Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, just purchased a pristine 1979 240D and I felt the need to do something so I decided to replace the air filter. Flipped the four spring loaded levers and no go. See 10mm nut on top and figure that must be loosened also. Right tighty left lousy right? Well a pop and next thing I know the nut is in my hand and the top is still fixed. There seems to be a little shimmy to the whole unit when I rock it. Not sure if this is normal or not. I know, RTFM but it hasn't gotten here yet. Can I still drive it and just how am I to get this air filter lid off? My wife's comment just really topped it all off, "can't you just let somebody else fix it!". I'm not sure I'm worthy of this car.

thanks

Kevin
1979 240D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
followup

Well, I pried the lid off. Beautiful OEM orange filter with previous original owner marking the date, (2 years ago) and mileage (256000). So about 5000 miles on this filter! Sucking air through the top of the air filter lid now. Sealed with duct tape for now. Maybe I can grab the remaining shaft and remove it and thread in another? I think the air filter assembly normally has some play after looking at this more closely.

Kevin
240D

·
Registered
1959 220S cabriolet, 1983 240D original owner, 1999 E300 turbo diesel, 1988 560SL, 2003 SLK320
3,513 Posts
The whole top of ther air filter housing turns to remove it. I guess you know that now. :)

Len

·
Registered
1983 240D auto..soon to run a generator in the country.1984 300D turbo 4 spd
149 Posts
When your ready you can buy those 3 threaded mounts for the air filter cowl. I treid a 14" K&N cover to replace the stock unit for more air flow. I know folks pooh pooh getting additional air from inside the engine compartment but it's helped my performance. Haven't sat in traffic at 95 degrees yet but we'll see then.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts