Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1999 SL 500, 2002 S500, 2003 ML350
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week, a lady was backin up and hit the side of my car. The damage was limited to a dent in the drivers side door, not to severe but enough to warrant a $2000 bill. The window works fine, no problems or anything. Yesterday, since the weather was nice, i decided it was time to take the hard top off, so i did. After taking the hard top off, i wanted to put the car away for the night so i went to raise the soft top. Unfortunately, the soft top does not raise. Normally you hear the motor trying to lift it or lower it but you dont hear anything when i push the button forward (as if i am tryin to lift the top). However, when i pull it, you hear the motor working fine (as if i was opening the top). I read almost all the posts about problems with raising or lowering the tops and saw some solutions. I tried resetting the windows like the manual and the forum says but that didnt work. I then fiqured it might be a low battery so i went for a 15-20 min drive to juice it up and nothing. I waited until today to see if it was something else and it still doesnt work.
I also read that if the computer thinks the windows arent down, the top wont lift. Is it possible the dent on the drivers door damaged the sensor the computer would check to see if the window was down and this is preventing the top from raising? The light flashes normally as if it works but nothing. Please let me know...
I am going to try to raise the soft manually after work and see if that resets something that might have gone off track. I will also try getting a new battery. But if any one has any opinions, please let me know.. thanks in advance

·
Registered
SL500, CL55, E350, E320
3,205 Posts
I think it is just coincident, if you still can get the windows up and down, it should not affect the top.

I also have a 99' SL500. My top would go down completely as oppose to yours. I dropped it off at the MB shop on Wednesday. They just called me to inform that it will be there at least till Tuesday and that it would cost over $1000 to fix.

So many people have problems with the top!

·
Registered
'05 SL65 AMG
505 Posts
SL500 in CT said:
Last week, a lady was backin up and hit the side of my car. The damage was limited to a dent in the drivers side door, not to severe but enough to warrant a $2000 bill. The window works fine, no problems or anything. Yesterday, since the weather was nice, i decided it was time to take the hard top off, so i did. After taking the hard top off, i wanted to put the car away for the night so i went to raise the soft top. Unfortunately, the soft top does not raise. Normally you hear the motor trying to lift it or lower it but you dont hear anything when i push the button forward (as if i am tryin to lift the top). However, when i pull it, you hear the motor working fine (as if i was opening the top). I read almost all the posts about problems with raising or lowering the tops and saw some solutions. I tried resetting the windows like the manual and the forum says but that didnt work. I then fiqured it might be a low battery so i went for a 15-20 min drive to juice it up and nothing. I waited until today to see if it was something else and it still doesnt work.
I also read that if the computer thinks the windows arent down, the top wont lift. Is it possible the dent on the drivers door damaged the sensor the computer would check to see if the window was down and this is preventing the top from raising? The light flashes normally as if it works but nothing. Please let me know...
I am going to try to raise the soft manually after work and see if that resets something that might have gone off track. I will also try getting a new battery. But if any one has any opinions, please let me know.. thanks in advance
Did you try putting the hardtop back on and off again. Also make sure the windows are synced properly. lower windows completely and hold the switch for 5 secs. raise windows and do the same. Try this with the hardtop on.

·
Registered
1999 SL 500, 2002 S500, 2003 ML350
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys,,, what i did was put the hardtop back on and closed it back it up... once i put the hard top, i guess it resyncronized itself. I took the hardtop back off and then was able to put the soft top up... i guess something must have happened last time i tried to put the soft up... thanks to those who helped... thats why this forum is great!!!

·
Registered
'05 SL65 AMG
505 Posts
SL500 in CT said:
thanks guys,,, what i did was put the hardtop back on and closed it back it up... once i put the hard top, i guess it resyncronized itself. I took the hardtop back off and then was able to put the soft top up... i guess something must have happened last time i tried to put the soft up... thanks to those who helped... thats why this forum is great!!!
One of the latches was probably stuck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts