Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
SLK350
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

I ordered my SLK350 in mid January and was initially told a delivery date of around Sep05. Having spoken with the dealer yesterday, he now says a build date of Jun05 is likely. Being curious, I rang round other dealers to get an idea of delivery times and most have quoted between 12 & 18 months! Can anyone explain why the dealer I'm with (Redhill MB) seems able to get the vehicle in half the time? I'm not complaining, obviously!, just curious as to how the dealers work out their lead times.

·
Registered
SLK 350
92 Posts
I think they have a certain amount of movement when people who had cars on order cancel them, they can probably slip you in hence the improved delivery times.

That's what nearly happened to me. I ordered my 350 in March 04 and wanted it for Oct 04 as my current car lease expired then. They initially said that they doubted they could do it. Anyway they came back with March 05, so I sorted out a temporary car for 6 months. Right after I had received the temporary car they said someone had cancelled and that they could get me one for November, ahhh! just too late. So anyway I couldn't get rid of the temporary lease car so I'm now waiting until March again.

You'll get it quicker if you decided early on what spec you want. Then if a slot comes up and your ready to go they will probably stick you in front of someone who hasn't made their mind up on their spec. They did tell me that they often give worst case timescales.

·
Registered
SLK350
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've just sold my previous car and am now looking for a cheap runaround in the meantime. Thought the wait would be longer which is why I didn't hold on to my previous car - needed taxed, MOT'd, serviced and new tyres!

I was told that if someone drops out of the list, they ring the next person to ask if they want to move up. If they refuse, they go to the BACK of the queue! I find this difficult to believe or understand. I've nearly decided on my final spec, just trying to justify the extra for the APS COMAND system!

·
Registered
SLK 350
92 Posts
I think thats what they are supposed to do. But I was told to keep it to myself if I did get bumped up the queue. I can't believe I'm special so they must do it all the time.

I had exactly the same dilema about COMMAND but in the end I just couldn't justify it. The car was already upto £39K far more than I originally wanted to pay. Instead I've gone for a portable GPS which sticks to the windscreen. It can then be moved to my girlfriend's TT or a hire car when on holiday. I've often found that when I need Sat Nav I wouldn't even be in the SLK anyway so it just seemed like an extravagence I could do without. I would have gone for it if they had done it without the Sat Nav like they do in the US as it's half the price. I would like the DVD/MP3 playing ability but not for 2K.

·
Registered
SLK350 AMG kit
121 Posts
Like you my dealer called me yesterday and asked if I would like my new car on April 1st(I have ordered mine for the 1st September), this is because someone of the same(or almost) specification has dropped out. One thing is that you do not go to the back of the list, if they do then take your order else where. Also like a couple of you have said regarding the COMMAND for £2000 - I could not justify it. Especially as noted you can buy a portable one just as good if not better for under half the price and then you can spend £200 - £300 pound on a portable DVD/TV player as well and still have a nearly a grand left over.

·
Registered
SLK350
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I feel the same way - it's almost too much to justify. Such a pity it isn't available without the nav option. It's the LCD screen which I really want along with the ability to play MP3 and integrate an ipod.

Anyone know why it isn't available without nav in the UK?

·
Registered
SLK350
693 Posts
If you want to save a grand why not just get another car...buy a loaded 350Z and save 12k on a 350SLK
Saving money wasnt the point for me...in for a penny in for 40 grand, thats my motto with this at least. Its not a sensible purchase..that would be a Golf GTI surely. But throwing caution to the wind I could not justify the regret of not getting comand. No navigation arguments, no confusion about where the hell I am going, traffic rerouting (soon) and DVDs when I am waiting somewhere, with a unit that sits neatly in the dash. Its expensive, but a fun part of a fun toy. Carpe Diem, no regrets.

·
Registered
SLK350
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You have a very valid point - when spending this kind of money you may as well get what you really want.

I think I'll probably not be able to resist. Let's face it, I'll not regret getting it but might regret not[:(]

·
Registered
S280 SLK350 A200
132 Posts
I agree entirely. No-one needs an SLK and certainly not a 350.....it is what you want. That decision has been made so if you want comand (at only about 5% more) then why not. Go for it; it will make the car more sellable when the time comes, and more enjoyable until then.
Cheers Rusper

1 - 9 of 9 Posts