Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2011 GLK,2007 S550,2003 S55,2008 CLK,2009 C300,1996 E300,2005 E320,2002 E3
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fellas my 91 560SEC is more bouncy than the stock market. I really want to bypass the factory setup and use regular shocks. I once did this on my jaguar xj6 vdp. Have any of you done this?

·
Registered
'87 560SEC: '86 AMG 560SEC: '87 560SEL - PAST: Heckflosse 190 & 230S
1,479 Posts
Try a search on 'SLS delete'. This thread contains some info meantime.

If it's bouncy, rather than hard, it sounds like you're in the early stages where replacing just the accumulators (spheres) seems the most viable solution. Unless the rams/struts are leaking, maintaining the existing system can still be cost effective. Using John Deere (tractor) hydraulic fluid helps keep costs down too.

Removing the SLS means you'll need to replace the rear springs, and block-off the pump, in addition to switching shocks.

·
Registered
1991, 560 SEC
12 Posts
I did it on mine in september

Hi,

After 2 years of spending money to try fixing my SLS suspension on my 91 sec, I decided to change the rear suspension for a "non SLS" one. I installed new shocks and springs made for the 380 SEC (it wasn't SLS at the beginning).

I am so happy with the result. The only down side is when you carry 4 adults plus luggages in the car, the rear gets low.

·
Registered
'85 500SEL
1,829 Posts
I did this myself on my old W116 450SEL

I replaced the rear shocks with standard (used) one's from a non-SLS car and disconnected the activation lever under the car so the pump would not switch on when the rear was weighted down
As an extra precaution I had the fluid lines re-routed so that they cycled straight back into the pump instead of through the SLS system...I didn't want to risk the pump seizing up by running dry
The lines came out one side of the pump at the front of the engine, went around the engine bay and back into the pump on the other side
It was just one line that had to be cut and re-brazed

I didn't change the springs though and as expected the result was a very 'plush' riding rear end as the SLS springs are much softer than standard one's and had trouble holding the car up to it's proper height
Never had any problems though, it was just a little lower and softer than normal

Overall though it was not a difficult task

1 - 5 of 5 Posts