Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am attempting to retro-fit my 87 3000E to r-134a refrigerant. The only problem is that my compressor won't engage. I hear a click in the dash when I set it to max A/C but no compressor.

I foolishly thought the compressor might have quit because of a low pressure switch. I figured adding coolant might fix it. Silly me- the compressor has to be running to recharge the system apparently! Does anyone know where the low pressure switch is and if there is any way to defeat it?

Thanks!

·
Registered
E320 wagon
953 Posts
There should be a low pressure switch before the thermostat switch. See if you have both leads off the compressor clutch jump it from the battery. Try to manually engage it. The only safety the compressor has is, Over charge pressure blow off / receiver -- lower pressure switch - Fuse.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Judging by the plugs that go into it, the compressor appears as though it will have many leads coming off of it. I'll see if i can determine appropriate leads with which I can jump it. Thanks!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks GDude..a ton. I have successfully engaged my compressor- I am currently recharging with new refrigerant. I will post when I am finished to say whether or not the compressor will engage correctly (without a jump) once it's fully charged.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts