Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I replaced the grommet for my antenna today. Never having removed an antenna from an MB before, I started by removing the ground strap and antenna cable. Next I removed the screw at the base of the mast and twisted the wast to see if it would easily seperate- It didn't. I then put a wrench on the chrome 2-sided nut, but that seemed to need more torque than I was willing to try to remove it. It did twist the mast, and I heard a little "noise" (I hate to say crunching) so I stopped. I finally went to the basze of the whole unit and removed the screw fastening it to the body. I was then able to lower the unit and replace the grommet.

After completion, I tested for functionality and the antenna "works" but it doesn't extend fully, nor does it retract full, leaving about 6-8 inches extended. This is a fully automatic antenna, connected to a new Kenwood stereo. Previously I noticed it would sometimes fully retract, and sometimes remain a few inches out. Any thoughts from someone who knows?

Thanks!

·
Registered
9,487 Posts
You can buy a new mast and replace the old one. I do it the hard way, but it works for me. I remove the antenna assy and lay it on the workbench and open up the case carefully. I use my finger and extract the mast by moving the belt driven gears. it takes a little time to extend the mast. I remove the white plastic channel cover. unscrew the top of the mast case and remove the mast and plastic rope. change to the new mast add the mast tube end and slowly wind the mast rope back into the case once fully down in position, taking note thet the rope cogs are pointed inward toward the take up wheel. I replace the channel cover, then replace the cover noting and, making sure all the rubber vibration bampners are in plce and close the case and re install into the car.

instructions say to just feed the rope into the assy while in the car, I have never found this to work for me.

·
Registered
5,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So you think the symptoms indicate a problem with the mast/rope assembly? That sounds a lot better than rebuilding the whole unit. Any maintenance I should do while in there?

Thanks!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts