scrape marks on the rim. He says the sensor probably broke when I hit something. However, I never hit anything and the sensor was working fine when it told me that my tire was flat! Anyway, the bill comes out to $636. It was $160 for labor, $230 for the new tire, $200 for the sensor, and the rest for taxes.

Is it possible that the service advisor just showed me a broken sensor when my sensor was fine and pockets the money for the part? I really didn't think my sensor would have been broken given the way my tire got flat. Either that or they broke the sensor when trying to remove the tire. What would have been the best thing to do in this situation? I have an extended warranty from Mercedes but they said it doesn't cover the pressure sensor since it is a minor part.

·
Registered
2011 C300 4matic, palladium, HFS, MM&HK, 18"AMGs
80 Posts
Wow, that's pretty steep for one new tire! What brand/type tire was it? OEM Contipro? I have to doubt that hitting a curb would break the sensor in half. Smells like BS.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Dont know of you got ripped off but I have a good friend of mine's wife that is a dealer service advisor. He says the pressure is tremendous to tack on questionable repairs and maintenance. She said they have targets that if you don't meet them you get canned. She told them that she can't just make up additional things to spend money on if they don't need anything. They told her well then sell people on flushes/fluid changes,etc. whether they need it or not.

Pretty scummy when you consider dealer prices are already so high.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Wow, that's pretty steep for one new tire! What brand/type tire was it? OEM Contipro? I have to doubt that hitting a curb would break the sensor in half. Smells like BS.
I have Michelin HX MXM4 Sport. I checked around other places. The tire price they gave me was inline with other tire shops around the area.

I question it because I didn't even hit anything! Someone slashed my tire while my car was parked and that's why I had a flat. The service advisor only thought I hit something because my rim was scraped. So he blamed the broken sensor on some impact that never even happened.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dont know of you got ripped off but I have a good friend of mine's wife that is a dealer service advisor. He says the pressure is tremendous to tack on questionable repairs and maintenance. She said they have targets that if you don't meet them you get canned. She told them that she can't just make up additional things to spend money on if they don't need anything. They told her well then sell people on flushes/fluid changes,etc. whether they need it or not.

Pretty scummy when you consider dealer prices are already so high.
Well that's good to know. No wonder they keep trying to push those recommended fluid changes on me. I barely have any miles on my car and never miss the required maintenance but they keep pressuring me to buy lots of extra stuff saying my car will break down if I don't do it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yep! Stealer specially MB, They are train to make $$$ on services. I always asked the MB advisor to show me the parts that they are going to replaced before doing the job. Labor and tires prices seem to be correct! but I would check on the tire sensor price?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts