Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 21 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
An update...I have performed the smoke test three times:
The first, I had smoke coming from around the throttle body, but could not see exactly where.
The second, I had smoke coming out of the ERG valve.
The third, I had smoke coming from both places.

I probably just didn't notice all the smoke in the first 2 tests.

I tried to remove the EGR valve and see if I could get it working. I got all the nuts off, but I could not pull the EGR valve from the pipe. It turns freely and moves in and out a few mm, but doesn't come off.

Any ideas what is needed to remove the EGR valve from the pipe? I don't want to break that pipe. It looks like it would be a bear to replace.

I can't see where the smoke is coming from around the throttle body. I've tried an inspection mirror, but it is very tight in there.

I'm trying to decide if I want to take on the job of disassembling everything necessary to get to the throttle body. I may just take it to my new mechanic and be done with it.

Also, I used the vacuum line to the brake booster to do the smoke test. I found brake fluid in that line. I think that means I need to replace the master cylinder or booster or both.

Thanks,
Jay
For the brake fluid, remove the master cylinder and suction out the fluid from the booster. If it is more than 100CCs youll need to replace the booster.

Definitely replace the master cylinder.

21 - 21 of 21 Posts
About this Discussion
20 Replies
7 Participants
okyoureabeast
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing