Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1990 300SE
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Totally washed, degreased, and partially detailed (time started running out) the engine of my 90' 300SE. Used a few cans of Gunk Engine Brite foam, gel, and original. The foam is great for really cluttered areas, like around my throttle body. Really gets into the crevices. The gel is good areas around sensitive electronic parts, because it sticks where you spray it. Also good for areas with heavy grease, since it won't drip off right away. Used the original liquid stuff for the bigger, broader areas (like the engine itself). Also did the front undercarriage, but I never got around to taking pictures of it. Scrubbed it in with a combination of tools, but my toothbrush and sponges got most of the action.

Took out a lot of parts, like the headlights, coolant reservoir, air filter housing, fan shroud, alternator, and a lot of the electronic stuff. Unbolted and swung aside things that I didn't have time for/wasn't capable of removing completely, like the ABS servo unit, ac compressor, air injection pump, and pretty much anything held in by clips. This was, I was really able to get into all the nooks and crannys, as well as clean individual parts in a tub. Next time I'm going to take out the radiator, aux cooling fans, and ac condenser, as they really get in the way.

Afterwards, I polished and waxed the paint, and dressed all the rubber/vinyl/plastic parts with tire dressing and the like. I really wish I had more time to do this, as I would polish all the brake lines, coolant hose clamps, bolts, etc. Maybe I should do it in stages?

Anyways, here are some pictures.

Before:

Covering all breather openings and sensitive equiptment:

Removal of a bunch of stuff:

Let the degreaser flow...

Rinse...

Finished product:

·
Registered
93 190E 2.6; 82 300 SD Turbo
1,689 Posts
nice work. Looks good. I need to do that on my engine, i had some degreaser but the aerosol kinda ran out as the can was ages old.

·
Registered
'90 560SEL
2,551 Posts
Hey, GREAT JOB MAN! [:)] The difference between the before and after photos is amazing - like engine bay's of two different cars.

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
Man, it’s going to be like a new car. Did you paint the valve cover? It looks like a light gray, mine is black.

·
Registered
1990 300SE
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everybody.

No, I did not paint the valve cover. There is this black film that originally covered it (or most of it, never saw any brand new m103 pictures before), I'm guessing it's a heat resistant coating or something. Regardless, most of mine (and anybody with a m103 knows what I'm talking about) has chipped off, so I just scraped the rest off with a razor blade. Don't know what kind of paint was used on it (if any?), maybe I should try polishing it one of these days. Do you have any pictures of it JDC? I'll be right back with a picture of mine, as the above ones don't show it very well.

·
Registered
1990 300SE
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks nice... makes me wonder if it's possible to use an air filter housing from one of the V8's. My boring black plastic housing is... boring.

If you use a tire or rubber dressing/protectant on the engine, it will really stay clean for quite a while. Find some kind that foams, empty the entire can into the engine bay, close the hood, and then wipe it all off an hour later. Looks brilliant. Polish and wax all the painted areas inside the engine bay to keep them looking good. Sometimes it takes a few trys to completely detail your engine. First time you do it, you probably just want to let it soak in degreaser and rinse it. Second time, you want to really scrub any left over grime off. Third time, you completely detail it. Once you get past that initial "haven't cleaned the engine bay for five years" cleaning, subsequent cleanings are a lot easier, as long as nothing unplanned happens.

·
Registered
1987 420 SEL
2,095 Posts
Looking good Danwatt. I need to get mines done too so let me know when you can stop by. I'll set up the bar-b-que grill with some cold ones for you. Ha! Ha![:D]

By the way, I just polished my Air Cleaner cover using the semichrome polish and boy is it really shining![8D]

·
Registered
149 Posts
Engine looks sweet, its safer to use a water base dressing for the engine bay.

·
Registered
93 190E 2.6; 82 300 SD Turbo
1,689 Posts
danwatt,
i wish my engine looked as clean as your before pics! mine is in serious need of a good scrub down, a while back a friend of mine did some work on it, nothing heavy but he got some of the gunk off and shined the black parts.

Also, what degreaser did you use and how much did it run you?

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
Wow, a "How to" example complete with pictures.
Like painting, prepwork is the key to success. thanks for setting up a good example.

One question:
How did you manage to get the car out of the garage for rinsing with bunch of engine parts missing and throttle body covered up - did you let it roll down with gear in Neutral? Did you have anyone in the car while you pushed the car out of the garage? Because the garage floor looks flat while the driveway has some incline... gutsy move if you had to do it all on your own[:0]

·
Registered
03' C320 4Matic SS
670 Posts
i really wanna do mine def will do it this summer i'm just so scared to do it i feel like i'm gonna F somethin up so i need to cover the battery, ABS, Fuse box, and waht else can someone take a pic of there V8 and circle the things i need to cover that'll help soooo much i just wanna play it safe

thank you

·
Registered
03' C320 4Matic SS
670 Posts
this engine kinda looks like mine but mines a 560 V8 newer version neways can someone copy this pic and go into paint and circle the things i need to cover in the engine before washing

Attachments

·
Mercedes
9,046 Posts
hey jdc.. are those stock headers or are they just colored a different color? Mine were white.. and same goes for nearly all headers on m103's i've seen.

·
Registered
03' C320 4Matic SS
670 Posts
i'm sure someone here knows what to cover when washing the engine i dont understand why no one would ever offer to just grab that pic i had posted and circle the things i need to cover seriously thanks guys i'm sure its soooo hard to copy and paste a pic and use paint to draw on the picture [:(!]

i've posted atleast 4 times already in the cleaning and detailing section also and askin such a small favor whatever seriously i'm just gonna ask my fuckin mechanic

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
bronze560SEL - 3/30/2005 4:57 PM

i've posted atleast 4 times already in the cleaning and detailing section also and askin such a small favor whatever seriously i'm just gonna ask my fuckin mechanic
Sorry, I have no idea, dude – I’m too much of a big chicken to clean my engine. I’ve read way too many “Just cleaned my engine and now it won’t start!� threads. [:0][:(!][xx(] If I ever do clean my engine it will be very carefully with a rag and toothbrush. [:I]

·
Registered
03' C320 4Matic SS
670 Posts
its not ur fault i just dont understand why the ppl who know somethin wont tell others u know?? i alwasy try my best to help others of what i know

1 - 20 of 36 Posts