Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1995 E320
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 95 E320 with about 54,000 miles on the engine. I have owned the car for about 7 years. When first starting the car in the morning, there has always been a lot of noise coming from the engine compartment (sounds like a slipping belt on a conventional car). It seems to disappear in a few minutes but it's an irritant. Any ideas.

Also, when you first drive off in the morning, the transmission refuses to shift out of 2nd until the engine has warmed up for a couple of minutes. However if you take the revs to 3000 rpm, it shifts immediately into 3rd and then 4th. I can't find any mention of this being an emission control "feature" in my manuals.

Thanks,

Bob

·
Registered
G320 & E500
1,193 Posts
Bob J - 3/10/2005 11:14 PM

I have a 95 E320 with about 54,000 miles on the engine. I have owned the car for about 7 years. When first starting the car in the morning, there has always been a lot of noise coming from the engine compartment (sounds like a slipping belt on a conventional car). It seems to disappear in a few minutes but it's an irritant. Any ideas.

Also, when you first drive off in the morning, the transmission refuses to shift out of 2nd until the engine has warmed up for a couple of minutes. However if you take the revs to 3000 rpm, it shifts immediately into 3rd and then 4th. I can't find any mention of this being an emission control "feature" in my manuals.

Thanks,

Bob
The first thing that I would do is check and/or change the belt. Otherwise you could run into a more serious problem when it breaks.
The transmission holds the gears longer until the engine warms up. It's done to bring the engine to temperature faster.
It's pretty normal...

Chuck

1 - 2 of 2 Posts