Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
1988 300e 75 300d 74 450sl
764 Posts
Is Dextron VI the correct replacement for Dextron III for use in W108's?

or is it ATF IV?
no dextron III is now labeled as domestic vehicle trans fluid. the dextron name is owned by gm and they have told everyone to stop using that name so they all had to relabel it. the fluid is the same as the gm fluid for 80's transmissions

· Registered
50 years of MB
5,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dextron III is not made anymore.

I can find ATF +4

and Dextron VI.

Dex/merc I read not recommended.

Read debates on Dex VI, only for GM, so I am still not sure.

autohausAZ lists ATF 4 and expensive OEM brand.

· Premium Member
1,247 Posts
dextron 3 is now call mercon , mercon is more heat resistant then dextron 3 . in the 60 / 70 there was 2 kind , one was dextron , the other was for early ford cars . so use mercon .wall mart has it in gallon size [ blue can ] or quarts .

· Registered
9 Posts
Well sure there is Dex III still available. Many auto parts stores will keep it under some generic brand. If all else fails, its not a terrible thing to use...

But for a W108, including the fluid coupling transmissions in early cars (all the way up to W124s), I use Febi 08971. I believe Febi labels it as Dexron IID.

You can find it in most online catalogs under MB part number 000 989 92 03. These days you can find it under $10/liter. But don't try that part number at a dealer... it'll sub to a much more modern fluid.

I've used it in many many cars over the years, and 100s of thousands of miles with excellent results. Highly recommended.

Jaime

· Premium Member
1,247 Posts
use dexron / mercon .it goes in auto / stick trans plus power sterring on your older MB .the supertech brand at wall mart is fine , being using it for over a decade in customer cars with zero issue . just keep it simple , and use what the old car use to use , dont put fancy stuff in there , the car may not like it .

· Registered
50 years of MB
5,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ton Hanson at Classic Center had me call Transmeister Mercedes Transmission Service.

For pre 1995 cars use Dextron III or IV or whatever they call it, or Dextron/Mercon. Use petroleum based fluid.

For 1996 on use new synthetic fluids.

· Registered
S430 103K; E320 Wagon 143K
628 Posts
I had a 2000 528i BMW wagon that called for Dex III and the dealer techs recommended Mercon V, which I used and never had any problems. I currently use Valvoline, Max Life DEX/Merc in my 94 E420 which was speced for Dex II or DexIII. Don

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.