Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
2009 C350
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My lease was up on my BMW Z4 (is my wife's car) and she insisted on an SLK as a replacement, so I leased a new SLK 350. I have both for 45 days and am able to compare. Today she admitted that the BMW Z4 (3.0 225HP) feels lighter and faster than the SLK 350 ( 3.5 268HP), and she realizes we should have leased a new Z4 (255HP) .

The SLK feels heavier, the engine sounds stressed when punched, it feels like a cadillac. The Z4 feels like a sports car, maybe I made a mistake, should have leased a new Z4. Oh well, I have the SLK and must keep it for 39 months. 39 Months wishing I had a BMW. I hope time flies and that my wife learned her lesson, cars are not like purses, which they buy because name brand and looks, not because performance.

At least the SLK looks pretty and it has the Mercedes name, which is important to my wife, even if it does not drive and handle like a BMW.

But if it was my car, you can be sure it would be a BMW. ( I drive a 545i)

I can not believe how many folks truly believe that a Mercedes is better than a BMW, wake up, all you have to do is drive a BMW to realize how mistaken you are.

Attachments

·
Registered
2006 Brabus B55
476 Posts
I must respectfully disagree. The SLK350 is simply a better car all around. I have driven both and there is just no comparison. Then, if you take a look at the SLK55 you are in a totally different world. Did you even LOOK at the SLK55. Check out these most recent pics of my SLK55 modified by BRABUS:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1258689&posts=1&fid=27

I think these pics speak for themselves. Z4s are a dime a dozen. They never turn heads like a 350 or a 55 - and I have owned both. Also, there was no Z4 on the road that my 350 couldn't take. I wouldn't even put the Z4 and my 55 in the same category.

No offense, but I promise you I would run your Z4 and your 545i off the road. Not any competition really.

·
Registered
BMW
900 Posts
I can not believe how many folks truly believe that a Mercedes is better than a BMW, wake up, all you have to do is drive a BMW to realize how mistaken you are.
Is that why the SLK outsells it by 3 to 1? And why they have had to cut production three times in three years? And why BMW insiders acknowledge it has not been successful, according to the media? Could be because it is butt ugly I guess. I'm sure it drives quite well, although since it suffers from poor torsional stiffness, I doubt it's that good.

·
Registered
2009 BMW Z4, 2005 SLK 200, 2004 S 280
1,950 Posts
casperslk - 4/17/2006 12:54 PM

My lease was up on my BMW Z4 (is my wife's car) and she insisted on an SLK as a replacement, so I leased a new SLK 350. I have both for 45 days and am able to compare. Today she admitted that the BMW Z4 (3.0 225HP) feels lighter and faster than the SLK 350 ( 3.5 268HP), and she realizes we should have leased a new Z4 (255HP) .

The SLK feels heavier, the engine sounds stressed when punched, it feels like a cadillac. The Z4 feels like a sports car, maybe I made a mistake, should have leased a new Z4. Oh well, I have the SLK and must keep it for 39 months. 39 Months wishing I had a BMW. I hope time flies and that my wife learned her lesson, cars are not like purses, which they buy because name brand and looks, not because performance.

At least the SLK looks pretty and it has the Mercedes name, which is important to my wife, even if it does not drive and handle like a BMW.

It's nice to have both in your driveway. I have never driven the BMW but I do think that the SLK is a nicer looking car. Here in Bangkok performance is not something that you can easily test as the average speed is about 12KPH. But, Mercedes is certainly a chic magnet...BMW is 'so-so'.

·
Registered
SLK350 (apr 15)
673 Posts
When my Z4 went off lease, I got an SLK350. For day to day driving, especially if it's cool or rainy, I much prefer the SLK, primarily because of the top.

The Z4 is, in my opinion, sportier, and it will definitely out-corner the SLK in the tight ones. I've not run against a Z4 in a stoplight dash, but it feels to me as if the SLK would win that one.

I was musing yesterday that, although there seems always to be a car that's within my reach that I would prefer to the one I have, there's really only one right now that I think I'd prefer to the SLK350, and that's the SLK55. And a 55 would induce me to do things that would put me in jail. Day in, day out, driving sensibly, I suspect there'd be little difference. But I don't drive sensibly.

In the end, it's a matter of what you like. If you want a Subaru WRX because of what it'll do in the wet or snow, or just because 300HP in a goofy sedan gets you off, then by all means get one. If you feel the need for a fake Hummer, then get one.

I'd strongly suggest driving a car as much as possible before buying one. When I got the SLK, I drove them at two dealerships, in town, in country, and on the freeway.

When I got the Z4, I was looking at Z4s and M3s, and drove both a lot. It was M3 / Z4 back to back that made up my mind ... another person might have gone a different way.

It's all good, and which car is better depends on your personal weighting of the million factors that make up car value TO YOU.

Now that you're stuck with the SLK for a few years, and while you're reflecting on whether purchase or a two-year lease might be a better idea next time, muse on the value of having a top up that feels like you're in a car, not a drum. That's my favorite thing to like. Well, and the looks the car gets, which I do value.

·
Registered
SLK 350 blk/blk
3 Posts
Hi everyone,

I´m new to this forum, 3 weeks driving new SLK 350,
longtime bimmer enthusiast /E46s, X5/.

I´m sorry to say this in my first post here, but:
Good luck with your Z4 - but you would never see me
in such an ugly car. Quod erat demonstrandum in your pics.
And it is not only looks: BMW has NO SIXCYLINDER engine to beat the 350,
their 3 litre is desperately lacking low end torque.
Except for the brakes, the Benz wins hands down [8D]

just my 2 cents..

·
Registered
2009 C350
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The SLK 350 is fine.

I will stop comparing and start enjoying it. It has now 1010 miles and I can start driving it. The hard top is a nice, the car looks cute and my wife gets compliments, which is her only concern.

The SLK 55 is a very nice car, but the price is close to a Porsche Carrera.

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
237 Posts
Sorry to hear that she does not really lihe her new ride but

she should have test driven the SLK350 more before jumping on the brand itself. Also there are many reviews and forums avail and she should have taken advantage of them.

Should start looking at positive sides, apart from the brand.

Metal top
Much better build quality
Much better transmission (7 speed auto, I guess??)
etc.

I did not test drive the SLK55 simply because there was none avail. So I joined this forum, read many posts and decided to trade in my E46 M3 for the SLK55. NO REGRET!!! I bought the M3 purely because of its performance but the SLK55 has a lot more to offer. Oh, btw, I do not care who makes what. I would have bought the SLK55 even from KIA.

Speaking of the engine, yes, BMW makes fantastic "silky smooth" engines and they love to rev high but tend to lack the low end torque which is important for daily stop and go driving, IMHO.

Two different brands, two different concepts and two different cars. I guess we need to uderstand which suits us for what purpose.

I just got a xA from Scion for commute. I had never thought that I would buy a car from Toyota because their cars are simply boring... but I chose Toyota because of its reliability which is important for daily commute. I am amazed by how cheaply it is made. Feels like the dashboard would crack when I touch it with a finger (now I know why Toyota is so prefitable!!). I am now part of "Generation X" and I am luving it[8D][8D]

·
Registered
2009 SLK 55 AMG
966 Posts
welcome tom_slk to the forum! If you would be so kind as to post your location in your profile by going to the top of the page and select profile/preferences and then location. This helps us know where you are from and also any questions you might have are usually location specific. Also add your pic and name to the map on the sticky thread near the top. Again, welcome!

·
Registered
ML500, SLK55 AMG
258 Posts
casperslk - 4/16/2006 12:54 AM

You should have gotten it in black. The black ones "sound" less stressed, "feel" lighter and less cadillac-y, and "seem" faster.

·
Registered
07 GL450 PE, 06 SLK55
341 Posts
casperslk - 4/16/2006 8:37 AM
The SLK 55 is a very nice car, but the price is close to a Porsche Carrera.
with no options on it....

By the way, I had a z4 and traded it on my SLK.....I have to say while I enjoyed the Z4, everything it was is moot when compared to the 55.

·
Registered
SLK55,CayenneS,XKR
1,995 Posts
I see alot of members over here used to have Z4's and now they changed to SLK350 - 55![:)]

That shows the SLK is the better car!

·
Registered
SLK 350
2,327 Posts
I don't think it shows that the SLK is a "better" car, just that for many of us, it is more desirable. I never even considered the Z4 because I don't like the style of it.

·
Registered
06 SLK 55 Firemist
1,580 Posts
casperslk - 4/16/2006 12:54 AM

...I can not believe how many folks truly believe that a Mercedes is better than a BMW, wake up, all you have to do is drive a BMW to realize how mistaken you are.
Remember just because you believe (or have a opinion) something to be true doesn't make others people's beliefs (opinions) wrong because beliefs are not facts. Just stating a car is "better" means nothing because I could say: I can not believe how you truly believe that a BMW is better than a Kia, wake up, all you have to do is drive a Kia to realize how mistaken you are. I could be right from my point of view because a Kia gets better fuel economy, lower insurance rates,costs 10s of thousands less,......

Also IMO the Z4 is nothing but a modern Pacer in style. I wouldn't be caught dead in that ugly broken back committee designed thing.

·
Registered
2005 slk 350
468 Posts
Duo-Art - 4/16/2006 10:59 AM

I don't think it shows that the SLK is a "better" car, just that for many of us, it is more desirable. I never even considered the Z4 because I don't like the style of it.
Ditto.

·
Registered
SLK350 (apr 15)
673 Posts
alroumi - 4/16/2006 9:46 AM

I see alot of members over here used to have Z4's and now they changed to SLK350 - 55![:)]

That shows the SLK is the better car!
Not at all. It shows that they thought they preferred the SLK. A few have even gone back. It's about preference, not absolute "betterness".

·
Registered
BLACK 2006 SLk280
7 Posts
Z4-COUPE

I've been waiting months for the new Z4-Coupe (don't like rag-tops). They initially stated that ordering would start in March with delivery in June, It's half-way through April and I got irritated... a few days ago I read a thread on the Z4 Forum "what compliments do you get" and the responses were rather pathetic. My initial reaction to the SLK was "wow" while my initial reaction to the Z4 was "I'll need to paint the chrome grill trim, eight bmw logos on one car is excessive, and if I order it in black the weird /slash on the side may be less noticable thus less distracting."

I purchased a SLK280 yesterday and will pick it on Wednesday. It's a more impressive car for the money.

Honestly, I'm concerned about the reliability of Mercedes in general as Consumer Reports lists them poorly but I reviewed this forum and the SLK280 doesn't seem to be overly problematic.

I also did my first lease... which feels odd. I feel like I rented a car rather than purchased one but when I crunch the numbers it seems like a better deal.

·
Registered
SLK350 (apr 15)
673 Posts
Tom_SLK - 4/16/2006 7:21 AM

I´m sorry to say this in my first post here, but:
Good luck with your Z4 - but you would never see me
in such an ugly car. Quod erat demonstrandum in your pics.
And it is not only looks: BMW has NO SIXCYLINDER engine to beat the 350,
their 3 litre is desperately lacking low end torque.
Except for the brakes, the Benz wins hands down [8D]
Actually the new Z4 M model will suck the doors off an SLK350, 0 to 60. As for the looks, it's a matter of what you like, not anything absolute.

I liked 'em both, prefer the SLK. The correct latin quote is "de gustibus non disputandum est", not "quod erat demonstrandum", in my opinion.

·
Registered
2006 SLK 350
1,614 Posts
freebird - 4/16/2006 9:52 AM

Z4-COUPE

I've been waiting months for the new Z4-Coupe (don't like rag-tops).
IMHO, I definitely think you made the right (and smart) choice going with the SLK. I've only seen pictures of the Z4 coupe and I think it looks worse than the regular Z4. Reminds me of that horrible BMW hatchback that they had a few years back. How many of those do you still see on the street? This may be a bit harsh, but my prediction is that the Z4 coupe will meet a similar fate. [;)]

1 - 20 of 115 Posts