Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
3phase-4pole
4,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have yet another chance to own a 202 for a good price. but given my garage space and limited time and money, I can only keep one.

if I had a 16V, I wouldnt be even deciding on this. but I have a 93 2.6L black on gray running well at 212k miles. Everything work on this one (including the infamous AC, stereo antenna and rear electric windows). New shocks, new radiator, up next is the head gasket since oil already started to get into cooling system. other than that it just needs a good paint job.

Other little knick knacks ive done on the 201:
-replaced door cards
-replaced arm rest
-euro spec warning triangle in the trunk
-G class cup holders
-hella euro headlamps
-euro headlamp wipers
-bosch deep amber corners
-original euro spec fender blinkers
-original euro spec tail lamps
-rear headrest conversion
-electric rear curtains
-17" AMG monoblock II

on the 202 I am looking at - its a '97 C280 Silver. Running in the mid 100k miles.

any useful info on what to do? I will of course have to shell out money for the 202. but the difference is about the price of a paint job for the 201.

·
Registered
1985 w201 Euro 2.3-16vlv / 1992 w201 2.6 Sportline Manual
6,726 Posts
Sell me that triangle and i may look the other way on you getting rid of a 190.

Keep in mind any maint work may cost a bit more on the 202 since a lot of the 190 stuff can be DIY projects.

·
3phase-4pole
4,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kynyption said:
Sell me that triangle and i may look the other way on you getting rid of a 190.

Keep in mind any maint work may cost a bit more on the 202 since a lot of the 190 stuff can be DIY projects.
I have 2 buddies lined up for that triangle, haha

yeah I have heard the 202 having the infamous wiring harness problem just like 140.

I hope n0alpha would say something regarding this matter.

·
Registered
W220
174 Posts
We had a W202, year 1997 C230 NA engine with the 5spd auto.

The tranny was nice, 5spd auto but it was the electronic one, with more electrical brains.

Our car had about 85k miles and it did not feel as solid as the W201 and W124 platform feels.

Infact, the car resembled a ride of a light weight japanese car and not the roboust feel Mercedes should give.

Moreover, the car had mb tex and a lot of plastic on the inside which felt very cheap.
THe MB tex was thinner compared to the W201 that I have now.

Unless you can have it for a good price, I would much rather stay with a W201 or W124 chassis!!

But thats only my opinion.

Ohh and unless its a W140 and maybe a W210, after 1995 No MB feels solid to me.
My dad almost bought a 02 C-class, it was a C240 but neither him or I could stand how cheap the car felt!

I am sure those cars have more safety stuff than my W201, but man do they feel cheap..closing a door on it felt like it was a mid 90's civic!

YOu might say, eh what the heck are you talking about, its a merc, well not so not to me at least. So far no car that I have owned is a solid as an older MB W201, W124 etc...Maybe the 07 Tacoma that my dad has now feels pretty solid, but anything else does not feel solid.

I am thinking of selling my car just because I want a fuel miser, but I know I will be bored of it soon, ie used corolla or even a mk3 vw,

Well thats my 2 cents .......lol

·
3phase-4pole
4,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
190_2.6 said:

The tranny was nice, 5spd auto but it was the electronic one, with more electrical brains.

Our car had about 85k miles and it did not feel as solid as the W201 and W124 platform feels.

Infact, the car resembled a ride of a light weight japanese car and not the roboust feel Mercedes should give.

Moreover, the car had mb tex and a lot of plastic on the inside which felt very cheap.

Unless you can have it for a good price, I would much rather stay with a W201 or W124 chassis!!

My dad almost bought a 02 C-class, it was a C240 but neither him or I could stand how cheap the car felt!

I am sure those cars have more safety stuff than my W201, but man do they feel cheap..closing a door on it felt like it was a mid 90's civic!

YOu might say, eh what the heck are you talking about, its a merc, well not so not to me at least. So far no car that I have owned is a solid as an older MB W201, W124 etc...Maybe the 07 Tacoma that my dad has now feels pretty solid, but anything else does not feel solid.

I am thinking of selling my car just because I want a fuel miser, but I know I will be bored of it soon, ie used corolla or even a mk3 vw,

hey 190_2.6 - spoken like a true enthusiast. this is the answer I am looking for - thanks for posting

I have a W140 - just a 300SE though. and even with 6cyl, I only get 16~18MPG in the city. my 201 I get 20~21mpg hway (with AC on). I am happy regarding the practical aspect of the 201.

and I know what you mean regarding the solid feel of the doors - a friend of mine has a 123 and a 203 - and the difference of closing the doors is as different as night and day. and on the 203 - yeah its just like a civic or any japanese car.

ok good. that clears my mind. I will stick with my 201 for now. thanks again

·
Registered
W220
174 Posts
Hey z168,

No problem. I said how I feel on the subject and I think many other members will have simialar views like you and I.

I just wish I was born 10 years earlier so I could enjoy the great Mercedes of the 80's

My W201 will need some work to get it the way I like it. It is road worthy now, no problem BUT: some things are getting tired such as the susp and the blower motor squeeks when it is frigid cold.

I am battling with myself daily....sell the 190E and get a cheap feeling corolla or drop $1500 into the 190E and keep on trucking.

I guess it comes down the the finacial aspect.

I was talking to my MB mech and he told me how some well of landscaper bought a W210 Turbodiesel.
After cringing at the stupid problems it had, he sold it and bought a W123 diesel wagon. BUT he went to the MB dealer, told them money is no option and ordered everything to be updated.
He spend a major coin on that car, probably close to 10k or so just in updates on this 20+ year old car, but thats what he wanted as opposed to a newer MB which he felt was cheap and had silly issues like rusting spring perches

Well , i better stop writing and go back to study for exams =(

Any pics of your car?

·
W201, W202, W203, W204, W205 Moderator
Amethyst 2001 C320
1,733 Posts
190_2.6 said:

Hmmm, I dunno what was wrong with your 202, but I think your poor experience with the model is the exception, not the rule.

I've owned two W202's, and I love the model a whole heck of a lot more than I did my 190E. In contrast to 190_2.6, I think the 202's are more solid and robust like the W124, whereas the 190E feels pretty light. I used to fishtail a lot in my 190E, but the W202 doesn't do that nearly as much. Also, there's less body roll on a W202 going around corners.

As far as the MB Tex goes, I believe it's actually thicker on the W202's. It's pretty common to see worn out seats on 190E's, whereas I've never seen a W202 with worn out seats. I'm pretty sure this was a design goal when Mercedes designed the platform.

Regarding interior plastic, there's about the same amount in the 202 as in a 190E, but there's a heck of a lot more genuine wood trim and detail work on the interior of a 202. 190E interiors look cheap compared to W202's

As for head gasket problems, that only applies to 1994-1996 models. A 1997 doesn't have this problem.

The one thing you should be careful of with a '97...and only a '97, is the transmission. That's when they introduced a different tranny for the W202, but about half way through production in 1997 they changed the design yet again to fix some flaws. So if it's the 2nd gen 1997 tranny then that car is going to be a solid and reliable ride for years to come.

190E's are small and cramped, W124's are comfortable, but have just about as many problems as 190E's and they're usually over priced, while W202's are spacious and comfortable, and can usually be bought for a reasonable price.

Personally, I'd go with the 202. You're going to spend way less money on repairs, things will actually work the way you expect them to on a Mercedes, and the car will look and feel like a Mercedes should. ...as with all cars, be sure to have a pre-purchase inspection done at your local dealership.

·
Moderately subtle
12,647 Posts
Without any experience with the 202, I would guess you'd be making a step down, especially with the looks of your 201 and the maintenance you've kept up with.

·
Registered
2008 Outback 2.5 XT, 2012 CNG Civic
1,768 Posts
Eric, just found this post.... are you still thinking of this swap? My sis-in-law sold me the 190E, and bought a 2000 C 230 K. Seller's remourse still going on every day upto now:).

·
Premium Member
1986 190E 2.3-16, 1992 190E 2.3, 2015 GL350 BTC, and 2020 GLS450
2,419 Posts
I cannot see any comparison between the 201 and 202. The 202 was "contracted out": seats made by who knows how; the motor's harmonic balancer is pressed on the crank rather than bolted and so on.

Other than a 201 I would recommend a 140 in the eight or twelve cylinder range.

·
Registered
'98 E300, '10 GL350 Bluetec
1,253 Posts
190_2.6 said:
<SNIP>

I am battling with myself daily....sell the 190E and get a cheap feeling corolla or drop $1500 into the 190E and keep on trucking.
<SNIP>
Hey 190_2.6: I would keep the car, spend $1500 on it. It will be short term pain for long term gain....you will thank yourself one day.

Z168: Nice car, I really like the Euro touches, especially the turn signal markers on the fenders. I have an Acura "A-Spec" that has them and I think they look really sharp. Any chance of posting pictures of your "G class cup holders". I have no idea what they look like and where they will be installed; I really miss having a cup holder in my MB, and am looking for ideas.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts