Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Outstanding Contributor - Always Remembered, RIP
Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
52,804 Posts
Not just Mercedes Benz, they copy Lexus/Nissan/Toyota etc............

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,706 Posts
I have hard time to tell some Lexus from Mercedes. They copied even the wheels. Good part they are few years behind, so when I see pretty new Lexus with wheels that were MB style 14 years ago, the recognition goes much easier. :D
Personally I have been admirer of BMW styling for last 30+ years, even the single car I owned was a lemon. But lately I am missing the memories when you could tell BMW from a mile. In today's styling you have to read the label. ...

·
Registered
99 E430, 01 E430 Sport, 00 SL500
3,266 Posts
Not just cars. Japan copied other things, too, without shame. Look at some Honda, Yamaha motorcycles, they look just like Harley Davidson. I think Hyundai has just realized the dirty trick. They copy MB just like Lexus did to attract more buyers.

·
Registered
11,243 Posts
Yawn. Mercedes isn't innocent of copying or being influenced by other designs either.

·
Registered
38 Posts
There is a definite trend in well built items being copied with cheap asian knock off's. Harbor freight hasn't designed nor engineered anything in their entire history. Harbor freight, Huyndai, Kia etc are all in business to supply things to people who aren't concerned about having the real item but a mere look alike.

Imitation is the best form of flattery.

·
Registered
1962 W111 220SE Coupe
2,289 Posts
Let's not forget that the original Chrysler K-car was based stylistically on the SL of the era, and further, the Daytona made by Dodge was an homage of sorts to the Porsche 928. This is long standing practice that every manufacturer picks up, one could even argue that Volvo had the exact same headlamp setup a few years ago that the newest E-class now sports.

·
Registered
2015 C300 4Matic, 1978 240D
657 Posts
Hyundai is one of the more blatant companies when it comes to copying designs. They even show their cars in commercials along side the car's competition with the argument "if it looks the same and it's cheaper, it's the better purchase right? right?!"

I'm okay with it because nomatter how much a hyundai looks like a Mercedes... everybody knows it isn't :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hyundai is one of the more blatant companies when it comes to copying designs. They even show their cars in commercials along side the car's competition with the argument "if it looks the same and it's cheaper, it's the better purchase right? right?!"

I'm okay with it because nomatter how much a hyundai looks like a Mercedes... everybody knows it isn't :)
hyundai is like megablocks and mercedes is lego

·
AMG Forums Moderator
SLK55 (2006) C36 (1995)
3,288 Posts
hyundai is like megablocks and mercedes is lego
That's the best analogy i've seen for it! :D

Do you think it's evil that i pick out the Megablocks when i buy used Legos and give it away to charities? :p

·
Registered
99 E430, 01 E430 Sport, 00 SL500
3,266 Posts
>>if it looks the same and it's cheaper, it's the better purchase right? right?!

Wrong. New Hyundai is much more expensive than my old Mercedes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts