Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another problem on my '03 C240 [V], I cannot set the delayed exterior/interior lighting on my car.. I have set the option via my onboard computer to 15 sec int. and 15 sec. ext., however upon turning off the car and locking the doors, all lights turn off right away.. am I missing a setting?

·
Registered
ML320/C320 Sprt
4,649 Posts
what kind of option do you have I think that feature...

is a part of C2 package[:(]I could be wrong.

·
Registered
2002 C230k
1,246 Posts
That feature is standard. Please try re-reading the manual and setting it again. I think...

That feature is standard. Please try re-reading the manual and setting it again. I think you may be missing a step. I wish the manual was better written.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have the C2 package..

I would imagine the feature is on my car or why would those menu options even appear? It seems straightforward enough, if the time is anything but 0 seconds, it should work.

[xx(]

·
'00 ML320 Elegance
8,965 Posts
You need to...

Another problem on my '03 C240 [V], I cannot set the delayed exterior/interior lighting on my car.. I have set the option via my onboard computer to 15 sec int. and 15 sec. ext., however upon turning off the car and locking the doors, all lights turn off right away.. am I missing a setting?
Have your light switch set to the "auto" position for this to work [:)]

·
Registered
E500S4, C240; Sold ML320, '72 280SE, '67 280SL, '86 300E, '87 300SDL
383 Posts
actually mine works regardless of where the light switch is...

·
'00 ML320 Elegance
8,965 Posts
Interesting...

What model year is your C240? Perhaps it is a change that they made for '03? Oh wait...all of the '02 C-classes that I have driven have also "behaved" similarly to mine. Hmm, it wouldn't be a '01 would it? [8)]

·
Registered
C240 W203 Avantgarde
47 Posts
I don't believe it works only on

I don't believe it works only on "auto" - what sense would that make? There's no connection between the two functions.

I think it's "broken" (yes, I know it's electronic). [:eek:)]

There's nothing you can do wrong in setting any of these functions, regardless of how badly the manual is written (who's ever seen a really good one? [V] ).

You just change it, and it's changed - no "enter" key to press or anything of the sort, you just leave it in the desired mode and exit the menu.

·
'00 ML320 Elegance
8,965 Posts
I figured that...

I don't believe it works only on "auto" - what sense would that make? There's no connection between the two functions.

I think it's "broken" (yes, I know it's electronic). [:eek:)]

There's nothing you can do wrong in setting any of these functions, regardless of how badly the manual is written (who's ever seen a really good one? [V] ).

You just change it, and it's changed - no "enter" key to press or anything of the sort, you just leave it in the desired mode and exit the menu.
It's a quick way to disable it if necessary. For example, I leave it in Auto in the evening, but during the day, there is no need for the delayed lighting so the switch is in the off position. I wonder if it has something to do with the Canadian daytime running lamps?

·
Registered
2001 W203 C240
79 Posts
Drew, I have the same problem as well. My interiors do not always have a delayed shut of...

Drew, I have the same problem as well. My interiors do not always have a delayed shut off.

guile, as for your exterior, I'm not sure what's causing the erratic problem, but the only explanation I can offer is your car's light sensors.

the nighttime security illumination only works in the dark AFAIK. so if you're parked outside during the day there's no sense for it to activate.

·
Registered
C230K
4 Posts
On my car, it seems to be tied to the daylight sensor. They only turn on when it is dark...

On my car, it seems to be tied to the daylight sensor. They only turn on when it is dark(ish) out. If I park outside they don't activate, but if I'm in underground parking they do.

R

·
Registered
C240 W203 Avantgarde
47 Posts
Re: I figured that...

I wonder if it has something to do with the Canadian daytime running lamps?
That would make sense. I don't know how they are wired, as we don't have mandatory running lights here. However you can set your lights to permanent in the regular interface as well (which I have - my silver car is not visible on light tarmac).

But with the light switch on "auto" (which I also have), the car still recognises whether it's daytime or nighttime (which can be seen very well on the Comand screen - when you enter a tunnel during the day, it becomes dark blue, and changes back to yellow when you leave the tunnel). The interior lights do not switch on at all when it's light outside, and neither do the "homing lights" (or whatever they're called).

The only thing that changes with the lights on "permanent" are the running lights. I find this very well conceived.

·
Registered
E500S4, C240; Sold ML320, '72 280SE, '67 280SL, '86 300E, '87 300SDL
383 Posts
its an '02

Drew,
Comming from you, since you are so meticulous about this, you are making me doubt [;)]. So I will re-check and get back to you on that one later.

For now let me tell you about the current setting.

At the beginning we only used the 'auto' setting so I might be wrong. But some months ago I set the DRLs ON (and turn the light switch to 'off'-you can turn ON the DRL's from the dash menu). During both conditions the fog lights turn on as soon as I turn the car off. With the DRLs ON they automatically go britter as soon as light conditions mandate, and there is no longer a need to have the swith in the 'auto' position. It behaves that way even with the in the 'off' position.[:)]

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Auto switch

Hmm.. I always thought the "Auto" setting was a completely different function relating only to illumination in dark settings. [:O] Makes no sense that the car has to be on "Auto" all the time to get delayed lighting to work, unless as pointed out earlier, it IS related to nighttime illumination. I had a 98 E-class and I swore the delayed lights worked in the daytime and nighttime, regardless. I can give it a try (weirder things have happened [;)]).

I know "Auto" works, I've tested this during the day by driving into parking garages. If the nighttime sensors are not working for delayed lighting, why would they function fine in "Auto" mode.

The car is 2003, not an earlier model. MB said it might be a memory issue with my car, but after only 2 weeks it's too new to drive it all the way back to the dealership. [V]

·
Registered
C240 W203 Avantgarde
47 Posts
Now I'm really getting interested. There seem to be different systems about (maybe in diff...

Now I'm really getting interested. There seem to be different systems about (maybe in different markets or from different years).

I drive with headlights on all the time, set in the dashboard computer (although DRLs are not mandatory here, but that's a universal feature of the car). I still use the "auto" function to manage the dashboard lights, the lighting of Comand, etc. I don't need the dashboard lights during the day.

The foglamp homing lights do their trick only when it's dark, and the same applies to the interior lights; when I open the door during the day, the interior lights do not switch on. Whether that's connected to the "auto" position or not, I don't know (I haven't touched this switch since I bought the car), but I'll check.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts