Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2005 350SLK
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought my car three days ago, not too happy with the quality and delivery process. Here goes!

1) There is a small patch on the paint, about 1.5 sq. inch, where there are significant little swirl marks. You can hardly see it, but from a certain angle, it looks as if the pain has a dull patch. Nothing but a repaint can fix this and I am not too keen on doing this that because I know they will never match the color!

2) The standard mesh wind blocker was not included on delivery!

3) They were out of phone handsets, expecting delivery soon!

4) The steering wheel's leather was damaged by either the factory or the prep team. The leather is significantly scratched on the lower left side and can only be fixed through replacement (they better). I can feel this every time I turn the wheel!

5) The car is slightly misaligned and swerves to the right everytime I let go of the wheel. No apparent damage to the wheels, but who knows, I have not been under the car!

Compared with my outgoing Audi S4, I can tell you that the quality, pre-inspection and what not, stinks for a 50K car! I just hope they take care of these problems soon so I can enjoy my darn investment. I also hope that the engine lasts as long as a "normal" benz engine, which is a lot of miles and not suffer these leaks that some guys have been talking about in the forum.

Any one experience anything close to this.

·
Registered
2005 SLK350 2011 GLK3504X 2006 ML350(selling when GLK arrives)
1,940 Posts
BAZMAN:
If you update your profile with a location, I think you will get a better response and more helpful hints...[;)]

·
Registered
SLK 350
2,327 Posts
The mesh wind blocker was in my center console. I have also heard of it being packed under the trunk floor. At any rate it is a totally useless item IMHO. There have been a few postings about cars that pulled to the right. You'll have to do a search to find them.

·
Registered
350 SLK
1,528 Posts
Duo-Art - 4/6/2005 6:40 AM

The mesh wind blocker was in my center console. I have also heard of it being packed under the trunk floor. At any rate it is a totally useless item IMHO. There have been a few postings about cars that pulled to the right. You'll have to do a search to find them.
My mesh windblocker was not in the car either and, since I purchased the plexiglass windblocker, I did not notice it was missing for a while. However, when I went looking for it and searched all through the car and could not find it, I called my salesperson who got me one.

My car pulls slightly to the right. Will have it checked when it goes in for its first visit. Also, have noticed quite a bit of blue smoke out of the exhaust pipe on initial startup. Is this the oil burning referred to previously?

·
Registered
SLK350, BMW K1200LT
808 Posts
I've noticed on my car, although it doesn't seem to pull to the left or right, on long high speed trips on motorways/autobhans I seem to be holding the wheel harder than I would expect, to keep the car tracking straight. It seems a subconcious thing, and if a release my grip on the wheel, it doesn't veer off either way, I've never noticed this before on any car, but after a long drive, I end up with a pain in my wrist (and it's not the excitement of driving it[8)][8)])

·
Registered
2005 350SLK
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, so after numerous attempts to call up the Sales Manager, they have agreed to the following:

- Replace the steering wheel with a brand new unit, will this impact my alignment?

- Examine the paint and repaint if necessary, any thoughts on the best solution would be appreciated, I would hate it if they resprayed a brand new car! Maybe I can just have them note it down and agree to fix it at a later date if the problem worsens.

- They gave me a mesh wind blocker, it is such a flimsy item compared with the one used for the Boxter.

- The Sales Manager explained that the mileage is there because they DRIVE the car from the port to the warehouse and then again to the showroom, can anyone believe this crap [:(!] He claimed that they do not deal with big volumes like Toyota and that it is not cost effective for them to buy a car transporter, what a bunch of bull!

Any way, any thoughts on the paint would be appreciated. Lovely car though, I think it is great value for money!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Bazman,
I wouldn't worry too much about the paint/repaint but I would have them to it now/soon. Don't wait. I had a 'deal' from my service manager to get a free exterior detail service on my 1999 SLK that I got at Christmas in 2000 (for filing a positive satisfaction survey). I even had it in writing to come in any time with no strings attached. I finally went to use it this Christmas (2004) and would you believe they wouldn't honor it saying any offer like that would only last a year. But they agreed to give me a 'discount' on exterior detail if I wanted. I just told them no thanks. Grr. Just chalked it upto a lesson learned.

Anyway, I've had my c-pillar repainted twice from trunk rubs (they finally got it right the 2nd time) and you cannot tell. It looks brand new. It took 3 days for them to repaint though. I'm 100% satisfied they can repaint a new car and make it perfect. If you don't want to be out for 3 days you might see if they can buff it out. Exterior detail guys can work some magic.

By the way, sorry to hear your purchase experience was lower than your expectations. I didn't see how many miles your car had on it in your previous posting but I wouldn't worry too much with even less than 50 miles on a new car. Seems suspicious they would claim to drive cars like that. I thought the delivery charge you paid was to truck the car from the plant in germany to the dealership. Anything else seems like a lie to me. If they drove your car from say one dealership to another that might be okay. But if someone took it for a test drive that would not. I would ask the sales manager about it, but I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. If you tell the sales manager you are unhappy about it they probably won't do much. I mean what would you want? At perhaps 40-50 cents per mile out of your pocket it's not really much money to worry about. Maybe they can throw in some floor mats or something. If you are really upset though then tell them you plan to complain to the Mercedes USA home office when your chance comes up and they may become pretty generous. You'll get a MB Satisfaction Survey after a year I think. My dealership here in Indy was really nice and I got a couple of calls and post cards when it came time for me to fill out my satisfaction survey. If they refuse to treat you well, maybe your next purchase should be down the street here in Indy, or another town close by. A hundred bucks to one-way fly to another town and have the joy of driving your new car back to Chicago might just be worth it. I bought mine about 4 hours south of me and loved my drive home. I still think of it fondly like falling in love for the first time. Let us know how this all turns out.
Sincerely,
Douglas

·
Registered
2005 350SLK
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nice car dbottoms! I agree with you and that is why I am calling them almost daily. I always tell them that I have to bug them because I know with time, things will be forgotten about and commitments abolished! Any way, everyone in the dealership pretty much knows about my car now :)

I guess I will try their buffing first and if all else fails, I will ask for a repaint, the car has 250 miles on it as of today. Do not have the time to go cruising, but summer is near [8D]

·
Registered
slk350
20 Posts
sorry to hear of your woes.

- the steering wheel does not impact allignment.
- if the car is turning by itself it could be the allignment...or...some roads are "crowned" (higher in the middle than the sides), I have found my 350 will veer to the right on a crowned road, but not on a flat road.
- my trunk was re-painted and they did a wicked nice job, besides a little overspray on a decal inside the trunk lid you can not tell.
- The dealer here in Syracuse gave me a complimentary 13K service and an AMG lip for the trunk in return for the inconvenience of having the trunk repainted. something to think about.

happy driving.

·
Registered
2005 350SLK
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Still waiting for my Steering Wheel to show up [}:)] I hope that it does show up eventually. The dealer here has a monopoly and therefore, can do whatever the heck he wasnts. Unfortunatley you can't bypass him and order direct because he may not honor the warranty!

Still fell bad because I am not enjoying the new car experience because I cannot avoid feeling the deep scratches everytime I hold the steering wheel[V]

One of my buddies who has another benz told me that their service center is top notch, so I am guessing that they will do a pretty decent job when and if the parts do come in......

Word to the wise, you have to go over your new car with a microscope prior to sigining the dotted line, I discovered the steering wheel issue after driving 200 feet from the dealership!

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
3,560 Posts
Did you by any change get the 7G? Maybe you should have asked your dealer to upgrade to a Brabus steering wheel. Looks and feels a bit better then the standard MB one. I'm sure you could have done this if you paid a little extra [:)]

·
Registered
SLK350 AMG Sport
334 Posts
slk350cjl - 4/12/2005 9:34 AM

pray tell....which dealer did you use ? I have had no problems with my dealer as has others in the area....Inquiring minds want to know.....
Same here. 32 miles on mine at time of delivery but 8-10 of that was my test drive. (Naperville)

·
Registered
2005 350SLK
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Will try to negotiate, I doubt any flexibilty on this!! All I want is for things to be put right, is that too much to ask, I think not.... At the end of this ordeal, I plan to send a not too kind letter to MB headquarters, maybe then, I can get a freeby for all my troubles!

By the way, do you have a photo of that Brabus Steering Wheel?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts