Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello.
I just installed a Dension Gateway 500.
2 hour job to find the right cable settings and....

When I was going to put back everything (glove box etc.) up I tested it and that what is happening:

1) Switch on the Comand
2) Select Dension 500 from the RCA button
3) Play a sons from my IPOD
and till here everything work fine.

4) Swith the RCA Button back to 6 CD changer
5) the CD changer turn a second the 6 leds off
6) The Comand hide the CDC option!!

Now.. I'm not able to listen anymore the CD's and I have to unplug the CD changer power connection cable to restore the ability to play CD's

Furthermore.... I can't read songs titles on the screen between the two tachimeters even if it is written down I can read text.

Can you help me to find out how to solve this problem otherwise I give back the unit.
Thank You for your help

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm not familiar with the Comand HU, as I have an Audio 20, but some thoughts:

Is the 2004 SLK a D2B fiber bus? My E320 is a MOST bus, but I know some people have had issues with where the GW500 is located in the ring. It has to be immetiately before the CDC as it intercepts the messages for the CDC and acts on them, before the CDC gets enabled.

By RCA button, I assume you mean the switch on the Aux input module? On GW500 firmware before 2.07 you had to power down the fiber ring before it would recognise that the switch has been moved. In later versions it detects this automatically after a few seconds.

Finally, text display on the instrument cluster is not currently supported, but it is being developed for the latest MOST version of the hardware. This supports connection to the CAN bus and can display text on the instrument cluster.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How can I understand if i us MOST or D2B?
I bought the MOST one.
I have optic fibres that command all the ring.
I have if I remember well the 2.05 version in it.
I left the car all messed up and now here is almos midnight so tomorrow I'll check it better.

I didn't know the right name but yes was the AUX input module.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
On GW500 firmware before 2.07 you had to power down the fiber ring before it would recognise that the switch has been moved. In later versions it detects this automatically after a few seconds.
Does it mean I just need to upgrade the GW500 unit flashing it with new firmware?
That would be great.

Finally, text display on the instrument cluster is not currently supported, but it is being developed for the latest MOST version of the hardware. This supports connection to the CAN bus and can display text on the instrument cluster.
Hope that helps.
Is the MOST the unit under the feet of the passenger?
http://imgcash4.imageshack.us/img156/8918/030120081149cx2.jpg
It helped thank you. ;)

·
Registered
686 Posts
Does it mean I just need to upgrade the GW500 unit flashing it with new firmware?
That would be great.

Is the MOST the unit under the feet of the passenger?
http://imgcash4.imageshack.us/img156/8918/030120081149cx2.jpg
It helped thank you. ;)

No, he is talking about the actual metal box in the dension kit. If you have the box with 2 seperate optical ports (v3) then you have the one that (kind of) will be able to display text on the cluster display.

I say "kind of" because dension got the CAN transciever wrong, putting a 2551 on the board instead of TJA1054 so its not going to work without another module to sit between the dension box and the cluster.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No, he is talking about the actual metal box in the dension kit. If you have the box with 2 seperate optical ports (v3) then you have the one that (kind of) will be able to display text on the cluster display.

I say "kind of" because dension got the CAN transciever wrong, putting a 2551 on the board instead of TJA1054 so its not going to work without another module to sit between the dension box and the cluster.
Do you have a picture of this new kind of box? I only have 2 optical wire coming out from the Dension box.
Do You think I have to give it back?

By the way I just upgraded to 2.08 version.
Now it mess up more my system!

If I unplug the power supply to CDC then when I reconnect I can use it.
Otherwise it never appear again and sometime now with the new 2.08 firmware it stuck the Comand too!!

What I can do?? :mad::mad::crybaby2:

I thought it would be a great deal having this in my car but.. I'm wrong!

·
Registered
686 Posts
Do you have a picture of this new kind of box? I only have 2 optical wire coming out from the Dension box.
Do You think I have to give it back?

By the way I just upgraded to 2.08 version.
Now it mess up more my system!

If I unplug the power supply to CDC then when I reconnect I can use it.
Otherwise it never appear again and sometime now with the new 2.08 firmware it stuck the Comand too!!

What I can do?? :mad::mad::crybaby2:

I thought it would be a great deal having this in my car but.. I'm wrong!

take a look at this link:

http://support.dension.com/downloads/Gateway500_MOST_dual_FOT_Install_Guide.pdf

the new box is pictured: it is the same size and shape as the old one but has 2 optical headers and slightly different connectors. Also the Aux switch is new and has a blue LED on the front. If you dont have the blue LED then you have the older kit.

Now as for your problems, Do not worry... I will help you get it working properly :) The dension kit is really nice and works very well... trust me, I have installed more of these kits than anyone in the US. Your problems are most likely because there are some small detauls that need to be followed that are not always that easy to catch the first time you do this.

OK so first of all, lets go over your vehicle... It is a 2004 SLK, right? and you have the CD changer and it is in the glove box? Which type of radio do you have? IS it the 7" LCD command or the base model? Also where did you make the connection to the optical fiber?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
take a look at this link:

http://support.dension.com/downloads/Gateway500_MOST_dual_FOT_Install_Guide.pdf

the new box is pictured: it is the same size and shape as the old one but has 2 optical headers and slightly different connectors. Also the Aux switch is new and has a blue LED on the front. If you dont have the blue LED then you have the older kit.

Now as for your problems, Do not worry... I will help you get it working properly :) The dension kit is really nice and works very well... trust me, I have installed more of these kits than anyone in the US. Your problems are most likely because there are some small detauls that need to be followed that are not always that easy to catch the first time you do this.

OK so first of all, lets go over your vehicle... It is a 2004 SLK, right? and you have the CD changer and it is in the glove box? Which type of radio do you have? IS it the 7" LCD command or the base model? Also where did you make the connection to the optical fiber?

I have a SLK 171 2004 yes.
I have a CD Canger in the glove box and it is not able play MP3
I have a Comand APS with a 6.5 I think screen and navigation system
I have an Harman Kardon system
The optical fibers are connected all in top of the glove box where I placed the Gateway

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
10,864 Posts
Daniele,

First, you have the wrong Gateway 500. Unless European specification cars are very different from U.S. versions as to when MOST fiber optics were implemented, your '04 SLK has a D2B fiber optics bus. You definitely need to check this out. The phone bulletin for the U.S. version is at http://phdwebsite.powerpulse.cc/Phone Install Bulletins/SLK 04.pdf and clearly indicates a D2B bus. You said you bought a MOST unit. They're not compatible.

Also, my Gateway 500 (version 2 box MOST) requires re-booting the Fiber Optics bus in order to change from the iPod to the CDC. That means shutting the car down. Do you do that, or are you just switching from one to the other?

Last, you will not get text readout from the iPod in the instrument cluster or on the radio with a D2B bus. Dension may come out with that capability, but it is undecided.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Daniele,

First, you have the wrong Gateway 500. Unless European specification cars are very different from U.S. versions as to when MOST fiber optics were implemented, your '04 SLK has a D2B fiber optics bus. You definitely need to check this out. The phone bulletin for the U.S. version is at http://phdwebsite.powerpulse.cc/Phone Install Bulletins/SLK 04.pdf and clearly indicates a D2B bus. You said you bought a MOST unit. They're not compatible.

Also, my Gateway 500 (version 2 box MOST) requires re-booting the Fiber Optics bus in order to change from the iPod to the CDC. That means shutting the car down. Do you do that, or are you just switching from one to the other?

Last, you will not get text readout from the iPod in the instrument cluster or on the radio with a D2B bus. Dension may come out with that capability, but it is undecided.

I do rebooted many time.
I switched off the car many times
I left the car off more then 5 minutes.
I locked the car.
But when I opened the car again nothing changed.

I get in..
Turn the radio on and CDC will not work it just light it up.

How can I check what kind of fiber optic have my car?
Where can I see that for sure?
Is D2B similar to MOST?

I'm not really a geek in this case.
I just wonder why the GW500 work even if it is not the right system

·
Registered
686 Posts
now assuming that you have MOST.. you need to double check the where you installed the dension in the optical loop. The dension needs to sit just before the CDC with the fiber OUT on the dension going to the fiber IN on the CDC. If you pop each connector out you can see little arrows on them to indicate direction.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have MOST then.
I installed following the light direction.
Light come from the MOST then enter the Dension then come out and get into the CDC then It comes out again and go back to MOST.

·
Registered
6 Posts
It is a 2551, but there are some additional components between it and the actual connector which I think compensates for the lack of fault tolerance on the 2551.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It happend that...
The CD Changer is stuck!
I can't even pull out the CD's I have in unless I switch the RCA Dension switch and unplug the power supply from the CDC.

Any Idea?

·
Registered
686 Posts
It is a 2551, but there are some additional components between it and the actual connector which I think compensates for the lack of fault tolerance on the 2551.
um.. no.. thats not the case at all. Im not trying to be argumentative but you're just completely wrong:

First of all thats not how the CAN transcievers work. The voltage levels on the lines are different. Second, Ive been over the entire board on the new dension piece and there are *no* additional components on the transciever line.

Point is they put the wrong transciever on the board. I dont know why they did this but i can guess: MB is the only company that really uses the FT-CAN transcievers in their cars and even they are discontinuing this practice. It makes far more sense to support the most vehicles possible by using the 2551 piece and then making an adapter piece just for mercedes.

·
Registered
686 Posts
It happend that...
The CD Changer is stuck!
I can't even pull out the CD's I have in unless I switch the RCA Dension switch and unplug the power supply from the CDC.

Any Idea?
ok, where did you make the connections for the power and ground for the dension unit? did you verify the voltage at the connections?

·
Registered
6 Posts
um.. no.. thats not the case at all. Im not trying to be argumentative but you're just completely wrong:

First of all thats not how the CAN transcievers work. The voltage levels on the lines are different. Second, Ive been over the entire board on the new dension piece and there are *no* additional components on the transciever line.

Point is they put the wrong transciever on the board. I dont know why they did this but i can guess: MB is the only company that really uses the FT-CAN transcievers in their cars and even they are discontinuing this practice. It makes far more sense to support the most vehicles possible by using the 2551 piece and then making an adapter piece just for mercedes.
Happy to have a constructive debate :)

With regard to the components on the tranceiver line, as it's a multi-layer board it's virtually impossible to trace by eye, but I'm lead to beleive that CANH and CANL are terminated on some of the unused pins on the power connector block. There are local components connected to these unused pins that you can trace from the top visable layer.

With regard to the CAN voltage levels, the tranceivers generally pull CANH and CANL to the respective VDD and VSS levels. The fault tolerant variety do have additional components to detect the various fault conditions - shorts to ground etc, but are essentially the same.

My interest in CAN is from a hobbyist perspective, I built a PIC16F84 based module to listen to the CAN and pick up the steering wheel controls a few years ago, so I do not claim to be an expert, just able to read the datasheets! :D

·
Registered
686 Posts
My interest in CAN is from a hobbyist perspective, I built a PIC16F84 based module to listen to the CAN and pick up the steering wheel controls a few years ago, so I do not claim to be an expert, just able to read the datasheets! :D

I remember that! you tapped the steering wheel can frames to control a parrot kit, right? I looked at that years ago when I was doing research on FT-CAN.

Anyway the big different between FT and regular CAN is the transciever and how they handle the voltage: the FT transcievers have the CAN lines sitting at 4.5 and 0.5 volts and they both jump to 2.5v when data is present. with normal CAN its the opposite, they both sit at 2.5 v and jump apart to 1.5 and 3.5 when data is present. Additionally normal can has a termination resistance of 60ohms across the can lines to absorb reflections. FTCAN has no termination resistance.

Still the easiest way is to look at the transciever: cant do FTCAN without a FTCAN transciever, which the dension doesnt have.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts