Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
DIAGNOSTIC READER WONT WORK

Hi - hope someone can help.

I have ABS light on and so far I have replaced the OVP relay with no improvement. I then took the car (Early 1996 C230 Kompressor C-Class) to a local indy. He has so far spent around 2 ours trying to get his laptop + interface box (connected to the circular socket under the hood) to talk to the car.

The software on his laptop keeps coming up with the message 'turn ignition on' when in fact the ignition is on. The indy is now blaming my car - said someone must have removed a wire from the socket !!
(Anyone any idea of the pin-out of the socket?)

I'm sure I read somewhere that there's difficulty in reading diagnostics from pre 1997 models. I have also read about a possible OBD11 socket near the steering wheel somewhere.

Anyone with suggestions re diagnostic set-up that might help?

I'm thinking about forgetting the diagnostics and just going ahead and checking the sensors. - Also, any idea where the ABS control Module is - I have a wiring diagram for a 1997 C230K that states there is an ABS controller 'Right Rear of Engine Compartment' but I'm sure my 1996 model is different. - Is the control module in the passenger footwell?

Sorry for all the questions, but any help is welcome -Thank you.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just purchased a innova equus 3030 at pep boys - approx $80 usd. And it worked on my 1994 C280. The device is only for OBD2, however, apparently the c280 had this capability in 1994, even though it was supposedly only avail. after 1996.
The message I got was 1341 - CMP Actuator Mechanical Failure. Now I actually have to fix the problem!

·
Registered
1995 C280 SOLD
44 Posts
Actron CP9180 from Advance Auto parts $84 w/coupon

Would this be a good Diagnostic scanner to meet my needs for troubleshooting? The reason I like this is because I also have other vehicles I could us this on. Anyone have experience or advice on this scanner? There are none in-store so its free shipping.

·
Registered
1995 C280 SOLD
44 Posts
Scanner out of stock at Advance Auto Parts

Well I would of been able to buy the Diagnostic Scanner CP9180 for $72 w/coupon but they are out of stock with a huge waiting list, :(

·
Registered
18 Posts
Sorry about that. There are other brands available in that price range however. As I said I got the Equus for $79 at Pep Boys. Has access to their online site, where you can plug in the unit via USB, and it will tell you the meaning of the code, and for registering and paying $10 they will give you repair info. Also include other good info that the unit takes from the car, like temp etc.

·
Registered
1995 C280 SOLD
44 Posts
I was able to get it for $45 after manager discount due to a problem at an in-store pickup, they sold it privately to someone else and I said what they did was BS. I will leave a review for it here after I mess with it. Some here are using a Chinese Carsoft setup, I might look into that. There is a lot of good info here in this forum, I'm looking forward to sharing mine also.

·
Registered
1999 C200 Elegance auto
36 Posts
I use the carsoft 7.4 system with no problem.It reads and resets codes on any modules that are wired to the 38 pin diagnostic socket,reads engine live data and can reset the adaption values of the gearbox and engine.
As supplied however ,it is only able to diagnose the engine as only pin 4 on the plug supplied is wired.
I put details in a thread called "how do you read fault codes at home" but I can repeat it if anybody wants me to .Another word of caution about this software: make sure you scan it for maleware after installing .I found 2 serious trojan virus's.

·
Registered
1995 C280 SOLD
44 Posts
Cool russpaul, I not able to fully digest that thread until I have more time. Do you have to use the IBM laptop like Star? If it is I'm thinking of using a virtual machine to trick that part. VirtualBox is free and it keeps trojans/viruses from infecting your computer, or use Sandboxie (free also) which is an easier setup but less secure.

·
Registered
1999 C200 Elegance auto
36 Posts
HI Benzwvu,
Your obviously some computer wizz as I didn't follow half of that last post but I do use an older laptop with a serial port as most people seem to have big problems when they try to use a serial to USB adapter.

·
Registered
3 Posts
38 pin Diagnostic code reader

Older Mercedes (1991-1995) use a 38-pin connector (Mercedes Benz proprietary OBD1). These can be problematic for owners when trying to diagnose a code for a specific problem. There are now two solutions: Ebay has several vendors who offer a 38-pin Mercedes OBD1-type adapter for an OBD2, 16-pin reader. Connect the 38-pin adapter to your car, hook the 16-pin end of the adapter to an OBD1 diagnostic reader and you're in business. (You still have to buy an OBD2 reader separately.)
There are also several sellers on Ebay who offer handmade code readers that have 3 wires, a reset button and a single flashing LED. These come with a booklet. Hook the wires up as shown, follow the directions in the booklet, count the number of times the LED flashes to get the code, then push the reset button to reset the computer. YouTube has several videos on code reading and resetting that demonstrate the latter type of code reader.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1995 E320 Wagon
18 Posts
diagnostic code reader tool for Mercedes W140 W124 300E 260E

Hi there, as far as the older mercedes go, we have had good luck with the ones sold on Ebay under username Porscheapriliafan -

the other place to get the tools for the 1987-1995 mercedes benz that we have found is: Mercedesplanet.com

These handheld tools are very simple to use and came with a guide on CD containing the "code bible" for all the supported Mercedes from 1987-1995 plus came with a printed users instruction sheet.

On a side note, does anyone have an idea as to what would cause intermittent hesitation with a 1990 300E? Plugs, wires, cap, rotor, coil, ovp relay and fuel filter have been changed. What would be the most logical thing to check next?

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
1993 300e 2.8
129 Posts
I've been making and selling code readers on Ebay for 5 years now. rpotter66 is my ebay name. If anyone just needs the code file email me at [email protected]. The reader and code file is for late 80's to about 1994. Gets kind of sketchy after 1993. 100 % money back if you don't like the reader I make. Its cheap and simple, made of quality parts. It just works. $37 bucks shipped in USA. Look at my operation video on the ebay page. Money back guarantee. Thanks, Rick

·
Registered
1995 E320 Wagon
18 Posts
OBD1 Mercedes Code Reader

Hi there, we have a garage and have had great luck with the mercedes diagnostic code reader kit available through www.mercedesplanet.com The same tester code reader kit is also available by ebay seller "porscheapriliafan" we have been told.

There is a few other kits, a bit cheaper made out there, but the ones at mercedesplanet.com are built the best and are of a convenient handheld design and they use a commercial wire with silicone jacket. We like that style tester too, as it has individual color coded test leads.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1995 E320 Wagon
18 Posts
Diagnostic code reader & reset tool source pre 1995

Hi there, we have a garage and have had great luck with the mercedes diagnostic code reader kit available through www.mercedesplanet.com The same tester code reader kit is also available by ebay seller "porscheapriliafan" we have been told.

There is a few other kits, a bit cheaper made out there, but the ones at mercedesplanet.com are built the best and are of a convenient handheld design and they use a commercial wire with silicone jacket. We like that style tester too, as it has individual color coded test leads.

·
Registered
1997 W202 C220
155 Posts
G'day Greg

First up I suggest you check your connector.....sounds like you may have the earlier 38pin socket (in the engine bay) and not the 16pin OBD11 socket (in dash near the steering wheel)

OBD11 was fist introduced in the US in1994 in limited numer of models......all 1996 an newer US passenger cars have OBD11

If you have the 16 pin socket then you should be ok with the Generic OBD11 scanner.....ring a few other Autozone stores to confirm policy....many US members of the R170 (SLK) Forum have recently quoted having their codes read at Autozone for free

If you have the 38pin socket then I can help.........my Aussie '97 SLK and most UK / European models have 38pin connectors

I purchased an interface and software from China that works with a laptop.....reads most of the MB systems and displays live engine and transmission data

Costs ~ $US100 delivered .....and only took 3 days to arrive in Australia

Good luck.....the 38pin socket will actually give you more info than OBD11

David
Hi David, I will have to revive this old thread as I got to read your post. I have a 1997 model w202 c220 (although VIN will say that it was assembled 1996) and have a 38 pin connector. I am interested to know if your scanner reads all necessary codes needed for out MB and can you give me an idea where and how I can purchase one? Thanks

·
2,872 Posts
Hi David, I will have to revive this old thread as I got to read your post. I have a 1997 model w202 c220 (although VIN will say that it was assembled 1996) and have a 38 pin connector. I am interested to know if your scanner reads all necessary codes needed for out MB and can you give me an idea where and how I can purchase one? Thanks
Screen Shot 2020-04-08 at 11.25.00 AM.png

21 - 40 of 40 Posts