Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1983 500 SEC
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,i have asked this before and recieved no replys,I have a massive leak coming from beneath my torque converter,Can they break?is it common?,i dont think it can be the seal as it dumps all the oil in minutes its incredibly bad.Everything is still working correctly,gears are smooth etc.If anyone has any experiance of similar or can give advice please let me know.Incase it makes a difference it is a 1983 500 sec.Many thanks

this is what caused the problem!!

·
Registered
1983 500 SEC
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It does make sense i think,if i fill it up and drive it everything functions correctly.I am just saying that nothing seems to be wrong other than the oil gushing out the bottom...and i didnt know if i had broke the torque converter it would still drive???

·
Registered
' 91 350sel, '12 s350, '18 144 sprinter, '08 sl550
328 Posts
could have blown the front seal .......
no matter what turn s up to be the problem, driving any car like that is going spell early death to many part s failing in the very near future

sound s to me like the car was redlined for quite a bit for your video

·
Registered
1983 500 SEC
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i understand what your saying,i have done this sort of thing many times in the past and normally without trouble.Yes it was on the redline a lot but the engine is fine,its only got about 10000 miles since full rebuild at mercedes costing £8000 also had gearbox rebuild about the same time,all main dealer.Engines love a bit of redline,dont they?

·
Registered
1983 500 SEC
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Can a seal leak to this extent?is it hard to replace? it would be easier to get hold of than a torque converter...

·
Registered
1983 500 SEC
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well i will pull it out tomorrow,suprised at the judgemental comments,some people like to have fun in their cars and a quality vehicle like this should cope with 1 minute of abuse especially on a slippery surface.i was only after some advice from those that have more experience with these cars as i have been told its nearly impossible to break a torque converter.Many thanks and very sorry if my actions have caused offence in anyway.x

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
fun w/ doughnuts...I remember those days. but i was doing it in a W116 280SE..;-)

Sounds like you laid waste to your front seal, transmission is coming out.

Good news though, your LSD still works..!!

jono

·
Registered
1983 500 SEC
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
if its ok i would also like to mention i am a merc fan before the sec i had a 420 se '88,a 72 200e,a 90' 190e,88' 300ce,several 123's so its not like its just some old motor i have got to trash,it cost me a lot of money and although you may assume i dont respect it i have always found mercs bulletproof and ever had a problem other than a water pump on the 190.
[/IMG]

·
Registered
1983 500 SEC
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
can the front seal be replaced without opening up the box?has it got an LSD i didnt think it did,and thanks

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
yes, you can replace the front seal w/o opening up the box.. Hopefully the bushing in the pump is OK, when that wears it takes the seal w/ it..

w/ both wheels spinning like that I'd say you more then likely have a LSD..:)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts