Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all. What's up? I haven't really been active here lately so I thought I'd make a thread and check in with a big update.

After I sold the 97' S420 I thought I was done with luxury cars. I really didn't want to have anything to do with large four door sedans anymore... In fact I even talked to a few of you about this over PM, lol.

I had a need for a sports car like a Corvette but I settled with a pretty unique little 1991 MR2. That satisfied my sports car desire. What a fun little car that was. I've recently changed my mind about the Corvette though (for now). I guess it's a 'been there, done that' kind of thing. If I'm to buy a sports car again, it would have to be something very unique like an Acura NSX.

Anyway, I sold the MR2 recently. The new owner is a toyota guy and fell in love with it immediately. I really wasn't sure what to get after I sold it. I even thought about putting around in my little blue mirage coupe for awhile but that idea fizzled out quickly. I'm getting bored of it lol. Anyway I've looked at all sorts of cars and finally settled with the idea that I need to get a 98-00 LS400. I even considered the LS430 but for considerably more money and very similar ride I couldn't justify it.

It's really ironic that I bought a Lexus LS400 knowing very well that I get bored of cars very easily. lol.

This 1998 LS was owned by an older Japanese gentleman in a very upscale neighborhood in Cary, NC. It's a two owner car. Clean and clear title. Always garage kept but he did use it as his daily driver commutes to Fayetteville. It has 184k miles. The previous owner before him was his sister, she gave the car to him as a gift in 2005. I received the Lexus Key code flat key (the credit card looking thing), the lojack registration card, and all service history from the car since 2005 and all owners manuals/books. On the test drive I pushed the gas a little bit and he screamed "whoa that's fast"! I take it he has never abused the car or raced it. That is the great thing about buying a car from fragile old people lol.

He never really cleaned the interior or put leather conditioner on either (but it still looks great overall) I did not clean the car in the pictures below except for the engine compartment.

The saving grace is that it has always been garage kept and pretty much never subjected to the elements. No dings or scratches anywhere, but it does have a bit of a blemish on the driver's side bumper and a few little nicks on the rear bumper. He told me someone scraped against the car when he was on a business trip to Boston, but it's barely noticeable so it's fine. The paint on this car is still amazing and it appears as if it's hasn't been clayed or waxed, ever.. First thing I will do is polish her up and put a coat of aircraft wax. This did wonders on my W140. Some tire dressing will also do the trick.

I did clean the engine compartment yesterday. It had what seemed like years of dust and dirt built up. I removed the engine covers and with a few cans of degreaser got it looking like new again. The dirt just glided right off. I also cleaned up the engine covers and put in a new air filter. The old air filter looked like it had been there for years. This man was definitely not a car guy... So I went to clean the throttle body (Major PITA to remove that hose and put it back on btw) To my surprise it was as clean as can be! The old air filter was super dirty but it did such a good job filtering. The opposite side of the filter was pure white so I know it did it's job. Speaking of filters this car also has some kind of filtration system like the w140 had the carbon filtration. I forget what it's called on the LS.

Everything on this car works except for the key fob. Previous owner somehow screwed up both key fobs... The hood shocks are also getting a little weak. It's a cheap fix though. I am utterly surprised at how cheap it is to keep the LS400 on the road.

We used to have a 92' and a 95' LS400 in the family. Both were black, the 92' had 99' style GS300 5 spoke sport rims and looked very nice. Both car were very reliable, we never had problems with them. At the time I despised them both because they were so boring to drive.

I'd like to write a review on the comparisons between my 97' S420 and this 98' LS400 but I want to drive this car around for a few more weeks before writing a more 'formal' review. These cars are definitely apples and oranges. I can't stress that enough, the W140 is built for a different clientele than the LS400. Here are some quick thoughts about driving experience, interior, and exterior for now.

Driving experience: The LS400 feels more like an ultra refined Mercedes, almost too refined. Not wallowing or floating but more easily unsettled by undulating pavement. Steering feedback is much nicer than the 97' and earlier LS400s but this car really needs some 18 inch rims, stiffer springs and shocks to bring out a sporty feel it very much deserves. Despite all that, It's a VERY nimble car at 3800lbs. The 0-60 of this car is surprisingly on par with the W140 S600. 1998 was the first year of the VVTi engine and 5 speed driver adaptive auto. This car does too good of a job isolating the driver from the road. There is no drama when accelerating at any speed. The W140 722.6 transmission was smooth, but the LS400 transmission is silky silk smooth. It's unbelievable how perfect the engine and transmission are in this car. So much power, so much torque, yet very muted at WOT when the windows are up. This can be a good or bad thing depending on how you look at it.

The W140 felt like a sports sedan in the body of a large heavy sedan. The LS400 feels like a large sedan that is capable of becoming a sports sedan with the right suspension/wheel set up.

While the LS is a very safe automobile, it doesn't feel invincible from the driver's seat against the outside world like the W140. I don't know how to describe it but you felt safer in the W140, like being inside a tank. I'm sure LS400's safety is top notch though. Cabin noise is considerably lower than the W140. When arriving somewhere after a trip, you feel just as refreshed as the W140.

Interior experience: When you put the key in the ignition the steering wheel will adjust to where you normally have it. When you remove the key the steering wheel goes up and in towards the car. I like this feature a lot. I love the information display screen and the instrument cluster. It makes the W140s instrument cluster look like it came out of the stone age. lol. Just yesterday this display was letting me know that one of my brake light bulbs was blown out and today it reminded me that my door was cracked open as well. It also has the typical fuel range, average mpg, instant mpg and you can cycle it with the steering wheel buttons... The LS interior certainly does look more modern even though it has a 'luxury toyota camry' aura to it. I believe the W140 had more rear legroom, or at least it appeared that way. With the black interior it actually looks pretty darn luxurious though. All the controls are easy to reach, and the six disc CD changer is easily accessible in the first glove compartment. The second glove compartment is enormous by the way. The leather wrapped steering wheel feels nicer than the S420 vinyl type steering wheel. Leather quality feels supple and smooth, still looks like new even though I haven't used conditioner on it. I don't like that the heated seats only have one setting... I also don't like that there is no thigh support on the LS for this year. Very disappointing but it's still very comfortable so no complaints. I've been spoiled by the W140s thigh adjustment. The W140 has the more luxurious looking interior, a bit dated looking but still timeless. This LS400 has the more uncommon black interior. The beige interior in the LS is quite frankly butt ugly. Bottom line: I wouldn't have bought an LS if it wasn't for the black interior. It's as simple as that.

Exterior appearance. I like the LS400 for it's very modern yet subtle exterior appearance. They did a great job with the front fascia for the facelift. The side profile looks very handsome and the rear tail lights look modern. It's no secret Lexus copied the best cues from the S class and refined it. The old LS400 headlights were not my cup of tea, they finally got it right with the 98 facelift! The metallic silver color looks great in different lighting conditions, I originally wanted a black exterior but metallic silver is always a second choice. I really wish the LS had the charcoal filtration vents on the hood like the S class. (They looked sporty to me) I think both cars look great. The W140 sedan has a more stately look to it, the LS has a modern/stately look. Just as with the W140, with the right set of wheels the LS can look awesome.

Anyway, as far as buying a 'super luxury car', (if you will) the Lexus LS is the smart financial choice. To own a W140 and keep them in tip top condition you're either a very big W140 enthusiast and DIYer, have deep pockets, have a great mechanic that knows the ins and outs of these cars, are in the mafia, or all the above. I happened to be in the all the above category but I still couldn't justify keeping it. just kidding :D

It's funny because as a huge W140 and Mercedes enthusiast I've always looked down on Lexus and the LS400. To me the W140 was the end all, be all of the luxury car segment in the 90s. I mean it had dual pane windows, soft close doors, folding mirrors, rear vanity mirrors, etc... and all these innovative features. As a car enthusiast I respect the W140. The LS400 doesn't have those innovative features but it holds it's own. I could never recommend a W140 to a true friend, however I feel I can do this with the LS400 (at least the 98+ model).

I feel like I've sold my soul to the devil.. But those of you who know me, know that I'm a true Mercedes guy and 'one of us'. I'm just continuing my journey in life as a car enthusiast. I'll update this thread with my experiences and share with you all as much as I can. Anyway congrats if you did read all of this. I know I wrote a lot, but it still doesn't feel like enough. If you have any questions about something in particular feel free to ask.

-Will

Attachments

·
Premium Member
M120, M119, W126*2 + Silver Avantgarde wagon
4,678 Posts
NIce to hear from you and a very nice looking car...

Good detailed review too. Thanks!

·
Registered
97 S500coupe. 97 sl320 2000 Corvette 1999 V star 650 Classic
701 Posts
Very interesting write up

Back in the mid-1990's I was managing a company that was owned by a gentleman of German decent. He loved Mercedes and BMW automobiles. The senior management of the company all drove Mercedes or an occasional BMW. We purchased the cars new, dealer maintained them, and kept them almost forever. My "company cars" for the first seven years with this company were - 300TD, e300, BMW750il and a S500 sedan. When I suggested to the owner that I wanted a Lexus LS400 he thought I was crazy. In retrospect I will say that the Lexus was by far a better car in almost all respects. Maintenance expenses compared to the "German Cars" I had been driving was so greatly reduced it was a shock. Yes, today I have a 97 S500 coupe and not a Lexus. Why you might ask. Very interesting question.

·
Registered
1997 Mercedes Benz S320 SWB
274 Posts
Hey all. What's up? I haven't really been active here lately so I thought I'd make a thread and check in with a big update.

After I sold the 97' S420 I thought I was done with luxury cars. I really didn't want to have anything to do with large four door sedans anymore... In fact I even talked to a few of you about this over PM, lol.

I had a need for a sports car like a Corvette but I settled with a pretty unique little 1991 MR2. That satisfied my sports car desire. What a fun little car that was. I've recently changed my mind about the Corvette though (for now). I guess it's a 'been there, done that' kind of thing. If I'm to buy a sports car again, it would have to be something very unique like an Acura NSX.

Anyway, I sold the MR2 recently. The new owner is a toyota guy and fell in love with it immediately. I really wasn't sure what to get after I sold it. I even thought about putting around in my little blue mirage coupe for awhile but that idea fizzled out quickly. I'm getting bored of it lol. Anyway I've looked at all sorts of cars and finally settled with the idea that I need to get a 98-00 LS400. I even considered the LS430 but for considerably more money and very similar ride I couldn't justify it.

It's really ironic that I bought a Lexus LS400 knowing very well that I get bored of cars very easily. lol.

This 1998 LS was owned by an older Japanese gentleman in a very upscale neighborhood in Cary, NC. It's a two owner car. Clean and clear title. Always garage kept but he did use it as his daily driver commutes to Fayetteville. It has 184k miles. The previous owner before him was his sister, she gave the car to him as a gift in 2005. I received the Lexus Key code flat key (the credit card looking thing), the lojack registration card, and all service history from the car since 2005 and all owners manuals/books. On the test drive I pushed the gas a little bit and he screamed "whoa that's fast"! I take it he has never abused the car or raced it. That is the great thing about buying a car from fragile old people lol.

He never really cleaned the interior or put leather conditioner on either (but it still looks great overall) I did not clean the car in the pictures below except for the engine compartment.

The saving grace is that it has always been garage kept and pretty much never subjected to the elements. No dings or scratches anywhere, but it does have a bit of a blemish on the driver's side bumper and a few little nicks on the rear bumper. He told me someone scraped against the car when he was on a business trip to Boston, but it's barely noticeable so it's fine. The paint on this car is still amazing and it appears as if it's hasn't been clayed or waxed, ever.. First thing I will do is polish her up and put a coat of aircraft wax. This did wonders on my W140. Some tire dressing will also do the trick.

I did clean the engine compartment yesterday. It had what seemed like years of dust and dirt built up. I removed the engine covers and with a few cans of degreaser got it looking like new again. The dirt just glided right off. I also cleaned up the engine covers and put in a new air filter. The old air filter looked like it had been there for years. This man was definitely not a car guy... So I went to clean the throttle body (Major PITA to remove that hose and put it back on btw) To my surprise it was as clean as can be! The old air filter was super dirty but it did such a good job filtering. The opposite side of the filter was pure white so I know it did it's job. Speaking of filters this car also has some kind of filtration system like the w140 had the carbon filtration. I forget what it's called on the LS.

Everything on this car works except for the key fob. Previous owner somehow screwed up both key fobs... The hood shocks are also getting a little weak. It's a cheap fix though. I am utterly surprised at how cheap it is to keep the LS400 on the road.

We used to have a 92' and a 95' LS400 in the family. Both were black, the 92' had 99' style GS300 5 spoke sport rims and looked very nice. Both car were very reliable, we never had problems with them. At the time I despised them both because they were so boring to drive.

I'd like to write a review on the comparisons between my 97' S420 and this 98' LS400 but I want to drive this car around for a few more weeks before writing a more 'formal' review. These cars are definitely apples and oranges. I can't stress that enough, the W140 is built for a different clientele than the LS400. Here are some quick thoughts about driving experience, interior, and exterior for now.

Driving experience: The LS400 feels more like an ultra refined Mercedes, almost too refined. Not wallowing or floating but more easily unsettled by undulating pavement. Steering feedback is much nicer than the 97' and earlier LS400s but this car really needs some 18 inch rims, stiffer springs and shocks to bring out a sporty feel it very much deserves. Despite all that, It's a VERY nimble car at 3800lbs. The 0-60 of this car is surprisingly on par with the W140 S600. 1998 was the first year of the VVTi engine and 5 speed driver adaptive auto. This car does too good of a job isolating the driver from the road. There is no drama when accelerating at any speed. The W140 722.6 transmission was smooth, but the LS400 transmission is silky silk smooth. It's unbelievable how perfect the engine and transmission are in this car. So much power, so much torque, yet very muted at WOT when the windows are up. This can be a good or bad thing depending on how you look at it.

The W140 felt like a sports sedan in the body of a large heavy sedan. The LS400 feels like a large sedan that is capable of becoming a sports sedan with the right suspension/wheel set up.

While the LS is a very safe automobile, it doesn't feel invincible from the driver's seat against the outside world like the W140. I don't know how to describe it but you felt safer in the W140, like being inside a tank. I'm sure LS400's safety is top notch though. Cabin noise is considerably lower than the W140. When arriving somewhere after a trip, you feel just as refreshed as the W140.

Interior experience: When you put the key in the ignition the steering wheel will adjust to where you normally have it. When you remove the key the steering wheel goes up and in towards the car. I like this feature a lot. I love the information display screen and the instrument cluster. It makes the W140s instrument cluster look like it came out of the stone age. lol. Just yesterday this display was letting me know that one of my brake light bulbs was blown out and today it reminded me that my door was cracked open as well. It also has the typical fuel range, average mpg, instant mpg and you can cycle it with the steering wheel buttons... The LS interior certainly does look more modern even though it has a 'luxury toyota camry' aura to it. I believe the W140 had more rear legroom, or at least it appeared that way. With the black interior it actually looks pretty darn luxurious though. All the controls are easy to reach, and the six disc CD changer is easily accessible in the first glove compartment. The second glove compartment is enormous by the way. The leather wrapped steering wheel feels nicer than the S420 vinyl type steering wheel. Leather quality feels supple and smooth, still looks like new even though I haven't used conditioner on it. I don't like that the heated seats only have one setting... I also don't like that there is no thigh support on the LS for this year. Very disappointing but it's still very comfortable so no complaints. I've been spoiled by the W140s thigh adjustment. The W140 has the more luxurious looking interior, a bit dated looking but still timeless. This LS400 has the more uncommon black interior. The beige interior in the LS is quite frankly butt ugly. Bottom line: I wouldn't have bought an LS if it wasn't for the black interior. It's as simple as that.

Exterior appearance. I like the LS400 for it's very modern yet subtle exterior appearance. They did a great job with the front fascia for the facelift. The side profile looks very handsome and the rear tail lights look modern. It's no secret Lexus copied the best cues from the S class and refined it. The old LS400 headlights were not my cup of tea, they finally got it right with the 98 facelift! The metallic silver color looks great in different lighting conditions, I originally wanted a black exterior but metallic silver is always a second choice. I really wish the LS had the charcoal filtration vents on the hood like the S class. (They looked sporty to me) I think both cars look great. The W140 sedan has a more stately look to it, the LS has a modern/stately look. Just as with the W140, with the right set of wheels the LS can look awesome.

Anyway, as far as buying a 'super luxury car', (if you will) the Lexus LS is the smart financial choice. To own a W140 and keep them in tip top condition you're either a very big W140 enthusiast and DIYer, have deep pockets, have a great mechanic that knows the ins and outs of these cars, are in the mafia, or all the above. I happened to be in the all the above category but I still couldn't justify keeping it. just kidding :D

It's funny because as a huge W140 and Mercedes enthusiast I've always looked down on Lexus and the LS400. To me the W140 was the end all, be all of the luxury car segment in the 90s. I mean it had dual pane windows, soft close doors, folding mirrors, rear vanity mirrors, etc... and all these innovative features. As a car enthusiast I respect the W140. The LS400 doesn't have those innovative features but it holds it's own. I could never recommend a W140 to a true friend, however I feel I can do this with the LS400 (at least the 98+ model).

I feel like I've sold my soul to the devil.. But those of you who know me, know that I'm a true Mercedes guy and 'one of us'. I'm just continuing my journey in life as a car enthusiast. I'll update this thread with my experiences and share with you all as much as I can. Anyway congrats if you did read all of this. I know I wrote a lot, but it still doesn't feel like enough. If you have any questions about something in particular feel free to ask.

-Will
Great review, Will.

I think we all intuitively know that a Lexus LSXXX is the more practical car to own. Less frequent and cheaper maintenance. Toyota reliability, etc.

I've even driven the Toyota Avalons for their "feel".

Yes, the PSE pump, self-closing doors, etc are an expense.

But, the presence of a well-maintained Mercedes-Benz (Pre-2000) gets my attention, and heart-rate up. Much like an attractive woman, with that something "extra"....

I rarely notice a Lexus, unless I'm stopped at a traffic light, behind one. Or, one parks next to me in a shopping lot.

When my transmission fails, the evaporator/climate control needs replacement or service, I'll probably wish I had a Lexus LS!

When I think of Japanese products, I think of good design, good built quality and superior miniaturization, i.e. the Sony Walkmans, etc. But, no originality.

To me, they take a design from another company....and, well, they usually better make them than the first company!

MB establishes a look or design, Toyota and Nissan copy it....and make it more reliable. I think we all know this...if we admit it.

But, I'll stay with my "tank", just for it's presence, Mercedes-Benz long-history of supporting its older models beyond 10 years (parts, service), and that special MB-quality..that head-turning factor.

Wow, Did You See The Trunk On THAT.......um, W140....she's got "it",

James Combs,
Salt Lake City, Utah USA
97 S320, 107,000 miles...the car with that something "extra"...

·
M20
4,793 Posts
I could never recommend a W140 to a true friend, however I feel I can do this with the LS400
That is your opinion,but I disagree. I would recommend the W140 to any enthusiast friend and to anyone willing to put in the work to enjoy a magnificent car.

This has been explained time and again - you cant expect grandeur without effort. All cats love fish but hate to get their paws wet

---

I like the LS400 and specifically that model (99-00 right?). Hope it gives you worry free motoring for years to come

·
Registered
'95 S500 (sold), '97 E420
242 Posts
Interesting that you would choose a car with a very similar silhouette as the w140.
Good choice. :D

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks fellas!

The W140 IS the better car in my opinion. (especially S600). Comparing an LS to an S is like comparing apples and oranges. I however like all the advantages the LS has over the W140. Plus, I love the fact that the LS looks like a modern/refined version of one of my dream cars. (the W140) but minus all the headaches. Sure it doesn't have the soul of the W140, but it more than makes up for it with other things. Like Toyota camry style exterior door handles! lol jk,but they do look like camry handles :D

Z, I agree. I should have worded that differently. A pristine W140 may very well be the best luxury car to recommend to someone,(especially a car guy) but it has to be the right person. I couldn't recommend a W140 to a non car enthusiast unless they love it and are prepared to maintain it in tip top condition.

Z, the 98-00 model is indeed the facelift LS400 and my personal favorite Lexus model. I love the 97+ W140 as well, I do miss my 97' S420 but at the same time I'm glad I do not own it anymore. I have more fun admiring all your W140s now. =)

Attachments

·
W140 Moderator
"CHRIS" Merc 92 600SEL / Sold > 93 600SE / 93 S500 / 89 560SEL / 413CDI / B180-CDI /A170-CDI
7,533 Posts
Nice review there Saleen , the only Lexus i like is the LS430 but then at the end of the day it's a Toyota with a different badge ,i mean , when you close the door for example ,can you hear & feel the difference between the 140's door close and the Lexus door close, and the interiors look ,i dont know ,looks just normal to me for a car of that class, there is something not there ,you know what i mean ? .
Looking at the pictures above ,just look at the black 140 there (pure class) ,sitting in traffic with the Lexus beeing part of a Tuna fish swarm guess what that black thing is ,thats a w140 majestic shark eating all those little tunas,lol.
However i do know what you mean with the lexus reliability etc etc i can live without that but i cant have a car without the NOSEBADGE STAR ,how else could you lock onto the pedestrians lol.
Good luck with it ,i hope it treats you well .:thumbsup:

This is the only Lexus i like,they have a nice interior i must say .
Silver car
2004 LEXUS LS for sale in NSW - Sydney $28,800 UCF30R 6 SP AUTO SEQUENTIAL Sedan used @ carsguide.com.au
Black car
2001 LEXUS LS for sale in $19,999 UCF30R 5 SP AUTOMATIC Sedan used @ carsguide.com.au

·
Premium Member
4,678 Posts
Thanks fellas!

...Sure it doesn't have the soul of the W140, but it more than makes up for it with other things...
Saleen - "DOES NOT HAVE THE SOUL...." :eek:

What have you done???????????

What on earth can make up for soul?

For soul, and the appreciation of soul is love. Next, will you prefer masturbating over making love to a beautiful woman?

I give it three months, max 6 and you'll be back for a C140. :cool:

·
Registered
1991 Mercedes Benz 300E, 179K, stock, daily driver
1,689 Posts
WHAT THE HELL S7? What happened to the big picture???

2006 Saleen S7 Twin Turbo Competition by SpeersM5, on Flickr

Seriously though If I was you I would of gone with a E38 since you want to be so sporty haha. :cool:, I'm going to upload some pics of my uncles e38, its a beauty.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nice review there Saleen , the only Lexus i like is the LS430 but then at the end of the day it's a Toyota with a different badge ,i mean , when you close the door for example ,can you hear & feel the difference between the 140's door close and the Lexus door close, and the interiors look ,i dont know ,looks just normal to me for a car of that class, there is something not there ,you know what i mean ? .
Looking at the pictures above ,just look at the black 140 there (pure class) ,sitting in traffic with the Lexus beeing part of a Tuna fish swarm guess what that black thing is ,thats a w140 majestic shark eating all those little tunas,lol.
However i do know what you mean with the lexus reliability etc etc i can live without that but i cant have a car without the NOSEBADGE STAR ,how else could you lock onto the pedestrians lol.
Good luck with it ,i hope it treats you well .:thumbsup:

This is the only Lexus i like,they have a nice interior i must say .
Silver car
2004 LEXUS LS for sale in NSW - Sydney $28,800 UCF30R 6 SP AUTO SEQUENTIAL Sedan used @ carsguide.com.au
Black car
2001 LEXUS LS for sale in $19,999 UCF30R 5 SP AUTOMATIC Sedan used @ carsguide.com.au
Yeah I miss that door thunk/self close and the trunk handle. I miss a lot of those features... I do like the 2004+ LS430. but I can't imagine buying one for those prices when the ride quality is very similar to the 98. The extra features and refined interior/exterior are a major plus though!

I've never really tried to gun down citizens here, but I'm currently in the process of finding a Mercedes hoodstar to mount on front of the LS. Just kidding of course. :cool:

I know exactly what you mean merc, This car is pretty much a giant toyota. In stock form it does blend into traffic. It's low key and subtle and meant to be. I actually like the black interior but if it wasn't for being black I would have despised it. The W140 S class with black interior looks infinitely better either way.

BTW, The LS was known as the 'Toyota Celsior' in Japan up until 2005.

Saleen - "DOES NOT HAVE THE SOUL...." :eek:

What have you done???????????

What on earth can make up for soul?

For soul, and the appreciation of soul is love. Next, will you prefer masturbating over making love to a beautiful woman?

I give it three months, max 6 and you'll be back for a C140. :cool:
Well Rich, this LS is a lot like a basic yet fancy looking toaster with just a few settings. It gets the job done really well in those settings, but it's not as nice as that really fancy w140 toaster with a dozen features and standard things like crumb tray, warming tray, and of course that sleek design.

I don't think I can get rid of women that easily though. :D I'd be a bit depressed without THAT kind of soul. :surrender: What I do need is a 'fun car'. I used to like driving my little 5 speed go kart mirage, but now it's getting boring.

If I'm ever to buy a 140 again it would likely be a coupe, but I'm not sure if I will go that route. I think I may look for a nice 560SEC to fill in that void that's missing.

WHAT THE HELL S7? What happened to the big picture???

2006 Saleen S7 Twin Turbo Competition by SpeersM5, on Flickr

Seriously though If I was you I would of gone with a E38 since you want to be so sporty haha. :cool:, I'm going to upload some pics of my uncles e38, its a beauty.
The Saleen S7 will be purchased someday... I need to win the lottery first OR decide if I really want a house or a supercar. :D

I like the E38 a lot. The body style is just artwork. I was seriously considering purchasing one. I almost bought a local 2000 model 740i M sport. Incredible car, but we couldn't settle on price. Then I started shifting towards the LS400. I figure I'm trading reliability for driving feel, but it's not a bad trade off to me at this point. I'm shifting my priorities from car to life right now. :surrender:

·
Premium Member
4,678 Posts
Yes, 560 SEC is a good choice too. Less hassle...

But trust me on this the 140 coupe is unbelievable. Just get a 97 - 99 for less issues...

My advice is keep the LS and meantime keep looking for the needle in the haystack coupe - one owner, all records, garaged, etc. And hence one that you will be "lucky" with :thumbsup:

·
Registered
96 S500, 98 Celsior
226 Posts
Hi there from Japan.
I am new here and this is my first post. I came over here trying to search an ASR/ETA issue.

I just have finished to fix the ASR warning indication problem of 96 S500 owned by my brother-in-law. I myself am an owner of a 98 Celsior (Japanese domestic model name of LS400).

Working in US for several years, I understand English some but I sill have a big difficulty to speak. On the other hand I am good at fixing car's electric/electronics related affairs although I am just an amateur. I have got many DIY friends while I had been working there in US as an electronics circuit design engineer and I still am communicating with them over the Internet. I am writing my blog with much photos to help them to understand my limited English. Below are the links how I fixed the ASR warning indication problem rewiring the ETA for S500.
Another problem on Mercedes Benz W140 S500 - mae*yas???? - Yahoo!???
Another problem on Mercedes Benz W140 S500 #2 - mae*yas???? - Yahoo!???

Compared with my Celsior and my brother's S500, it is hard to tell which is better. But as far as he and I have experienced, S500 has been forcing us to spend extra hours to maintain the car. The latest biggest problem was the ASR. We had an AC fan problem in August last year caused by the engine harness. On the other hand, I almost had no trouble with my Celsior/LS400 for the past 1 year+.

Anyway, I will be posting time to time in the future.

Best wishes from Japan.
Yamae

·
Premium Member
'08 BMW 750LI, '10 Ford Expedition
378 Posts
My uncle drove a '77 450sl from '77-'89. During that time period his daughters started driving and he bought them both Accords. Then when Acura was unveiled, my Aunt started driving the Legends. By '89 the SL had 130K on the clock and it was time to start shopping. With this array of Japanese and German cars in the stable, one could get a pretty good idea of maintenance, reliability, etc.

I went over to visit my Uncle one day and he had all the literature in his office for the new '90 SL500. I thought it was one of the best looking mass produced cars I had ever seen. He also said he had looked at two new automobile brands on the market called a Lexus and an Infiniti. I discounted the latter.

When we went back to his house for Thanksgiving, to my disbelief, there sat a new LS400 parked next to the 450. My father was mortified he had purchased this unknown Japanese model that allegedly competed with MB -as we were still driving 107s, 124s, and 126s. The early W140s cured my father of any more Mercedes but he never bought any of the Japanese brands.

The Lexus is a very nice car and that particular uncle still buys Lexus to this day. But the LS models remind me of my grandfathers and their Cadillacs, big cars that are nice and ride very well but that's about it. Yes, yes and much less maintenance than their German counterparts. But, it's still not a Mercedes.

·
Registered
1998 Mercedes Benz CL500
456 Posts
If I have one weakness, it is the UCF 20/21 cars. For those that don't know, that's the chassis code for these wonderful vehicles. The only thing I would do to that car is remove the pinstripes and drive it forever. You did well SaleenS7, I loved your sedan but this is a nice change. Good luck with it. :thumbsup:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts