Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at buying my first mercedes in the next couple months and due to what i have read about this forum i have decided on the w-140 and the fact that if it was good enough for royalty means as a regular guy i cant go wrong also have road in a 1990 300e great ride but does is the ride any different between a s320 or an s500 as far as being a better ride quality and what other differences should i know about

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
Ride quality will depend on the quality of the springs and shocks in cars as old as these. Assuming they are both in good order:

- The 300SE is a short wheelbase, a 500 will most likely be a long wheelbase which will improve the ride slightly.

- 500 may have SLS which may improve the ride but opinions vary on this.

- The greater mass of the 500 will also have a positive effect on ride quality.

This also assumes the same wheels and tyres, the 16" rims with 235/60/16's on them will give the best results.

However, you might be hard pressed to actually tell the difference. Any well maintained car will ride extremely well.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
thanks yeah the sls i wasnt sure if it was a big deal or not but from my understanding they are basicly the same car minus the engine and sls which im still not to sure about dont have kids so no wieght in the back i read thats what the sls was good for

·
Outstanding Contributor Always Remembered RIP
6,543 Posts
Have you thought about the CL500, a very good ride, good looking, the 500 is a good lump and a fairly fast car.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ya those look nice but i am not super worried about a fast car want something comfortable and for the extra 10k i could probally make one of the s series almost new

·
Premium Member
776 Posts
S320 is underpowered

I believe the S320 is grossly underpowered. Drive good examples of both and then decide.

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
I think the S320 is perfectly powered, far more fun to drive than any other 140. And of course they're much easier to take care of as well. You are right to eliminate 420s - they are dogs across the board.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ya if you dont mind me asking what does it cost you a year to maintain the car and also it seems like they are quite a bit cheaper to repair parts that break

·
Registered
320 Posts
Hi,
I agree the S320 is perfectly powered. I would take the whole talk of under powering with a pinch of salt....I have an S320 LWB and it is a joy to drive. Not to mention nobody keeps up with me on the highways. It is not cheap fuel wise but its a great ride.....The most important thing is the quality of what you buy....cheap can be very expensive in the long run. There are notes all over here about what to check for:
Wiring harness.
Aircon.
Closing assist.
Shocks/SLS
I think its better to pay more and get one in great condition cause from what I have read on the forums........fix-its are damn expensive.
Hope that helps!!

·
Registered
430 Posts
i completely agree with Rikana, i have a 1994 S320 which has clocked 90000 kms & runs like a new machine,500 is good but 320 is tooo good,i am extremely happy with the performance..also the indy is more than happy to service the 320 than the 500 or 600,
what so ever till you are driving in the city limits they ll are the same,the fun of 500 & 600 is only on the highway
i just love the w140,there is no better car :thumbsup:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well thats good to know i think i am going to get the s320 based on what you guys have said and if i wanted something with power i would go get a camaro or something i want class and comfort

·
Registered
218 Posts
Atrain,

Where do you live? The choice you make should also take into account the cost of fuel, is it your daily drive etc?

This forum has participants from across the globe and fuel is considerably cheaper in some parts hence why some people would not even consider anything smaller than a 500.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
310 Posts
S420 is pretty nice actually

I think the S320 is perfectly powered, far more fun to drive than any other 140. And of course they're much easier to take care of as well. You are right to eliminate 420s - they are dogs across the board.
Why are you hatin on my 420 ???

My wife loves it and so far, not much of a headache to maintain for a 17 year old car.

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
Why are you hatin on my 420 ???

My wife loves it and so far, not much of a headache to maintain for a 17 year old car.
V8 weight up front, always (almost) long wheel base, 2.82 rear axle - they just aren't a lively car. I've known two people who had both 320 and 420 and drove them daily and they both said the same thing - the 320 is livlier and more fun. But I do think I mispoke - if you made me get a V8 I'd get 420 without ASR over a 500 with it.

·
Registered
412 Posts
well thats good to know i think i am going to get the s320 based on what you guys have said and if i wanted something with power i would go get a camaro or something i want class and comfort
Good choice. I enjoyed my 320 immensely. The straight 6 is a smooth engine. The joy of simplicity.:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
776 Posts
Power vs Lack of Power

It would appear that the opinions are based on whether the author owns a 320 or 500. I test drove all three and chose the 500 based on the power for entering the highway. 0-60 in 5.4 seconds ain't bad. I was not pleased with the sluggishness of the 320. The 420 is better, but in my opinion still lacking. I take great pleasure in blasting past the rice burners at lights. I will say that if and when I get a chance to drive an S600 I am sure I will upgrade. I did drive a 2006 S550 AMG which had awsome power, but is was no comparison to the W140. It felt a little cheap.

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
It would appear that the opinions are based on whether the author owns a 320 or 500.
Not so for me, used own the 320 but now have a 500. The 320 is just a better car all things considered. And they will dance on the graves of the 500s in time because they are economically viable transportation. But everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and, as stated earlier, certainly should try all before buying.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
well from what i have read there is not a huge amount of differnce in gas mileage like at the most 3 mpg but as far as upkeep is there a huge difference between the s500 and the s320 and as far as when stuff breaks whats the price difference

1 - 20 of 37 Posts