Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
'05 G55K GE
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey Guys,

I have purchased a new G55kGE and am expecting it early next week. I've always coveted a G55k and decided to pull the trigger. Although my decision is coming into question with the incoming refresh '07, the 7-speed and the 63 motor on the horizon. I've always admired the 5.5k and rationalized that the archaic 5-speed would navigate the abundant torque properly and that it would endure. Ostensibly I want to keep this car as I live in Vancouver and want a five-tool vehicle that would last. It's wrenching knowing that I purchased a 2005 half way through '06 but I rationalized that the 'final' year should have swept away any anomalies that plagued the G in the past....Thanks to everyone (AGR, TheDogsCar...) who have been extremely helpful in making this decision....I hope its a good one.

Cheers,

Allan

·
Registered
'15 G63; '10 G55K - Sold; '05 G55K - Stolen; '87 560SL - Sold
479 Posts
My regret is not buying a G55K when AGR did ... whenever I see one drive by, the driver has a big smile on his face (even the Thugs)

·
Registered
'05 G55K GE
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not sure if I qualify as a thug...:cool: but I will keep you apprised of ownership experiences. I hope the promised '07 works out for you. The new 'G' will also, no doubt, become my dogs car.

Allan

·
Registered
05' G55K GE
108 Posts
Absolutely not. It is hard to immaging how it could get much better. The 63 might have more HP, but it's the torque that makes the G55K so much fun too drive.

·
Registered
'05 G55K GE
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm a BMW guy (M3/5) so I'm used to high strung motors (63). I think the 55k powerplant is intoxicating - through various stints with an E55 and CLS55 it's proved both menacing and charismatic by way of prodigious torque. This is my first venture with my own M-B (parents have always owned) and I'm genuinely excited - save that C Class command center:mad: . Thanks for the assurance!

Feeling Good.

·
Registered
02 G500
2,254 Posts
im not sure i would have bought a new 05 this late in 06 as you mentioned. However i don’t think you will want a 6.3. Today technology has come so far that the old saying "there is no substitute for cubic inch" no longer applies. Its now there is no substitute for boost ;)

One of the mb sale people and i where talking about the relation ship of tq with blower motor vs na motors. I said there is no way i would buy a 6.3 because it doesn’t have the bottom end. He said that is true in real world numbers but with more gearing changes ( IE 5 speed vs 7 speed) and different drive ratio's (read end gear i guess) you will not notice the difference.

I for one im am addicted to boost. You just cant make a NA car run with a turbo or blower car day in and day out.

As some one mentioned above about having M cars from bmw and how they are wonderful cars with extreme motors they are not always what you want. A very very wealthy friend of mine has a 06 M5, took it to the track, ran 14.8 @100. went to his owner manual and changed all these setting in the navigation screen to get his power back. Then the car only went 13.8 @109 where as his 05 E55 went 12.5-12.8 ever pass day in day out, Turn the key ( push the button in his case) and hit the gas. Im not sure why BMW did that on the M5 nor does it have to do with you question, I just dont see why some ones $90K does not get them the advertised 500 hp all the time like it does AMG.

long story short, you will not care about having a 05 model once the long pedal hits the floor from a red light. Remember the G55K will run with 98% of the new corvettes. Id bet in town you could even take z06 or viper owners if you good at jumping the light ;) 496HP AWD = TRACTION 500hp two wheel drive = no traction ;) see this is why i cant have a G55K... I’d be walking to work lol

Oh by the way you are now on the I hate you list with the other G55K owners ;)

·
Registered
'05 G55K GE
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Kerr,

I don't think the powertrain will disappoint - I am reticent about no xenon's, updated command, DVD Nav, improved seats and modest interior refinements. However, I realize there are miles of wiring in the G and maybe a couple of production years ('07-'09) will mete out any potential electro-mechanical gremlins that plague a re-design (2002). I am hoping these concerns wash away the first time I mash the throttle...post break-in, of course.

Thanks for your insight.

·
Registered
00 g500
2,289 Posts
One thing to put in perspective, depending when yours was built, it actually has the benefit of nearly 5 years of potential refinement because the redesign happened in 01 for the rest of world.... which essentially means there were a solid 2-2.5 (or more) years in de-bugging the existing interior.

Xenons i think are the sad result of marketing ignoring science (they're more interfering of depth perception than yellower light), but that's just my take.

Superchargers don't improve engine braking do they? In that case the 63 would be nicer offoad and what with all the gear choices, but the 500 now does quite well as is.

Increased fuel efficiency would be nice with a 7 speed, but to me it's sorta like a pissing contest over how many gears can be put in a tranny. They should just be workin on CVT's (continuously variable transmissions) instead if they're trying to make cars that you can't feel the shift points in. CVT's are both faster accelerating and better city mileage (slightly worse highway though) than conventional tranny's. Nissan makes one that can handle 450hp in japan, but the tranny can't handle the minesota winters so it hasn't made it over here.

·
Registered
02 G500
2,254 Posts
B&O Guy said:
Kerr,

I am reticent about no xenon's, updated command, DVD Nav, improved seats and modest interior refinements.
Thanks for your insight.
Oh well if thats the case there is not way i would buy a 2007 model. I have an 02 and we will not go there, Also my father had a 00 S500 it had issues, my wifes 99 CLk 430 had issues, ever mercedes we have owned except for a 1990 SL500 had problems when getting the fist year. Not to mention MB is the worlds worst at you can get A, B, C, D options on the new 2007 model. So you get that one and in 2008 you can get the rest of the alphabet! Bottom line i think you will have a lot better luck with the new old 05 than a new 07 with the new features. Also i would not get to excited about the DVD nav, unless you live in a large city, They are a complete joke in the south, As for the seats i think they have improved them over the years, so im sure they will be nice, Also you can get Xenon's if you want them. I had a kit for a about year and half in mine, just a regular e bay cheap kit, I bet know you can get Xenons with HI and low beam for $12-1500 bucks and most are plug and play. You will just have to have the dealer switch the computer to it so you dont get HEAD LIGHT OUT ever time the lights come on.

I do have one question though that you might be able to answer, If mb goes by date codes in the door, mine is 2/02 which makes it a 2002 model, how are they going to build a 6/06 car and title it as a 2005?

·
Registered
479 Posts
Kerr said:
I do have one question though that you might be able to answer, If mb goes by date codes in the door, mine is 2/02 which makes it a 2002 model, how are they going to build a 6/06 car and title it as a 2005?

Kerr,

They don't go by 'built date' for model year ... since they switch model years half way through a calendar year (e.g. a build date 9/2001, is a MY'02; but a 7/2002 is a MY'03 [a white one was just on ebay with this dating])

As for MY'06, they are already hitting the dealerships ... one was on ebay already (which I posted on another G website)

·
Registered
02 G500
114 Posts
TheDogsCar said:
Kerr,

They don't go by 'built date' for model year ... since they switch model years half way through a calendar year (e.g. a build date 9/2001, is a MY'02; but a 7/2002 is a MY'03 [a white one was just on ebay with this dating])

As for MY'06, they are already hitting the dealerships ... one was on ebay already (which I posted on another G website)
This is true but you never hear of the car actually getting the previous year, just the next year. So they would actually title an 06 build car as an 05? That doesn't make sense from a consumer standpoint. No one cares if they get a newer year but they sure would with an older year and I imagine it would be a tougher sell for the dealer. Are they skipping the 06 model year all together? I haven't read all the latest.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I tell ya what...since this build/model year thing is an issue, when the 05 G55 comes in, I'll take it off your hands and you can have my 04 G500. I'll even throw in a set of AMG wheels with Blizzaks for winter driving!

That should make you feel much better about your decision. :)

·
Registered
02 G500
114 Posts
TheDogsCar said:
Jeff,

The MY'06's have already been released (and already been on ebay) ... was the expression "hitting the dealerships" too technical for you? ... lol

I also posted this on the other website, "I got a call from MBUSA today and was told a memo just went out about the 2006 G-Class ... not much we didn't know already. The new news is that the official launch will be June 2006; the price has not changed from the 2005 pricing (G500 is $81,675; G55K is $105,275); the Designo colors have been discontinued; the G55K will contiunue to have the Brush Guard standard, but will be a Dealer add-on with the G500 (so technically the price went up on the 500, since you used to get it for free) ... they will be updating the MBUSA website "shortly" "

So although they have already been released, they will 'offically' be launched "shortly"

fyi ... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2006...ryZ31854QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I saw that, what I meant was were all of the G's made in 06 going to say 05 on the title like his or if they actually continued to make the 05 Grand edition well into 2006. I guess thats what they did since this ebay one was built in 06 as well and doesn't have the Grand Edition badging and the sticker on the spare tire cover looks like it spells out Mercedes like it used to. I may be slow but I will eventually catch up!

·
Registered
479 Posts
They stopped taking orders and importing them a while ago ... and have been selling off their stock on hand (only 31 sold last month in the USA) ... but clearly dealers are running out of '05 and got approval to order '06

Ask B&O what is his build date ... bet it is some month in /2005

P.S. you can't be too slow with a SL65 ... lol

·
Registered
02 G500
114 Posts
I was confused because I thought he said his 05 was built in 06 but it was someone else saying that. That clears me up. I was wondering how the hell they could build a car and date it in the previous year but I guess they don't.

·
Registered
02 G500
2,254 Posts
he did,

also that one on ebay said it was a 05 last week, but they are waiting on 06 models.

at any rate, we will find out when his gets here.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Kerr said:
he did,

also that one on ebay said it was a 05 last week, but they are waiting on 06 models.

at any rate, we will find out when his gets here.
............that ebay add is so very confusing. But that is not even an 05 G55 because it is not a V8 Kompressor. Also the engine bay is that of the NA V8 engine. And in fairness to them, they actually never said it was an 05. Why they will use pictures of a 04 or 03 G55 to advertise for an 06 is beyond me.

Ted

·
Registered
2006 BMW X5 / 07' 55k coming
246 Posts
B&O, Wait for the 07'..Your dealer does not care whether he sells you an 06' or an 07'..! The updates will be very nice. The 55K motor is great, and as pointed out in other posts, the 63 is not really not that much different. I can tell you one thing. The 63 IS NOT coming until 08' at the earliest..!! My info comes from the factory level. IMO, you will have the best of both worlds..! New updates and a great performer. If you want more power, you can go to Hartmut Feyhl @ www.renntechmercedes.com. 1-561-845-7888. They have a $4995.00 package for the G55K and it is unbelievable. Hartmut is former AMG and is VERY respected in the industry as well as with Mercedes Benz. Good luck with your decision, as I am in the same situation. I am waiting for the 07' G55K.

·
Registered
'05 G55K GE
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
TheDogsCar,

I just checked mine and it reads '10/05' - Grand Edition #309. It's titled as a 2005.

I'm terribly sorry to hear your Firemist beast was pilfered.

Allan

1 - 20 of 22 Posts