Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered a GL450 on October 19th. At the time I was told that the car would be built in the last week of December. Today I checked with the dealership for the first time since I ordered the car and was told that it is scheduled to be built in the first 10 days of March. No explanation of the delay was offered. The car is Palladium/Cashmere, P02, 3-zone climate, lighting package, Parktronic, and blind spot assist. Question: is it common to take this long to build one of these cars? Or did someone drop the ball? (My salesman is no longer with the dealership; I suppose that could factor into the situation somehow.) Should I believe the March build date? Yes, I know; there are lots of cars sitting on lots out there that resemble what I have ordered. But I specifically did not want the appearance package, and that eliminates most of them from consideration.

·
Registered
2011 GL350 Bluetec, Irridium over Black Leather
51 Posts
I ordered a GL450 on October 19th. At the time I was told that the car would be built in the last week of December. Today I checked with the dealership for the first time since I ordered the car and was told that it is scheduled to be built in the first 10 days of March. No explanation of the delay was offered. The car is Palladium/Cashmere, P02, 3-zone climate, lighting package, Parktronic, and blind spot assist. Question: is it common to take this long to build one of these cars? Or did someone drop the ball? (My salesman is no longer with the dealership; I suppose that could factor into the situation somehow.) Should I believe the March build date? Yes, I know; there are lots of cars sitting on lots out there that resemble what I have ordered. But I specifically did not want the appearance package, and that eliminates most of them from consideration.
My guess is that they forgot to order the vehicle.

I ordered a GL350 Bluetec about 2.5 weeks ago and I got an immediate build date of Jan 12 (which has slipped to Jan 19). The dealer had incoming allocation that they turned over to me.

- Mark

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got a phone call from the sales manager. He told me that the salesman lied when he told me that the vehicle would be built in the last week of December. According to the sales manager, there is no way to predict when a car is going to be built when an order is placed. I guess that's if there is no "allocation" that can be utilized. I was under the impression when I ordered the vehicle that an "allocation" for the last week of December was being utilized, although that term wasn't used. I think someone screwed up.

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
Allocations are determined by volume.

I am finalizing my GL350 BTC order tomorrow. My dealer has 20 BTC customers in front of me; (which I verified) my build date will be early to mid March for May delivery.

Granted BTC's are scarcer than 450's so that may play a factor. I'm surprised that there wasn't a close match to your specifications available for DX.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why does it take until May to deliver a vehicle built in March? That doesn't sound right. I was told late March delivery for my GL built in the first 10 days of March. (But why should I believe that?)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Took me 9 weeks from order to delivery. Dealer said they used existing allocation to get accurate build date. Once car was built, took another 3 weeks for it to transport. You should insist on them swapping your order with one of their existing allocations. Otherwise, take your business elsewhere where they will -- your deposit should be fully refundable. If the dealer is large enough they should have enough allocation to give you a build date prior to your order.

Getting the car exactly to your spec is worth the wait. But should not take 4-5 months. Car is built in the US not Germany.

·
Registered
GL320 CDI - 2008, '04 Touareg V10 TDI, '85 Unimog U1700, '83 Mitsubishi 4WD turbodiesel PU
525 Posts
Took me 9 weeks from order to delivery. Dealer said they used existing allocation to get accurate build date. Once car was built, took another 3 weeks for it to transport. You should insist on them swapping your order with one of their existing allocations. Otherwise, take your business elsewhere where they will -- your deposit should be fully refundable. If the dealer is large enough they should have enough allocation to give you a build date prior to your order.

Getting the car exactly to your spec is worth the wait. But should not take 4-5 months. Car is built in the US not Germany.
Agreed - see another dealer. 'They' will get away with whatever they can. Don't let 'em.:)

·
Registered
2011 GL350 Bluetec, Irridium over Black Leather
51 Posts
Why does it take until May to deliver a vehicle built in March? That doesn't sound right. I was told late March delivery for my GL built in the first 10 days of March. (But why should I believe that?)
I was wondering the same. My dealer said Jan 12 build and expect to see the car by the end of Jan (and the dealership is in San Francisco, so about as far from the factory as you can get and still be in the US).

- Mark

·
Registered
61 Posts
I ordered mine 2011 gl350 from my dealer around oct 22nd. they grabbed an in production vehicle the earilest possible. my gl350 is already done being produced and approx pickup is next week. You basically got the shaft and are still getting the shaft by them telling you , you have to wait til may. that is redicilous!!!! at that rate you shoulda just got the appearance package.

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
I ordered mine 2011 gl350 from my dealer around oct 22nd. they grabbed an in production vehicle the earilest possible. my gl350 is already done being produced and approx pickup is next week. You basically got the shaft and are still getting the shaft by them telling you , you have to wait til may. that is redicilous!!!! at that rate you shoulda just got the appearance package.
In MY case, I specifically requested a May delivery as my GL350BTC is going to be a 30th birthday gift to myself. It will be the most expensive vehicle I've ever purchased to date ($85,525 sticker) and I want it to mean something to me.

My dealer's allocation worked in perfectly with my time frame with all the BTC customers in front of me.

Generally if you change an allocation with a LDOC (last day of change) of the day your order is placed, it takes 7 to 9 weeks for delivery to the dealer.

No one has an infinite number of open allocations, especially on BlueTecs.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
End of story

I went to a different dealer today, bought a GL450 and drove it home. It's not exactly like I had ordered, but close enough. It has the Appearance Package, which I didn't want, but I can accept that.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I went to a different dealer today, bought a GL450 and drove it home. It's not exactly like I had ordered, but close enough. It has the Appearance Package, which I didn't want, but I can accept that.
Good for u.did u get out of your other order without a penalty?

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
The appearance package will help resale and I think that that option is one of the best bangs for the buck that you can get as you'll get pretty much the entire cost of the option back on resale.

My local dealers prefer to stock used GL's WITH the appearance package. They do make exceptions if its loaded up with everything else but as a rule of thumb -- no appearance package, no buy.

Please do post pictures though!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
When I ordered the car they did not require a deposit.

I admit that the car looks better with the appearance package. And it certainly is reasonably priced, especially considering how pricey the run-flat tires are. I'm not crazy about run-flat tires, but one of the advantages of the 20 inch wheels besides looking better than the 19 inch wheels is that there are more replacement tires to choose from.

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
My dealer required a deposit, most likely because I ordered the most expensive BTC that they've ever seen. Hey, what can I say? I sure do like my toys!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Some dealers require deposits. Mine did not.

I agree the appearance package is nice. Running board is a must for kids. Also the run flats give the added safety in case you get a flat in the middle of no where. On the gl450, you also get the spare.

I was most concerned that the goodyears were the only run flat option on the 20" size. But bridgestone is now a second supplier and half the cost.

I remember searching the California inventory with my dealer and there were only 2 gl450s with P2, lighting, three-zone and no appearance package. I bet it will hurt dealer trade in if you don't get the appearance package in a car that is otherwise heavily optioned

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
Yeah. I have access to Manheim auction transactions and a loaded up 2008 GL450 with 45k miles goes for $2-3k more than a lesser equipped GL450 with lower miles. People really want them loaded up when used and that's what keeps resale values strong for the loadaed up cars.

The 2011 GL350 BTC that I ordered is:

Capri Blue
Ash/Black Leather

P2
Lighting Package
Leather Package
3 zone HVAC
Parktronic
Blind Spot Assist
Illumination kit for running boards
Wood/Leather steering wheel
Heated/Active Ventilated front seats
Trailer Hitch
Stainless Steel running boards
Rear Seat Entertainment
Heated Rear Seats
Illuminated Door Sills
Infrared Glass
Passenger Multicontour seat
Driver Multicontour seat
DISTRONIC
ADS
Black Headliner

I expect depreciation to be minimal with the deal I've negotiated as loaded up 2010 BTC's are bringing high 60's, with some breaking the 70k's at the auctions.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You were smart to order Distronic if you plan to do a lot of interstate highway driving. I drove my new GL on a crowded interstate for about 2 1/2 hours last night, and, since I am used to driving vehicles with adaptive cruise control, I found driving the GL on that trip to be quite tedious. I don't plan to use it for road trips, just urban and suburban driving. I had thought about using it for some out-of-town trips, but now I don't think so.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Runflat tires

As I have stated above, one of the reasons I ordered a vehicle was to avoid the Appearance package, partly because I wanted to avoid the runflat tires. From a test drive I thought I'd find the road noise to be objectionable, and I do. The road noise is very objectionable on all but the smoothest surfaces. I will change to non-runflat tires if I can be assured that the road noise will be reduced. Does anyone have any experience to report on this issue? I can't believe how little has been said about this issue in this forum. Reviewers often have praised the GL's low road noise. Well, most of those reviews must have been done before they adopted the 20 inch wheels.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The ride on our GL with 20" Bridgestone runflat is very smooth and noise free. Much smoother and quieter than our BMW X5 with 18" regular tires.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts