Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Audi S5 4.2L 2006 Mercedes CLS 500
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All,
I am aware of airmatic suspension / strut problem with W211/W219 models. So I was kind of anticipating this problem but I am not sure if my recent tinkering with the wheels has anything to do with my driver side front air suspension to malfunction. I have 2006 CLS 500 which is mechanically similar to E500 model.

So I was adding spacers (hubcentric) to my wheels and I had car jacked up using the jack which came with the car. I did one wheel at a time and use the jack points mentioned in the manual. I did not use the jack stands and did not use any other points to lift the car. However I did open the front door once or twice to get something from the car while one wheel of the car was jacked up (I do not remember which one). I put 5mm spacers in front and 10mm in rear. After finishing the job I drove car for few days and noticed some wobble at speed higher than 70 mph. I was kind of thinking what to do about the wobble; may be remove the rear spacers and see if that helps. Then on third day I noticed the left front (driver) side of car is drooping too low (please see picture). Starting the car does make the front end to go higher for few seconds but then goes back down. I do not have any warning signs about car being too low on the instrument panel.

Since it happens soon after I worked on the car, I am thinking if I have somehow damaged the air suspension part and cased a leak in some hose/strut? Is it possible to damage the suspension by opening the door while car is jacked up? Can wheel wobble at high speed damage the suspension?

I just wanted to share this with the folks on this forum since many people has far more knowledge than I do. I have included the left and right wheel pictures for comparison. Any helpful tip would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you checked the sensor and its arms?
So you are implying that a suspension sensor is probably bad, then car does not know if it is too low and not throwing any error codes. That makes sense but I do not know where to look for this sensor the arm. Can you please point to a location so that I can look for it?
Thanks.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This picture is very helpful. I would take off the wheel sometime next week and try to check the sensor. I will try to take some pictures and report back.
Thanks again for your help.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So yesterday I took off the wheel to look at the sensor and air-strut part. While I was lifting the car on the jack, I started hearing a hissing sound which was coming from wheel well. The sound stopped after car wheel was lifted above the ground. I guess the sound was coming from the air entering back into the strut through the leak while strut was being pulled down due to the weight of the wheel. The car was locked and the key was in my pocket during that time.

After removing the wheel I looked at the sensor and it looked ok. There is no damage to the arm of the sensor and after hearing that hissing sound I am pretty certain that I am dealing with a leak, most probably in a strut. I looking to order an Arnott strut soon and any other helpful tips would be appreciated.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just an update of what was the problem:

I took it to a mechanic. He found that the wire to the 'suspension sensor' was severed for some reason. So vehicle could not maintain proper pressure in that strut. Over time strut was subjected to abnormal/uneven pressure so eventually strut started leaking. It was when strut started leaking, that I noticed the problem.

When mechanic told me that the wire to the 'suspension sensor' wire is cut, then I recalled that about 4 months ago I came across a tire flap on highway when I was driving at 70 mph and could not slow down. After driving over the tire flap ABS light & tire pressure warning light came on in the dash. I thought of taking the car for inspection but then after that day no warning light came back so I eventually forgot about the incident. I am sure that the sensor wire was cut when I drove over the tire flap.

So I had to get strut from Arnott and mechanic was kind enough to patch up the wire so I do not have to replace the 'suspension sensor'. Lesson learned.

And kudos to 'Diesel Benz' for quickly concluding that it must be the suspension sensor which went bad.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts