Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1978 280slc
3,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I changed my brake lines to the braided stainless lines and bled the system and am alive to tell the story as proof of my success. I really didn't know what the hell I was doing and everyone makes everything sound so difficult. It wasn't a bad job I ended up having to buy a bunch of parts to finish the job like retaining springs, bleed valve caps, and a couple copper springs that go in the axle hub.

Does anyone know what this little spring does? it isn't a coil but a piece of bent copper

I changed the spring in the axle hubs because both were broken and apparently a piece must have been rubbing or something and making a tick sound when I turned hard right. I went to mercedes and they were able to get them to me in one day. Thank god because tomorrow I going down to SLOB(San luis obisbo) to see my family and am going to leave early tomorrow morning and take the coast fast. I cleaned out the greasy axle hub and refilled with bearing grease.

I actually got lucky because my dad was able to borrow a set of nut line wrenches from his work which saved me 20 bucks on the operation. It sucks to always have to buy a special tool especially if it isn't cheap. I'm real lucky I don't have to buy all that stuff as long as I give sufficient notice to my pops.

Just wanted to gloat in my progress how minor it may be.

Guess the bearings are still good so next project is to install amplified antenna, repair lock on door, rear torsion bar links to axle or whatever, fix the throttle linkage and that's all for awhile.

Thanks for the help folks you seem to know I need it.

·
Premium Member
1986 560SL with M120 V12 Engine, 1988 560SL Stock
11,877 Posts
Does anyone know what this little spring does? it isn't a coil but a piece of bent copper
They allow the dissipation of static electricity through an alternate path to the bearings. Bearings don't like to be used as a cunductive passage as it produces arcing however small and pits the bearings

·
Registered
1978 280slc
3,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No shit man. In the chiltons book they call it a radio interference supression or something. I figured whenever you start spinning pieces of metal close together it creates a field especially because when they forge parts they become magnetized.

Thanks for the help roncallo just curious what that thing did especially since it held the job up a day to get the part.

·
Forum Administrator , RC Colas® & Moon Pies®
1981 380SL 151K: 2005 S500 116K
39,298 Posts
Daryn, what do you have in mind when you talk about an "Amplified antenna"? Something aftermarket? Is it retractable like the Hirshmann?

·
Premium Member
1986 560SL with M120 V12 Engine, 1988 560SL Stock
11,877 Posts
No shit man. In the chiltons book they call it a radio interference supression or something. I figured whenever you start spinning pieces of metal close together it creates a field especially because when they forge parts they become magnetized.

Thanks for the help roncallo just curious what that thing did especially since it held the job up a day to get the part.
Radio interference it may be that too

·
Premium Member
2010 Mercury Milan Hybrid, 1993 BMW 325i convertible
6,077 Posts
Daryn, what do you have in mind when you talk about an "Amplified antenna"? Something aftermarket? Is it retractable like the Hirshmann?
You can buy an inline amplifier for a car radio. It'll only give you about +5 db, but sometimes that's enough.

·
Forum Administrator , RC Colas® & Moon Pies®
1981 380SL 151K: 2005 S500 116K
39,298 Posts
You can buy an inline amplifier for a car radio. It'll only give you about +5 db, but sometimes that's enough.
Thanks Scott. The Hirshmann is shot. I have to raise and lower it manually which I don't mind but if I forget to hold the base, it pops out and I was thinking of going to a different type of manual antenna. That gives me an idea.

·
Registered
1978 280slc
3,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The amplified antenna was fry's way of seperating me from 30$ but they also sell a retractable antenna there for 50$. It's aftermarket, but my antenna didn't give me good reception even when it did have libido. I live in the hills 20 miles south of frisco where they broadcast so the signal is weak and interference is high. The amplified antenna looks like a little black box, with just a hot wire to it and an attachment for the stereo coaxial. Let me try the thing first to see if I wasted my money which usually is the case or if I get actual improvement.

My actual idea was kind of stupid but it would be cool, I wanted to run this thing off the power for the electric antenna and have the thing hidden from view. Assuming the thing works and I could fix the mast I could have the best of both worlds, good reception and a working antenna which doesn't actually provide the signal. Just a silly idea I've got so many stupid jobs that this is near the back of the list.

I made it back from SLOB with no issues and even posted alright mileage ~18.5mpg. Down there on twisty highway 1 driving as fast as the 200pound lead sack in the passenger seat could bear. I never got passed but I also couldn't pass an acura nsx those thing must really handle. I couldn't catch that guy guess about a half foot in height a couple hundred more pounds of metal and a passenger didn't help the war effort. All fun though, no tickets and no issues, I even hedged my bets and left the spare at home, hate to hear that thing bouncing around in the trunk. I even got to piss some old dude in a solara off, I passed on 1 doing like 90 and there was nothing the guy could do, he stayed with me a little after that though.

Just wanted to post update, today or tomorrow I have to inspect the car to make sure everything is still tight. On the way back I was able to cruise like 80mph, but it wasn't worth getting a ticket because the cops were out in force.

Keep driving folks!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts