Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Mercedes Benz ML55 AMG
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've decided to put some 22's on my 2001 ML55 AMG
Wheels are TSW Hypersilver with polished lip 22x10.5 / 42 offset rated at 1950 lbs each. I chose these because they look like they could have been a factory production rim, thats the style I like. Looks like it could have been factory.
I chose the Pirelli Scorpion Zero Asimmetricals 305/35ZR22 110W XL. Technically you need the XL (extra load) rated tires for this particular SUV. Otherwise i would have gotten the 335/25/22's. Might as well keep it legit. In the rear I don't need spacers but I am choosing to install the Eibach Pro-Spacer Kit SKU: EIB-902150172 (15mm or almost 5/8") Up front I don't quite know yet because I cannot clear the front calipers (amg) with a 42 offset. I believe I need to be at 52 offset to clear. As soon as my 15mm's come in I will test fit them in front to see if they are thick enough. Side note: I ordered my wheel spacers and H&R springs from Autoplicity. Its been three weeks and NOTHING. I am so pissed cuz i can't move forward, what a joke. Anyway.
As you just read, I also ordered H&R rear springs (flat tops) because they are stiffer and drop lower than Eibach. Those aren't in yet either. Grrrrr. Fronts require no springs because its torsion bar action up there. To complete this expensive venture I will also need longer wheel bolts, maybe. We'll see. I will keep you informed. With photos of course.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well as of today I have my 4 pirelli mounted on my 4 rims. Still waiting for Autoplicity to send my springs and spacers (to clear the front calipers). They sent me an email on Friday stating they just shipped my parts after 3 weeks of waiting and when i verified the shipping at ups, it comes up invalid. Hmmm Sounds like a ploy to delay shipping after the holiday. Thanks alot. Its sad when your entire project is delayed because of a careless merchandiser that didn't even have the decency to tell me my parts are on backorder, at least that is what they said anyway.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Parts are supposedly going to be here Wednesday (tomorrow) i can hardly wait. I sure hope i can find some long wheel bolts locally this weekend.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
WooHoo. I can't believe my springs and spacers have arrived. Looks like I will be spending a few hours this weekend putting this thing together. With photos of course.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So in the end there are a few changes to the changes. I ended up with the Pirelli Scorpion Zero Asimmetricals 295/30/22's. I still used the H&R rear suspension. Up front I had to go with the Eibach 20mm spacers because the 15mm spacers will not allow my rims to clear the large AMG calipers. As for the torsion bar set up. I lowered both sides by 10 revolutions which was about an inch. That was the easiest suspension mod I had ever done. about 4 minutes/side. You can turn the steering wheel lock to lock with no rubbing, in fact there is still about an inch before it could possibly touch anything. I also eliminated the luggage rack on top. I just ordered up some beautiful rotors, I should see those in about a month. All in All I am very pleased with the way it looks. I love rims that look like they could have been factory and I think I came pretty darn close

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here is my ride height after a day of driving. Never hit, scraped, bumped or touched. Believe me, I wasn't pussyfooting it either.

·
Super Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
22,138 Posts
Just out of curiosity what are you going to use in the snow when an Alberta Clipper rips through in the Winter?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My AMG rims that came with the SUV and a set of winter tires that are now mounted on the rims and ready to rip up the snow. Did you really think I would throw away the OEM rims? Besides I have an assortment of other vehicles better suited for winter.

·
Registered
2002 ML55 AMG, 2005 Chrysler Crossfire Coupe Limited, 1999 C280
4,714 Posts
That looks really good and fills the wheel wells adequately!

Is the lower end acceleration any slower as a result?

That's what has put me off adding bigger wheels to mine.

But, GOOD JOB!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
As far as I can feel, I didn't lose any acceleration at all. When I take off a tire next week I will weigh it and I will weigh my OEM and see what the difference is, If any. The new set up is only 1/4" shorter than OEM.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Looks good, how is the ride.....harsh?Also wanted to know what Far888 asked......
I don't find it harsh at all. I love stiff sports oriented suspension. I prefer a vehicle that I can feel stick to the road. Besides a rough ride is only based on how crappy your roads are where you live. If I wanted a mushy ride, I would have got a non AMG. My other car is an AMG and it doesn't ride harsh either.

·
Registered
2 Posts
22s

That's crazy, I have the same exact rims on my ML350! And yes they do look factory. I bought Mercedes wheel cap stickers on eBay to cover the "TSW" logo, and now it really looks like factory Benz rims. TSW Jarama rims are a good fit for ML350! Check out my pics below.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts