Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2000 E55 / 2003 G500 / 2011 BMW M3
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You gave the new cars 450+hp. Theres a BUNCH of non supercharged AMG 55 motors out there that are itching for a little bit more HP.

You built the motor, now howsabout developing a few aftermarket tidbits to help get us normal 55' E's, SL's, etcetera closer to 500 HP.

Surely it is "doable" with some electronic engine management wizardry - maybe a remapped fuel injection and timing chip ? Maybe some tuned headers ? Maybe a differenr air mass meter ?

We are here with $$$ burning a hole in our pockets, and prefer ORIGINAL AMG parts - opportunity knocks - are you listening ???? 2000BEAST

·
Registered
560 SEC Supercharged(sold), E55 AMG, Renntech CL600 Bi-turbo, Porsche 928
1,989 Posts
Dear 2000BEAST,

You will not get to 500 hp with some "doable" electronic engine managem...

Dear 2000BEAST,

You will not get to 500 hp with some "doable" electronic engine management wizardry. Yeah, we just love those chips that add 100 hp in a normally aspirated engine. The only way you will get significantly more power is through internal engine modifications: increased displacement, cams, compression, Extrued Honing intakes, ETC.... A good set of headers and chip tuning could net you around 30 to 40 more horsepower but you would still be well short of your 450 to 500 horsepower goal.

I'd suggest you call Kleeman and get a supercharger. They will give you tremendous bang for the buck as well as around 560 horsepower on your E55. You could also try Renntech and have them do your internal engine modifications or add their supercharger kit to your engine.

Good luck and bring your wallet!

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
my mistake ...

Sorry - I meant to say 400 HP, not 500 HP. That means adding 55-60 HP. I'm sure that AMG has the knowledge and ability to help us out with the bump. There are a bunch of these motors out there now, enough to make it financially viable.

Forget supercharging - impressive, but totally changes the automobile from MB / AMG to a "one off". WAY too much money and hassle in my opinion.

Thinking - Engine management remap ? Tuned headers ? Throttle body ? Air mass meter ? If the JAPS can do it to their various tuner cars, I"m certain that AMG can too ? BRING IT ON AMG, WE ARE WAITING !

·
Registered
560 SEC Supercharged(sold), E55 AMG, Renntech CL600 Bi-turbo, Porsche 928
1,989 Posts
[quote]Forget supercharging - impressive, but totally changes the automobile from MB / A...

Forget supercharging - impressive, but totally changes the automobile from MB / AMG to a "one off". WAY too much money and hassle in my opinion.quote]

Funny you think this way. Have you seen the new 2004 E55 AMG? It's supercharged? Do you know why? Supercharging is an extremely cost effective and reliable way to produce huge power gains without affecting driveability. The MSRP is only around $1,500 more for the supercharged 2004 E55 AMG than the car it replaces but the new car will beat the pants off the old one.

I don't see how making the changes you want to do is any different than adding a supercharger. If you make the chages to the throttle body, headers, and engine management, isn't you car going to be a "one off" too? Adding boost is a sure way to make your car much faster but the other stuff is guess work.

You can easily calculate your horsepower with a supercharger. Your E55 makes right at 280 RWHP. Add 8 psi and an effective intercooler and your car would make over 440 RWHP with instant throttle response and wonderful reliability. http://www.superchargersonline.com/hp_calculator.asp?submit=1 I have found through personal experience that this calculator is very accurate.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dear AMG

To The Top ...

AMG, if you come up with these tuner parts, I'll even take it to my authorized Mercedes Benz dealer for installation !

Opportunity knocks...lots of these engines out there now.
[8D]

·
Registered
SL 55 AMG (R 230)
14 Posts
You built the motor, now howsabout developing a few aftermarket tidbits to help get us normal 55' E's, SL's, etcetera closer to 500 HP.
AMG managements said that they definitively won't since many parts of the car (transmission / gearbox, rear axle,...) can't stand more than 400HP / 600 NM on the long run.

Ronald

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thats Fine ...

Just give me 399 HP !

Always looking to be a little different.
Thats why I bought the E55 in the first place!

Now, on those rare occasions when I "bump" into another E55, it would be nice to know that I have a little extra under the hood.

Original offer still stands - AMG - put together a "Stage 2" Kit for the normally aspirated "55" series motor. Theres a bunch of these out there now.
Maybe an ignition and fuel injection remap chip, and a free-er flowing header. I'll take my little baby to an authorized MB dealer (and pay their ransom) to have them installed. Opportunity knocks...

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not much feedback

On this topic.
Brabus has the internal engine mods.
Several aftermarket folks offer superchargers.

Wonder if the new AMG supercharger would fit on top of my E55 motor ?

Check out that motor - it is one clean unit !

There you go Mercedes / AMG - offer the supercharger for earlier 55's, installed at the dealership. I'd pay the ransom $$$ ...

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
RE: Not much feedback

I visited Brabus last week - they say they can put a blower similar to the new E55's on my motor - $15K ...first I heard of this ...

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
RE: Thats Fine ...

Anybody else notice that the new "5 series" BMW's looks very much like the new Acura, only slightly larger ?

Looks Japanese - not European.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts