1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My left break light bulb went out and I went to autozone and
1. Got 7506LL from autozone but it won't fit. Returned it and
2. got 7225 bulb which fit great but
3. Still having the "defective light" problem.
4. Replace the non defective bulb with the spare 7506 but
5...Still having the "defective light" warning..

Do I have to order one from MB or got to the dealer?

Any suggestion?

·
Registered
6,651 Posts
Find out which group of lights triggers message. Use one group at the time. Wait at least 5 seconds before switching another group.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Find out which group of lights triggers message. Use one group at the time. Wait at least 5 seconds before switching another group.
Can you please explain how to do this "grouping"? This is my first MB and have no way of how to do this. Thanks .

·
Registered
6,651 Posts
Start the car. Turn parking lights on. First click of headlight switch, wait 5 seconds. If no warning turn headlight switch to second click, wait 5 seconds. If no warning turn headlight switch back to 0. Press brake pedal, wait 5 seconds. If no warning put it in reverse.

This is passive system that monitors current draw of each group of lights. If current is less then expected warning comes on.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. Just tried it and it seem to be that the break light bulb is the culprit. After putting activating both parks and turning on the headligh, I got " LAMP DEFECTIVE CHECK LAMPS" but all my brake lamps are good. So must I get the bulbs from MB dealer or is there anything else I can do to alleviate this problem.

·
Premium Member
17,193 Posts
I bought a brake light bulb from Autozone that worked. It was one of the Sylvania 7225 LL. At first it didn't fix it and I had to remove and reinsert a couple of times. I think the bulb base or that part of the socket must have been corroded.

·
Registered
6,651 Posts
Thanks. Just tried it and it seem to be that the break light bulb is the culprit. After putting activating both parks and turning on the headligh, I got " LAMP DEFECTIVE CHECK LAMPS" but all my brake lamps are good. So must I get the bulbs from MB dealer or is there anything else I can do to alleviate this problem.
If warning came on after turning on parking lights and headlights why would you suspect brake lights?

·
Premium Member
17,193 Posts
Good catch Witek M.

@amoka, this is why it was suggested you activate one system at a time and it doesn't matter which order you use. First use the reset (R button near the speedometer) to get rid of the warning. Then try starting with the brake lights (key in position 2 or start the car), press the brake pedal, what do you see? If nothing, keep going through the headlights, etc. BTW none of the interior lights will produce the CHECK LAMPS.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Start the car. Turn parking lights on. First click of headlight switch, wait 5 seconds. If no warning turn headlight switch to second click, wait 5 seconds. If no warning turn headlight switch back to 0. Press brake pedal, wait 5 seconds. If no warning put it in reverse.

This is passive system that monitors current draw of each group of lights. If current is less then expected warning comes on.
The warning comes on first click of the headlight but all my lights are good, it seems. Are there some hidden lights somewhere should check?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Are the front standing/parking lights the same as the high beam lights? My high beam lights work fine.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Front parking light bulbs are below high beam bulbs. Bulb type H6W.

Thanks. I looked and both bulbs are blown. Napa carries it for $15.95 each. Damn, that's expensive for a piece of bulb that is barely used.

I am thinking about ordering from here. Has anybody ordered from them before? Or does anybody know of a place I can order them cheap and clear the warning? I have heard some say the warning still appears after using bulbs that are not from the MB dealers. Has anybody experience this also?

·
Premium Member
17,193 Posts
I'm pretty sure my bad brake light bulb was a MB dealer bulb and it was a Philips. I couldn't find that brand locally so I went with a Sylvania. As long as the wattage and the configuration on the bases are the same, you should be fine.

·
Registered
6,651 Posts
Thanks. I looked and both bulbs are blown. Napa carries it for $15.95 each. Damn, that's expensive for a piece of bulb that is barely used.

I am thinking about ordering from here. Has anybody ordered from them before? Or does anybody know of a place I can order them cheap and clear the warning? I have heard some say the warning still appears after using bulbs that are not from the MB dealers. Has anybody experience this also?
Original MB part number is 000000-000172. $6.00 at MB dealer.

or $3.15 here 000000000172 (000000-000172) Bulb 12V - 6W (H6W) For Front Clearance Light in Headlight (2 Per Car) manufactured by OSRAM-SYLVANIA for $3.15 at KO Performance

1 - 19 of 19 Posts