Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2003 SL500 , , 2012 E350 4matic wagon
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Recently Purchased SL320 Trying to figure out the ins and outs of the diagnostic system. Got a check engine lite and went to a MB repair facility to have them extract and clear the code. Evidently the Air pump is not working. I have purchased the DVD manual and also bought a subscription to Alldata. One of my questions is: is it possible for a "end user" to clear the codes with a device or thru the use of a jumper and any info on the control systems and likely culprit that is causing the air pump to not operate. By the way, the shafts spins freely - just not being engaged by the magnetic clutch. Thanks

·
Registered
2003 SL500 , , 2012 E350 4matic wagon
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply Bob. I have some more questions that either you or other forum members might be able to help me with. My appreciation in advance

1) Ok so you can access the codes from the multipin (30+ pins) OBD connector. I assume this is the X 1 1/4 connector
2) My understanding is this car (94) is equipped with OBD1 not OBd 2 which is year 96 and newer True? even if it could be read there are a lot of "system exclusive" codes for MBZ autos
3) Where can I find the pin out diagram for the OBD connector. Which pin corresponds to which system.
4) How does one translate pulses to the actual code number - is there a list of codes to pulses?
5) Can i feel comfortable shorting pins to ground in terms of the computers safety?

Thanks again

·
Outstanding Contributor
'03 SL500, '03 SL55, '97 SL320, (2) '91 300SL, (2) '91 500SL, '00 S500 -- all for sale
4,236 Posts
In response to RN's five questions:

1. Yup. The 38-pin connector is X11/4.

2. 1996 and newer is completely OBD2. You can read all system's codes on your vehicle with just an LED, I believe.

3. Jim F. has the pin-out on his website: http://pages.prodigy.net/jforgione/MB_X11.html.

4. The number of pulses corresponds to the code number: i.e., 12 pulses viewed would indicate code #12.

5. Do not hesitate to connect any pin on the diagnostic connector to anything else! The diagnostic pins are transistorized outputs with current limiting and can not be damaged by incorrect connections.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts