Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1984 280GE
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello G-Wagoneers,
I have an unusual engine swap underway and I hope I don't offend, too badly, anybody's sensibilities or sensitivities regarding using non-Mercedes bits.
The engine I chose to replace my healthy if not overly powerful 4 cyl. engine in my 230GE LWB is from a company, MWM engines, of Brasil. http://www.mwm.com.br/site/ing/produtos.asp?idp=14#
The engine is "on the water", 'though it will probably be the end of month before I can get it.

The manual transmission I have purchased to use with it is a New Venture NV4500 2WD version with a 6.34:1 1st gear and 0.73:1 5th gear. See attached photo. I expect the swap will be reasonably straight forward, as the engine I ordered is not the common rail, electronically controlled one, but rather the more simple version utilizing bosch mechanical injection. This will keep the wiring issues within reason. The usual mechanical issues (motor mounts, transmission cross-member, middle drive shaft adaptation, larger exhaust, intercooler plumbing, clutch, transmission indexing etc.)are to be expected and truth be known is where the fun is.

Jim

Attachments

·
Registered
85 300GD LWB
501 Posts
Awesome!! Glad to see someone go for it in terms of making a change to a different engine/tranny. Could you give us a ballpark figure in terms of material cost etc?

Please keep us informed of your progress![8)]

·
Registered
1980 LWB 280GE
3,504 Posts
Looks cool. 4" longer than the 5cyl mb, and with decidedly different cooling requirements, that fit could be the biggest challenge. But, where there's a will, there's a way in that regard.

The NV4500 is bullet proof, for sure. A fella named Clarke Williams from Coos Bay Oregon has one of those behind a 6.2 NA GMD in his custom LR D110. He likes to say it's series LR, but there's not much left of the Series 2A but the VIN. His "company" designed around his idea of selling this conversion to ....well anyway... Yeti Vehicle Specialties didn't seem to take off. But his E-mail used to be:
[email protected] in case you want to give him a shout. Tell him I (DAve G from Bailey, CO) sent you...it might be worth a laugh.

Some times shifter position on the NV 4500 is a problem since it comes straight out the top of the box. Might put it pretty snuggly to the G's dash.

Were you able to get engineering drawings of the engine and trans to plan the swap into the G? You probably have all this stuff worked out.

Does the motor have a standard rear flange pattern on the block and crank such that FW, clutch, bell housing, etc parts from GM trucks work or something? That's usually how the Brazilians go.

What are you going to do for a transfer case? Between the motor and trans you'd be throwing a little more than double the max torque MB ever did at the VG080.

Definitely plenty of power there. Sounds like a good adventure! Please do keep us informed as you go, and keep good records. Others may want to follow in your footsteps.

-Dave G.

·
Registered
1986 280ge
70 Posts
That's very exciting. I'm sure there's alot of people quite interested in the outcome. I would offer some mechanical help, but my skills are weak at best. Good luck, and I'd love to see the outcome.

Biski.

·
Registered
1984 280GE
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Greg,
The 4.07TCA 4 cyl. turbo diesel costs $5000 USD plus or minus a bit depending on the accessories you order with it.
The transmission cost me $1975 USD new which is $100 more that the same one with the 5.61:1 first gear ratio. Rebuilt one are about $1000USD.

Rgds,
JIm

·
Registered
1984 280GE
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Dave,
The 4 cyl. one I ordered is similar in size to the venerable 2.3 on the way out. It is certainly a lot smaller that the 6 cyl. in my 280GE, so engine bay fitment should be ok. I may need to re-core my rad.
I did get full engine specification/engineering drawings on paper and as ACAD files. With that I have planned the engine location and will check to see how it all works in the physical world when I get my hands on it.
The engine comes complete with a clutch housing and FW. You are right that the setup behind the engine is GM truck stuff. In S. America an Eaton-fuller transmission is used in the GM application. Ford, Nissan, VW Light Trucks as well as many Brasilian domestic vehicle manufactures use this particular engine.
In CAD I have superimposed the transmission mounting bolt hole locations and the index circle on the back mounting surface of the clutch housing of MWM spec. drawing to confirm a workable geometry and it appears fine. Existing trans mounting holes in the clutch housing will have to be welded up and new ones drilled as they nearly overlap.
The 4.07TCA engine has a maximum torque figure in SAE terms of about 250 lb.ft. at 1800rpm. One of the main reasons I chose this particular engine was that it was powerful but hopefully not too powerful for the VG080 T/C which I intent to keep for all the obvious reasons. My vehicle useage tends towards backroads camping and not a lot of extreme stuff in 1st gear and low range.
Last year I converted my 1997 Lexus LX450 from gas to a 4.2L 24 valve I-6 Toyota turbo diesel(1HD-FT) and it is the finest vehicle I have ever owned ....um..errr... not counting my G-Wagens of course[;)] It was mechanically easy but electronically shockingly complex with ECUs up the wazoo. The wiring harness/ECUs interface maps developed for this are proving helpful for several other persons who have expressed interest in also doing this toyota diesel swap.
In this regard, the information on this current project will be available to any others who are interested.

Rgds,
Jim

·
Registered
1980 LWB 280GE
3,504 Posts
My Bad

Somehow I thought you were going for the 6. The four seems like a perfect fit. And that NV4500 should last for ever in that aplication.

When you re-core, go for "wider" tubes - that is longer in the long direction of their crosss section. Two wide tubes cool better than 3 narrow ones.

That TD Lexus sounds like a real beauty too.

I think our uses for the G are very similar. I'm sure looking forward to the power characteristics of the turbodiesel for my uses. I got all my "instrumentation" worked out today and have good ways to mount all the gauge sensors for water temp, oil temp, and oil pressure. I'm adding Isspro gauges for these things plus EGT, boost, and volts when I make the engine conversion.

Ran into a small snag when fitting the newer style piston vacuum pump. The guy who gave it to me said it was a direct replacement for the older diaphragm type, but it turns out there's a different drive method. The diaphragm pump drove from a splined collar off the front of the injection pump, where the piston type vacuum pump needs a kind of a cam plate in that location. I'll pick up a used one on Monday. Once I get that squared away and the manifolds back from the ceramic coater, the motor will be done and I'll just be waiting for the clutch and trans stuff from the UK before I'm ready to drop it in. Maybe another month or so.

Good luck with yours! Can't wait to see it in action.

-Dave G.

·
Registered
1984 280GE Cabrio
255 Posts
Parts!

You wouldn't happen to have a set of Recaro seat brackets? Bottom of the seat pieces and slider pieces on the fold forward base.

·
Registered
1980 LWB 280GE
3,504 Posts
I think it's the other way around. You'd better hurry up and ship it so I'll stop adding things in!
[:D]

Fantastic news, and perfect timing. The motor will be wrapped up by then and I'll be able to take a little break waiting for the stuff to arrive. Once I get your care package, it's just a matter of match balancing the flywheel and bolting bits to the tail end of the motor, then we drop 'er in!

I'll probably do some prep work as much as possible like figuring the new center shaft length and getting that part ready. But it definitely feels like I'm on the downhill side. I know my checkbook is. [;)]

-Dave G.

·
Registered
1981 240 GD
83 Posts
about the MWM engines...

these engines are very popular in So America.
The 2,8TD comes both with or w/o a varibale geometry turbo, and there you have the 5HP of difference.

It is widely used in the region by Ford in the Ranger pickup, by GM in their S-10 pickup line.

Very powerfull...high torque, and quite trouble-free.

Good luck with it.

Fernando

·
Registered
2 Posts
Wow! you guys are talking my language. I would love to pick your brain... and buy your lexus[:D]
I have been searching for the right combination of cruiser and diesel and would love to accomplish this for less than $25,000 Usd. How expensive was your Lexus project? Would you steer me in any particular direction i.e. : brazilian diesel/ '96 cruiser , or other scenarios. Thank you for your advice.

·
Registered
1984 280GE
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hello Cruiseruser,
If you go to the 80 Series technical section of the IH8MUD Landcruiser board and search on DIESEL CONVERSION, you will find an extensive thread about this project.

Jim

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks Jim, I'll check it out. Sill very curious about your lexus, the brazilian conversion and your perspective. Hope to talk more later. -Ryan.

·
Registered
G 500 06 / 300 GE Cab 91 / 300D 83 Turbo/ 300GD 1980
1,318 Posts
My defender 90, produced in Brazil ( they produce both the 90 and the 110 here) uses this mwm motor, 2,5 turbo.My truck has 40.000 km of travels and the engine is like new , low consume . The only thing is that the engine has more vibration than a mercedes diesel ( i drove a G 350 , which is not one of the betters mercedes motor , but it vibrates less than the mwm).

If you wnat a truck to go really out the highways....is it.

I love my Defender 90 , a very simple truck ,without electry windows...etc..etc...manual differencial locker, blue with white roof.

cheers

·
Registered
1984 280GE
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Greetings Zé,
I understood that the Landys use/used the 2.5 litre engine from International Engines of Brazil. Did your defender 90 come from the factory equipped with a MWM engine or was it converted later?
Or maybe Landrover has changed engine suppliers???
Before deciding on the MWM 2.8l intercooled turbo engine I entertained the idea of using the 2.8l unit from International engines. It appears to be a decent engine but the exhaust issues in a conversion into a G-Wagen would have proved particularly troublesome.
My MWM engine finally made it through the port of New York a couple of days ago. It took forever as there was a missed shipment out of Sao Paulo and then a real customs/homeland defence KAFUFFLE in New York for the container it was in. So, soon however I will be rolling up my sleeves and building my own version of a basic worker G-Wagen[:)]

Best Regards,
Jim

·
Registered
G 500 06 / 300 GE Cab 91 / 300D 83 Turbo/ 300GD 1980
1,318 Posts
Hi, 5 year ago They changed engines because of the brazilian new standarts for CO2 emissions ( internatinal do not met the new standart) , so my D90 has originaly the MWM 2,8 td.

It do not have a very high final speed --- about 135 km/h , but has low consume and never, never gave trouble of any kind.

Every thing you need ,

[email protected][8D]

1 - 17 of 17 Posts