Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
'92 190E 2.3
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this sounds like a pretty minor item in the greater scheme of things, but to a caffeine freak it's major! Does anyone know of a decent aftermarket cup-holder that will mount in the cab and look like it comes close to actually belonging there? Everything I've seen in the stores so far requires a flat surface or a carpeted area to stick it to, or looks so chintzy I wouldn't put it in a GM car (apologies), any suggestions?

·
Registered
1984 190D 2.2 5 Speed 172k
37 Posts
Not bad...those could fit in my passenger seat me thinks.

On a serious note...i was just wondering this same thing last night after a late night Wendy's visit.

·
Registered
89 190E 2.6 x2, 99 SL500 Sport
1,980 Posts
You could always get the flip down ones that mount on the door. But then you would have to drill into the panel.

·
Registered
1992 190E | 1997 BMW 328i | 2001 C320 | 2004 C230K | 2007 BMW 335i
346 Posts
While mine doesn't look like it belongs there, it works... I took a PVC coupler, and cut it up so that part of it fits next to the e-brake handle. And now it holds a drink. ;) It looks pretty ugly, but it was like $1 and this is my good ol' daily driver that doesn't need to look spectacular, just functional.

·
Registered
1992 190E | 1997 BMW 328i | 2001 C320 | 2004 C230K | 2007 BMW 335i
346 Posts
Yeah I know... picture is worth a thousand words in this situation, but I'm at the office and parked my car way far away. Maybe in a few.

·
Registered
1990 190E 2.6
289 Posts
I have put one in my car where the cassette holders were, it was a 1DIN part from like a 95 Ford Taurus. It works alright for cans of soda and smaller cups but not anything like a big gulp. If I did it again i would have put it in so that it stuck out farther to clear the climate control. I will snap a pic when I get home.

BTW guys let me have it for putting a Ford part in my Mercedes :D

·
Registered
"1992 190E 2.6" "1990 Lincoln Mark VII LSC" "1992 Lincoln Mark VII BB"
12 Posts
You might want to try this. Autozone sells a cup holder that attaches to the A/C vents on your dash.
I used them on my lincoln Mark VII and now on my 190. They are easy to install and to remove too.

·
IR MODERATOR
1996 Volvo 855GLT, 1993 MB 190e 2.3 8v, 1998 Subaru Outback SUS, 1991 BMW 525, 1998 MB C230
9,228 Posts
o god say it aint a taurus cupholder... it blocks off the radio completely

·
Registered
1983 300D
82 Posts
that DIN holder looks ok, but i've never seen/used one. i bought this black plastic cup holder at wal-mart that's called the "euro-cup holder" or some shit. there's a small and large version of it. the small one is "workable" but not very solid. it's $3 so cest la vie. i have it mounted under the armrest on that little piece of carpet. when you have a drink you have to put the arm rest up. it's far from ideal but at least gives somewhere to put a cup of joe.

how a continent given a 2000+ year headstart thought to make cars without cupholders is beyond me ;]

·
Registered
193 Posts
Heres my idea:

I was planning to retrofit a cup holder from the E36, since the center console on them are pretty similar to the 190's. Now ive never seen one in real life so im not exactly sure on size but im willing to do a little cutting and molding. I think it will be the best/cleanest setup if i get it together properly. Heres some more pics to get an idea of what i plan to do, since explaining isnt one of my strengths.

You can see here that the little skinny part beside the handbrake is about the same size as the 190, which leads me to believe it should fit pretty easily.

What you guys think?

·
Registered
1988 190D 2.5, 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo, 1998 Lexus LX470, 1986 Honda VFR700
26 Posts
This is a solution I did. Found the cup holder in a junkyard in a 190. Someone had tried to remove it, but snapped off the plastic clips holding the base and upper section and gave up. Lucky for me... :D Parts fit up well together and Super Glue solved the permanent connection problem in the end.

The cupholder was made in Germany, I tried to Google the part number at the time, but couldn't get relevant hits. The base fits perfectly where I positioned it with a couple of screws. The holder part both rotates and expands to most cup sizes (Button in upper right side in Pic #1).

I do really like the idea Mike919 has for the e36 in this thread. Look forward to see if he can get it to work.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.