Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2003 ML55 AMG - 2005 E55 AMG
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I have a least 10 more problems with my "new" car, but this one actually makes me a little nervous.

I just replaced my idler pulley, as I was thinking it was making the noise, but that did not help (the pulley needed change anyway though).

I filmed the noise, and I am now 99% I am also filming exactly from where the noise is coming.

It sounds a little like a rattle, mixed with a deeper ticking. Now this of course is probably not a good thing, but what could it be?

Could it be the timing chain? (I know nothing about that part of the engine), except it can have some bad consequences if it goes.

The car runs fine, but the noise does not go away.

It is a 2003 Ml55 with 84000 miles on it.

MOV04596 - YouTube

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The easiest way to find out is remove the belt completely and then run the engine.
You're always helpful, thanks. However, could you elaborate a little on what that will eliminate/diagnose?

I assume you want me to do the following:
1) remove serpentine belt
2) start engine (I assume I can't let it run very long)?
3a) If noise is gone = I have another pulley/waterpump, which is bad?
3b) if noise is still there = next step, which is?????

How much should the pulleys spin by hand? my idler, which I replaced would keep spinning, but new one spins with a little resistance and only a few turns.

Specifically: How should waterpump spin by hand? and how should tensioner spin?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
02 ML320 06 ML500
17,098 Posts
You're always helpful, thanks. However, could you elaborate a little on what that will eliminate/diagnose?

I assume you want me to do the following:
1) remove serpentine belt
2) start engine (I assume I can't let it run very long)?
3a) If noise is gone = I have another pulley/waterpump, which is bad?
3b) if noise is still there = next step, which is?????

How much should the pulleys spin by hand? my idler, which I replaced would keep spinning, but new one spins with a little resistance and only a few turns.

Specifically: How should waterpump spin by hand? and how should tensioner spin?

Thanks
This forum is getting to be unbelievable. No one can use their own imagination. Everyone has to be spoon fed.

If you remove the belt everything that it drives will be idle. If the noise is gone, it is one of the parts that the belt drives or the belt itself.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The reason why I am very thorough about my questions is not to be rude, but simply to avoid having to ask twice. I even try to take pictures or videos to avoid just asking blindly. I researched all posts, and people with similar problems all pointed to the idle pulley, which I then replaced.

Now, since I did have the belt off to replace the idler pulley, I did check the other pulleys, and they were all rotating without wobbling or creating excessive noise. Unfortunately I did not start the engine (I was not sure if that would hurt something). I will do that now that I have been told it is ok.

I would still like to know how a water pump pulley should feel? (yes, I suspect this part after more research). I remember it was spinning with little to no resistance. Same did the belt tensioner. Power steering pulley felt more like the new idler pulley I put in, with a little resistance.

I have a feeling there might be different levels of knowledge on this board, and since I have never worked around a car before, I might start from a different point. Not sure why I should feel the need to excuse my lack of knowledge, when I always make sure to ask politely and say thanks to whoever helps. In the future I might take the advice of using my "Imagination", but until I feel comfortable enough with a relatively expensive piece of hardware, I think a questions is in place.

·
Registered
282 Posts
This forum is getting to be unbelievable. No one can use their own imagination. Everyone has to be spoon fed.

If you remove the belt everything that it drives will be idle. If the noise is gone, it is one of the parts that the belt drives or the belt itself.
Why so much of useless attitude. If you can't help him properly, stay calm.

·
Registered
2002 ML320
323 Posts
"since I have never worked around a car before"

The last w163 55 is not a great car to get your salt. Get your hustle on, I'm sure you can get like 5 diagnosis and estimates in the same day. Free. Just pop the hood, let it run ;) You say 10 or so problems, could just be systemic. Do it service, take it to a good shop. I mean you could throw a whole new serp belt on, cheap. Find a good local pro

Did you buy it like this? I assume it was in rough shape when you got it, had to assume it needed some wallet love.

43sqd has fixed so many Ml's courtesy of the forum, the courtesy reach around is gone :)

good stuff

·
Registered
87' 190E 16V / 93' 600SL / 02' G500
1,197 Posts

Hate to say it but I was halfway through a reply and I thought the same thing and deleted. Sorry but just take the belt off hand spin all the components the belt drives and Im sure you will find the culprit.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hate to say it but I was halfway through a reply and I thought the same thing and deleted. Sorry but just take the belt off hand spin all the components the belt drives and Im sure you will find the culprit.
I am so happy you decided to post anyway, since you really gave some great advice.:bowdown:

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
OK, I removed the belt again. Started the engine, and the noise is absolutely still there, but not as pronounced it seemed as with belt on.

I took a few videos of me spinning the pulleys, and hope someone will shed light on the spinning sound/action etc.

No woobling in any of the pulley, and only a faint sound from Tensioner and Water Pump pulleys (bearing sound).

Video 1 is the engine running without pulley. I seem to keep locating the sound to the smog/air pump???
ML55 Witout S Belt - YouTube

Video 2 is me spinning the waterpump pulley:
ML55 Waterpump - YouTube

Video 3 is me spinning the tensioner pulley:
ML55 Tensioner Pulley - YouTube

Now the tensioner and water pump pulleys did not have a lot of resistance, as it shows they will spin for a while. My idler pulley did the same thing, and I knew that it should not do that.
This is the NEW idler pulley I installed:
Video 4 of the NEW idler pulley:
ML55 Idler pulley - YouTube

If all pulleys should spin like the NEW idler pulley, I need to replace water pump and tensioner.

This still leaves me with the noise though, which still seems to come from above the pulleys at the air pump. Perhaps the timing chain????

Anyone?

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK, so I guess my previous post might have been a little too ambitious. Let me hopefully ask a more simple question then.

For me to eliminate the air pump, can I disconnect/turn it off and start the motor? to see if that took care of the noise?

If yes, could someone tell me where I disconnect, and other valuable info I should know before trying this.

Thanks

·
Purple Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
22,117 Posts
The engine will start without the pump connected.
You will probably get a check engine light soon after. Easy to clear with a basic ODB tool.
If it is not the electric pump then I urge you to please take it to good Mercedes shop. If
it were mine it would be on a flatbed if the noise is still there after the air pump is ruled out.
A flatbed to a service facility is a lot less money than some of those accessories under the hood.

·
Purple Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
22,117 Posts
Why so much of useless attitude. If you can't help him properly, stay calm.
You clearly do not frequent the W163 forums much. 43sqd has saved the members
a combined total that is probably well into the 6 digit range.

Up until a few months ago we had a second guru named Witek and he got sick
of posts like yours that were taken out of the context of the whole W163 forum
where a couple of members literally walked dozens of members through
diagnosis and repair of these trucks.

It has been ages since Witek has posted and I know many members miss his
valuable input.

43sqd has shown amazing patience over the years. He was trying to make a
point and you misunderstood it.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Luckily I do have another car, and I am not driving the ML for the time being. I Already have an appointment for leaking valve cover at an indy I have used before, but would love to at least figure this out before driving it there (or flatbed). The noise have been there for a time though.

Where should I disconnect the pump? Or is there a fuse I can pull?

Thx for the help, man I hope it's the pump, you have no idea.

·
Premium Member
02 ML320 06 ML500
17,098 Posts
You clearly do not frequent the W163 forums much. 43sqd has saved the members
a combined total that is probably well into the 6 digit range.

Up until a few months ago we had a second guru named Witek and he got sick
of posts like yours that were taken out of the context of the whole W163 forum
where a couple of members literally walked dozens of members through
diagnosis and repair of these trucks.

It has been ages since Witek has posted and I know many members miss his
valuable input.

43sqd has shown amazing patience over the years. He was trying to make a
point and you misunderstood it.
Thank-you. Amen.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It was not the pump. I disconnected it, but noise was still there.

Taking the car in Friday, praying...........

·
Premium Member
02 ML320 06 ML500
17,098 Posts
OK, so I guess my previous post might have been a little too ambitious. Let me hopefully ask a more simple question then.

For me to eliminate the air pump, can I disconnect/turn it off and start the motor? to see if that took care of the noise?

If yes, could someone tell me where I disconnect, and other valuable info I should know before trying this.

Thanks
Remove the electrical connector, red arrow.

Attachments

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks. I disconnected it, but it didn't stop the noise.

I'm taking it in Friday. Someone also suggested that it might be the harmonic balancer, but it looks fine to me. I'll let a professional have a look at it now though. I'll post back with the result so others know as well.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
OK. Car is in the shop. I will let people know what they diagnose the noise with. I hate it, when I search for answers, and people never follow up on their own posts. It's like missing the actual fact.

Anyway, they were not completely sure about the noise, but was leaning towards the timing chain. Further investigation and results later today I hope.

This got me thinking though, could it be as simple as just replacing the tensioner??? I found another thread, but the guy never posted if that helped in his case, and I guess chain replacements are not a common procedure on an ML anyway.

Has anyone reading this ever had their timing chain tensioner replaced, and the rattling noise stopped?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts