Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
S500
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bought S500, I did not even consider checking the quality aspect assuming that Mercedes-Benz top of the line series will have none. I should have listened to the Lexus sales guy!

I have S500 that I bought brand new 2 1/2 years ago and it has less than 12,000 miles. Over the past two years, this car may not be defined legally as lemon but certainly it is the worst car that I had from quality perspective. This statement in based on my family's previous new cars that included not just BMW but also Infinity, Ford, Buick and Pontiac. None of these cars required me visiting the dealership so many times with such a low mileage.

This car so far had an oil leak, bad garage door opener, bad temperature sensor, dead battery and windshield noise. I may have missed something since I was at MB service too many times. I have a feeling that this is a precursor of problems to come!

Certainly this is not the response that I received from MBUSA NJ customer relations representative, Arnold Almagur who told me "Any automotive car will require service from time to time" explaining to me that legally I am covered by the warranty. When I bought the car, I thought I was buying a premium car that has the quality to support the brand name. I guess the Lexus salesman was right talking about ancient history.

I wonder if someoen can suggest what I can do. I know what I am doing on the negative side - telling people not buy or even consider buying Mercedes (my wife bought Infiniti). I guess JD Power survey agrees with me. The question what I can do on positive side.

·
Registered
04'E55; 02' 911Turbo
75 Posts
You can be sure you're not the only one with these problems. I've heard of the S having...

You can be sure you're not the only one with these problems. I've heard of the S having many issues as well. Maybe things have gone downhill since the merger with Chrysler... who knows.

You'd think that Arnold would know it's not the money aspect you're concerned about, it's the hassle of returning your car so frequently that would bother a MB owner. Has Mercedes just gotten lazy and over confident with their established name?

So far my experiences with my E55's have been solid, so maybe it's just the S that's having difficulty? Maybe I've just been lucky.

·
Registered
'05 330i ZHP
1,036 Posts
Hey dude, get a W140 S class, the 220's are not that good. Or you can go with a W210 or 211 E classin case you dont need the space and luxo. IMHO, get rid of the 220.

·
Registered
2007 S550 Sport
911 Posts
Guys.........

I have had the worst experiances with a mercedes dealer in NYC (the factory dealership)

They dont return my calls, they dont bother getting my work done for me. When i turn up at 5:30 my service advisor yells across the room "NO LUCK" as in , they had NO LUCK STARTING on my car.

Most recently, they botched up putting my snow tires on the car and used lugnuts that were scraping the breaks. They didnt know this because they didnt even bother to test drive it....... FURTHER........ they said the noise was probably a STICKER still attached to the brand new tires.

FURTHER TO THAT>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> they went to put my AMG wheels back on once agreen with me that there was something wrong........... the front wheels were attached to the rear of the car.... and the back wheels were attached to the front! HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE that an MB technician doesnt know this?!?!?!?!?!
WILL SOMEONE PLEASE answer me on this one? Do you have problems with YOUR dealership like I do?
Brad

·
Registered
Mercedes EVO 2
191 Posts
This is going to change when I will be working for MB. I feel really sorry for you guys that SOME MB dealers in the States are so bad. This is absolutely unacceptable!!! In Switzerland my MB dealer is absolutely great!

Brad, please wright a letter to Mercedes-Benz and complain!! That kind of things should NOT be tolerated!!

·
Registered
2007 S550 Sport
911 Posts
2 months ago, they told me I needed new BREAK Rotors and Pads!!!!! they were going to do it and then charge me! they only told me when i got through to them!

The car never informed me about having a think break pad which it is supposed to do. I called MB in New Jersey and they told me that the dealership is always looking out for me and I was wrong to think they were trying to cheat me.

I think I will have to call mercedes in germany because im guessing the people at the factory are more passionate about the cars. I called New Jersey a few times and they were all just covering everyone's bums. But they want me to say I had EXCELLENT service if they ask or they will report my report back to the dealership. Yeah, so when I bring my car in again, they will put a few dents in it.

·
Registered
560 SEL
38 Posts
You should not be surprised, how can mercedes built and retail a 2002 S 500 when they were building in 1989 a 560SEL for the same amount and reatil price?
Come on man something have to give, the fact is 2000 mercedes are not even close in quality the the older S class

·
Registered
14 Posts
That's why you should write a scathing letter to MBUSA Customer Service and make it a point to mention which dealer it is. Did you talk to the manager of the dealer yet? You can also upgrade the complaint to the regional rep. Also mention the fact that you will post the dealers name and address on all the MB forums you are a member of and post up your bad experiences.

Always hurt them where it counts....in their business. :)

I, on the other hand is selling my 2000 S430 and going back to Japanese cars. My honda accord never had 1% of the issues my S430 had. Lexus, here I come :)

Dizzy

·
Registered
Mercedes
40 Posts
Letters, phone calls, blah blah...
You guys are making an incorrect assumption--that they care.
They do not.
Welcome to the new Daimler Chrysler. They care nothing about making the best product, only the most money. I am a second generation MB geek, having owned over 100 of these cars between my business and personal use (including two new ones--CLK cab and SL500) in the last year. NOTHING matters to these people except MORE UNITS. Think--is there anyone in the chain who benfits from this mass marketing theory except DC? No. Customers get less quality, less service, less perceived and real value and horrible resale.
You're wasting your breath. It makes me sick. Sure glad my Dad didn't live to see it.
Sorry, tirade over now. Go ahead.

·
Registered
2003 G55, 2003 E500
62 Posts
I have to agree with you on that one. DC does not care about customers. I called the corporate office in NJ about 2 weeks ago, just for a simple question the girl told me she would call me within 48 hours! But in regards to quality of the car MB has always served me right. BMW has done better a few times, but still I love Benzes.
Shaul, If you really dislike the car, then why don't you sell/trade it for a 745Li,A8,LS430,or whatever Infiniti's best Sedan is.
I'm surprised your experiencing soo many problems...btw,some of the problems you have suggested are similar to that of my sister's 2000 E320, she traded it in for an S430, and is satisfied now.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2003 G55, 2003 E500
62 Posts
I have a question, isn't a Yugo, the thing that you have for your Avatar? Or is it another version of the S-class? I'm confused!

·
Registered
2003 G55, 2003 E500
62 Posts
I'm getting even more confused! The thing in your avatar looks like an old SUV, and the S500 is a sedan! Can you show me full pictures, please?

·
Registered
380SEC EURO
1,430 Posts
Morgan, I think he is pulling your leg. If I remember correctly Chuck V is a C-Class driver.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts