Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Debadge or not? What's your opinion?

3333 Views 17 Replies 14 Participants Last post by  jhodg5ck
Car is a silver 1998 S320, all stock but with new 18" amg monoblocks. I'm thinking a debadging (the s320 emblem, but I'd keep the center star) would give it a smoother look, what do you think? What are the pros/cons of this?

I attatched a pic just in case

P.S. I'm not an AMG wannabe

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
280Sw116/380SELw126
341 Posts
Just my opinion, but I don't like it when people de-badge their cars. If I see a cool MB,...

Just my opinion, but I don't like it when people de-badge their cars. If I see a cool MB, I want to see what kind it is. When I see a car with no badge, it seems like the owner is embarassed of something if you know what I mean. Which is funny with the S 320 ironically because in most cases I think people de-badge that model because they don't want people to know they drive the 'lowest of the line' inline 6. I guess certain MB owners just want to keep it a mystery of what they got underneath the hood.

· Registered
S320W
602 Posts
Not a very good idea

Correct as FDM said. Debadging basically makes other MB W140 owners realize ure driving an S320. I have one as well, and i like to keep it orginal as it is.

German cars are well engineered. Even with a muscular body of a W140, the base 320 engines produce enough power to repidly move the vehicle in tight situations. Porsches for the longest time had 4 cylinder engines.

Your car is beautiful, its agressive and smooth looking the way it is.

///S320

· Registered
Current: '14 S550, '99 S500, '10 Prius; Previous: '93 400SEL, '98 Corolla
105 Posts
Not

I am not sure why people would want to debadge their cars unless they totally change the look and are planning to customize it beyond recognition. I agree with some of the observations that people debadge a series if they are not proud of what they own. Also, some people rebadge a vehicle to a higher model (s320 to s400, s500 or s600) for the same reason. So I would suggest you don't rebadge the vehicle and be proud of its badge:)

· Registered
'90 560SEL
2,589 Posts
Another de-badge - re-badge angle...

...Seems to me that "perceived performance" is the main reason cars are both de-badged or re-badged. Reminds me a little of the bloke with a small third leg who routinely wears a rolled up sock down his pants. I can't figure how either he nor anyone else gets excitment other than with just the look!![8)]

· Registered
2009 Porsche Cayman S // 2007 Mercedes E350
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Why aren't you asking this stuff on your car's w126 forum?

The car in question is a 98 s320 (see attatched pic in first post).....not the 87 420SEL (signature pic)

· Premium Member
2016 E350 4matic Luxury Sedan, 2011 E350 Avant Garde Cabriolet
2,006 Posts
It used to be that in Germany there were a LOT of Mercedes-Benz cars and BMWs that were debadged or rebadged down NOT UP![:p] Seems the German government taxed according to engine displacement. Whether or not it worked is up for debate, but I had a friend that had an S320 that was disguised as an S280 for a while[;)]

· Registered
1996 Mercedes-Benz S 600 L, 2001 Mercedes-Benz E 220 CDI, 1995 BMW328i Cab
139 Posts
It won’t help; German government goes by Fahrzeugbrief where you can find all of those data’s.
But it is a common thing on the Autobahn that cars with smaller engine gets a bit more help; people understand that it is a bit slower. It might also help as a theft security.

And to the debate, don’t go with debadging, cars with no sign have code 260
It is only common on the smaller engine, most people don’t understand, and enthusiasts will se on your exhaust.

· Registered
1997 S500
281 Posts
Well, all I can say is that I'm old school, meaning that I would rather keep the badge in place. That being said, I have an S600 grill on my 500. Not because I want people to think I have the V12 but because the 600 grill is so much more attractive. So basicaly do what makes you feel good about your own car.

Paul Hansen

· Registered
'02ML320
810 Posts
One person wants to debadge his/her car and people pull out their psychoanalyses. [8)] Do what feels right for you, not what the MB police tells you. Many with big engines debadge their rides just as much as ones with small motors. Not everybody likes to show off and it doesnt mean youre inferior. Some people are just too vain...

· Registered
1994 W124 E320 1997W140 S320(RIP),1993W140300SE(RIP),2000W208CLK320(RIP) , 1993 W201 190E 2.6 (RIP),
1,865 Posts
onesixthree - 8/10/2005 2:59 PM

One person wants to debadge his/her car and people pull out their psychoanalyses. [8)] Do what feels right for you, not what the MB police tells you. Many with big engines debadge their rides just as much as ones with small motors. Not everybody likes to show off and it doesnt mean youre inferior. Some people are just too vain...
MUCH agreed!

The only “cons� to it are the ones conjured up by fellow Benz enthusiast. Otherwise, it’s all “pros�. Lets debunk the myths.

First off, there is a SEVERE blanket generalization (the scourge of the net) of a “debadger� that is, frankly, disappointing. While I can understand how one could reach the view of the debadger as a “poser�, it’s funny that the debunkers won't even considered what Scott said - it’s simply for a smoother “look�. At least Brett Diego did point out the waxing advantages.[:)]

I’ve owned BOTH a debadged ’93 300SE (S320) and currently own a badged ’97 S320. I bought the 300SE as is, debadged. I LOVED the clean look in the back. Somehow it looked even MORE “German.� (BTW, NEVER did I think to put an S600 badge back there, and actually think that practice of doing so is wack as hell. It’s the equivalent of stuffing a sock in your crotch, IMO.) People would run up and say “OH Man� is that a S600!?� (Realize, they are only asking because they heard in the latest song that that’s the model to have). I’d ALWAYS promptly answer, no it’s a 300SE. They would pause for the BRIEFEST of half-seconds, then, continue fawning. I wouldn’t even “update� it verbally to an S320. MB designated it a 300SE, I BOUGHT a 300SE, and I told people it’s a 300SE, (I dare say many a poster in this thread wouldn’t have done THAT, and would have called it an S320). I had a million chances handed to me to tell ‘em it’s a 500 or 600, and according to the above posts, it assumed that, naturally, I (and all debadgers) would. It is assumed that the debadging was done for X reason. And to assume that the S320 owner had no pride in his ride simply by debadging??? WRONG. (I just recently ruffled a few 600 guys’ feathers on this very forum by pitting my S320, pride for pride, against ANY S600, any day. Or any other Benz, for that matter. I’m sure some of you read that.)

I traded the black/gray 300SE in on the black/black S320. Badge on it – Beautiful! But I wanted the clean look like that of my old car on the trunk. Again, my old car was a 300SE, NOT a S600. (So even IF I was trying to pose, I was trying to look like a car that was actually badged even numerically LOWER than my current car.) HOWEVER, quiet frankly, the S320 badge looks very good with the post ’90 tail end updates. And, hey, why bother it or risk messing up my paint somehow? So it’s there, for now, with no immediately pressing plans to take it off. But that’s the ONLY reason why – I plain ole decided to leave it alone.

And YES, I WOULD consider debadging if I got an S600. (What then, I’m trying to look like a Maybach?) That V12 under the hood would do all the showin ‘n’ provin’ as to what’s what. They already asked me if it was a 600 anyway. Only difference is that this time, the answer would be “yes�. And any enthusiast worth there salt would figure it out in short order, so why not?

Another thing – I also own a W201 190E 2.6 liter. The liter badge is right on the trunk. The only higher factory model to get is the 16 valve, (with trunk badge designation) and you don’t see them that often. Guess what? I debadged IT. What, would one say I was trying to make it look like a 2.3? A 1.8? An S600? NO. I LIKE the CLEAN look. (The only problem was that the factory adhesive had gotten super hard in some spots, so it wasn’t a nice clean spot left when I was done. I have some touch ups to do anyway, and that will be one of them.)

Many top tuning houses actually debadged the cars when doing a full conversion, BTW. AMG used to churn out many a debadged top-line W126 560 back when they were an independent. Brabus would chuck your badge, ect, unless you specifically told them not too. So here they are are handing you back an OVER-the-top- of-the-line $120,000 SEC, with 30,000 worth of mods - zip zero nada badges.

The 3 categories of Benz Admirers:

1) Joe/Jane Public - Another falsity is that the general public will think the car is a 600. We enthusiast get caught up in our own little Benz world, and don’t realize, that the only thing Joe/Jane Average see when you pull up is that star on the grill and the trunk. Many can’t get past even that, and can only think “MERCEDES!�, or “S-CLASS!� The numeric designation doesn’t even come to mind, and even if it did, they don’t even know what it even means. Think of Aunt Gertrud and Uncle Larry; the only thing they know is that junior is doing well because “he drives a Mar-cedes�. The words S320-600 will never leave their mouths. I know this for daily FACT driving around in my modest little ’92 190E, and people act like I just rolled up in a new Bentley GT Coupe. I can’t convince many folk that it’s just a little old high miles “baby Benz� daily driver.

2) Enthusiast - The next category of person is the enthusiast. From the mildly knowledgeable to the text book student of MB, many things a poser would do to impress Joe and Jane is going to get spotted and identified by this group. Debadging will not only fail to leave the impression that the S320 is an S600, (assuming that was the intent), you will, in fact, LOSE respect before it’s over.

So whose left to impress assuming the above posted theories about the debadgers are true?

….the…

3) Poser – that’s who! Only another poser is going to be impressed when they see plain tail and think its and S600 or actually see an S600 badge on the back of your S320 with the standard S320 tailpipes, leather, and inline 6 under the hood and still be impressed.

So in the end, Scott, if YOU want to debadge because YOU know you are doing it for the look, and YOU know YOU are NOT a 600 wanna be, then why WOULDN’T you debadge? Good luck.

· Registered
Depends on the day!
13,419 Posts
I yanked the badge on my 560SEL..the 91 white coupe is next. The pearl black 91 came that way. The S600 has been de-badged as well. People will know what I'm driving as I motor away from them..

IMHO the look is much cleaner/symetrical..just as a Mercedes should be:)

Jonathan
http://jono.mbfans.net/Index.htm
Need parts? Give a call, I don't sell anything I wouldn't install on my own car.
404-805-1357
[email protected]

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.