Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,461 Posts
Katjek has already posted my reply in the original thread - "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".
I've NEVER had to replaced a filler cap in all my years of driving.

·
Premium Member
17,193 Posts
I have never replaced a cap either. But in my troubleshooting for the cause of a CEL I reversed the gasket on the Benz. That was not the problem.

·
Registered
3,461 Posts
Well, I was told once during a smog-test that I had to replace the cap. This was not a test-only station, but a service center that did smog tests as well. They tried to order the cap but MB did not have the cap in stock. And suddenly my car did not need a new cap any more and it passed the smog test perfectly. :rolleyes: And the same cap passed smog tests for an additional five years until the car was scrapped in an accident.
Since then I always take my cars to test-only smog centers since they don't have any incentive to fail a car.

·
Registered
304 Posts
My experience-
Last winter on my 2000 wagon, I had a check engine light. Read the code with a OBD II and I don't recall specifically which one but it was something along the lines of fuel leak. The only thing I did was replace the cap with an aftermarket one and the light immediately went away on first start up. No problems since.

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
The OP's replacement gas cap is the worng part # - and for him the "Salant" aftermarket gas cap won't work since it does not have the original plastic lanyard he is looking for.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts