Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2000 E55 / 2003 G500 / 2011 BMW M3
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When you do eventually settle on a "new" Gwagen design - howsabout calling it something else ?

As you can tell, a bit of a cult following has developed over the 20+ years of production of this storied truck. Here's one suggestion - call the new vehicle the "W" class.

A new class of vehicle for newly targeted customers, much as you are doing with the new CLS.

You already have your products internally identified as such (W210, W211, etc) so this "W" designation pays homage to that fine tradition.

Leave the "G" class nomenclature on the shelf until you come up with a really fitting replacement 2, 5, or 10 years down the road.

Think of the "buzz" that the reintroduction of the "G" will receive at that time... THX

·
Registered
2004 MB G500 Black
1,175 Posts
Isn't there a rumor around that says the replacement to the G-wagen will be called, "GL"?? I am cool with that too. But your suggestion is even better.

·
Registered
2004 G500 (gone)
1,100 Posts
Actually, DC has registered for the following names to be trademarks: the G-class, the GL-class and the MLG-class.

The mainstream line of thought rests that the next G-class vehicle will be built in Alabama under the class name which will contain the letter "g" in it.

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,982 Posts
RE: Dear DaimlerChrysler

2000BEAST - 2/8/2005 8:47 PM

When you do eventually settle on a "new" Gwagen design - howsabout calling it something else ?

As you can tell, a bit of a cult following has developed over the 20+ years of production of this storied truck. Here's one suggestion - call the new vehicle the "W" class.

A new class of vehicle for newly targeted customers, much as you are doing with the new CLS.

You already have your products internally identified as such (W210, W211, etc) so this "W" designation pays homage to that fine tradition.

Leave the "G" class nomenclature on the shelf until you come up with a really fitting replacement 2, 5, or 10 years down the road.

Think of the "buzz" that the reintroduction of the "G" will receive at that time... THX
It hasn't been DaimlerBenz for quite some time.

·
Registered
2000 E55 / 2003 G500 / 2011 BMW M3
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dutch - you are correct (as usual) but I cannot bring myself to admit the Chrysler $$ connection as yet.

My 2000 E55 is really a "Benz", and even though it is a post-Chrysler model year, I feel that my 2003 G500 from "over there" is also a real "Benz".

I must admit that the newer uber sedans have got my attention - SL55, SL65, CL55, and my latest favorite the CL65 (amazing). And, that being said - I may be tempted to get over my Chrysler animosity, trade in the E55, and open the check book.

But - I do hope they leave the "G" legacy intact. I plan on keeping my Tectite 2003 "forever", novelty value , if nothing else. I don't think I will ever tire of this great and storied truck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts