Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally decoded everything on my options tag, mostly with the help of Mercedes Code Descriptions

The tag read:
4B 7088552
123123 10 08652 7
516H
515 542 580 593 638
467 491

467 was the hardest to decipher, apparently it's that I do have central locks and MPH/English instruments. I guess my question is, how rare is it to have gauges that read in psi and °F?

Also, what exactly do the first two lines mean? I got the 123123 part, but that's it.

·
Registered
18,534 Posts
The top line is the production number, indicating the year and build location - Sindelfingen or Bremen

Second line is the model designation: 123123 is a 240 D, 1 for LHD, 0 for manual transmission. Next are the color codes, engine variant number, and option numbers.
I guess my question is, how rare is it to have gauges that read in psi and °F?
They all did ending in 1980.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ah, Herbert is the H part. Couldn't figure that out either. I mean, I knew that 516 was Medium Red but didn't understand the letters.

So the only part that's left is the 08652 part. Guidance on that?

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Ah, Herbert is the H part. Couldn't figure that out either. I mean, I knew that 516 was Medium Red but didn't understand the letters.

So the only part that's left is the 08652 part. Guidance on that?
Could be the serial number sequence... what's your exact VIN?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
My VIN is 12312310030940

It made sense to me that 08652 would be a serial number, especially since the first line is 7088552. Now, I know most VINs start at 101 so it would make perfect sense that there's a difference of 100 between the first line and the second if the first line was a production or run number and the second was equivilent to the serial portion of the VIN.

...but my VIN doesn't match that. And that's kind of why I started this thread in the first place. I was wondering if someone could tell me what those numbers were before I started suspecting that my VIN doesn't match.

EDIT: If someone could just compare those numbers to their VIN and abate my worry by verifying that those numbers have nothing to do with the VIN, that would be great.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts