Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
98 SL500 SPORT SLVR
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 98 SL500 Sport. Discount Tire in Crestwood, IL. sold me 275/30/19 Falken Azenis ST115 19x9.5 Zenetti Stella Rear - 235/35/19 19x8.5 Front.
The lip of the wheel is wider than the damn tire on both front and back! Even though the width of the tire on paper is wider according to the Discount Tire size calculator. What the hell????
This was my first set of custom wheels so i had no idea what i was getting. I noticed how narrow the tires were, and even that the rim protector on the tire was not over the rim, but the Discount Tire guy said it was fine. This was purchased back in 11/2005. I rarely drive the car. I have only put on 8,000 miles since purchased. Now the car is pulling to the right and the alignment wont help. I put the car up on a rack and could see how bent the lips were on the inside of both front rims because there is nothing covering them. What should i do. I feel Discount Tire sold me the wrong tires!!!!

Mercedes Tires and Wheels
774 Posts
I have a 98 SL500 Sport. Discount Tire in Crestwood, IL. sold me 275/30/19 Falken Azenis ST115 19x9.5 Zenetti Stella Rear - 235/35/19 19x8.5 Front.
The lip of the wheel is wider than the damn tire on both front and back! Even though the width of the tire on paper is wider according to the Discount Tire size calculator. What the hell????
This was my first set of custom wheels so i had no idea what i was getting. I noticed how narrow the tires were, and even that the rim protector on the tire was not over the rim, but the Discount Tire guy said it was fine. This was purchased back in 11/2005. I rarely drive the car. I have only put on 8,000 miles since purchased. Now the car is pulling to the right and the alignment wont help. I put the car up on a rack and could see how bent the lips were on the inside of both front rims because there is nothing covering them. What should i do. I feel Discount Tire sold me the wrong tires!!!!

Tires are like shoes. Some run narrow, some run wide. That said, Falken tires do tend to run on the narrower side. According to our guide, the sizes are correct for your vehicle and correct for your wheels as well. 30 and 35 series tires don't allow for a lot of sidewall cushion between your wheel and the road. Generally speaking aftermarket wheels with low profile tires are easier to damage than stock alloys with stock profile tires. Pot holes, rail road tracks, speed bumps and other road bumps and dips can easily cause bends in your wheels at high and low speeds.

You have a couple of options. One would be purchasing a set of smaller wheels. This will increase the amount of sidewall between your wheels and the road. You can also choose a tire brand that runs a little larger. BFG and Yokohama tires tend to run a little on the wide side. See the tire manufacturer’s web sites for actual tire dimensions. They are usually located on the tires "Sizes and Specs" pages.

Hope this helps, sorry to hear about your trouble.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts