Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '09 SL 550 that I got an awesome deal on because it had 1800 miles. Only flaw was the left side of the nav screen looked like someone tried to clean it with something they shouldn't have and messed up the coating. It has continued to get worse and the dealer says nothing to be done. Anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
930 Posts
It should be warranteed. 09? Theres a mercedes radio repair called Mid west radio or electronics. Look it up on the internet.

·
Registered
SL55 C350 & ML320
59 Posts
Hi

I had a similar problem usually was the car myself but decided I would run it threw a car wash. He must have scratched it with his rag it bugged me so here is what I found.

There is a company called ZAG they make screen protectors for phones IPADS etc. There cover is custom made for the NAV screen on the R230 exact fit and a pain to install. But it will completely fix your problem the marks will disappear. Plus you will never have to worry about scratching it again.

The negative on a sunny day with the top down it does glare a bit.

Hope this helps you out.

Ian

·
Registered
Sold my 2005 SL55, 2000 CL500
579 Posts
I noticed my Command Screen has the same issue on the left hand side. I think my Detailer had a new kid working for him and god knows what he cleaned it with. I didnt notice it until it was in the light the "Right Way" more than likely weeks later. Just ordered the part from Amazon. Will report back when I get it next week. For $ 16.00 what the heck.
Just to protect it from further damage. Another reason to detail your own SL.

·
Registered
2005 silver/black SL 65 AMG
171 Posts
Nav screen damage

Go to another dealer and try to have them cover under warranty.....I have done this numerous times with different branded cars when I got a NO from one dealer and had another one cover it.........similar ex. M5 BMW had aluminum interior trim that was discoloring and flaking, possibly due to previous owner using too harsh a cleanser.....one dealer in Annapolis said no, other said yes in Washington DC and covered $ 800.00 in replacement costs....worth a try.....

·
Registered
Sold my 2005 SL55, 2000 CL500
579 Posts
I bought one of those Zagg protective screens last week and put it in over the weekend.
Looks great and fixed the "Wear Mark" in the left hand corner. See the link from flyjets01.
Its a bit of a pain in the ass to line up and get the bubbles out. But other than a little lint. I did a good enough job that I am happy with it. What the heck for $ 20.00. Looks way better and really does not take any contrast out. Just read the directions. And wait a couple days and the residual moisture and bubbles seem to disappear. It would be cool if you had a window tint guy do it for you. He would get it perfect the first time. Way worth the cost and effort. Makes the command unit look like new again. And unless you know its there. Nobody would ever know what was done to repair the "Wear" damage.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts