Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2000 ML320, 2000 Audi TT Quattro, 1996 Acura NSX-T
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have done a bunch of searches but I still a bit hazy on where and how to replace the above items...

This was the list I got: brake flush. front pads and rotors, fuel filter, spark plugs, valve cover gaskets, poly belt and the L&R catalytic converters. I know the catalytic converters are toast I hear them rattling.

I think the spark plugs were already done, but by a different shop so the dealer had no record.

What I can't seem to figure out is where and how to replace the valve cover gaskets are. Also what is the poly belt? Any DIY links would be greatly appreciated!!!!

·
Registered
85 190e/8v & 89 420 SEL
1,073 Posts
Is this on the 2000 ML320?

You don't need a guide for the valve cover gasket or the belt. It's really not that hard to do those. Best of luck to you! Maybe someone in the ML section can provide some DIY guides for this user?

·
Registered
2000 S430 156k (11/12)
507 Posts
it's all easy stuff but I'm not sure what engine the ML has.
There are some good write-ups about the brakes and rotors, you should search.
Poly belt is the belt that applies power to all the drive components of the car, steering pump, water pump, alternator and so on. Very easy to replace on the 113 engine.

·
Registered
2000 ML320, 2000 Audi TT Quattro, 1996 Acura NSX-T
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Duh, sorry guys, its for a 2003 S430, its for a friend. So I'd be looking for locations and guides for that car, not my ML.

Also if you have any recommendations on where to purchase parts I'd be grateful as well!!!

·
Registered
2004 (w220) S500 & (R230) SL550 2007
649 Posts
also called serpentine belt

I just replaced mine on my CLK320. If you look in the front of the engine
there is a LONG belt that goes around everything. There enev may be a readable part number to goto parts dot com and order for 30 dollars.

FIRST make a diagram of how the belt follows the path around all the pullys.'

TO REPLACE: take a 2ft breaker bar or torque wrench with a 17mm socket on it. The TENSIONER is the black pully that is just there. Below the plastic wheel is a nut the socket fits. Apply pressure to the wrench and this pully will move about 1 inch enough to remove the old belt. Take a #30 torx key wrench and there is a hole under a ridge on the tensioner. Slide the little wrench in and it will keep the wheel locked open so you don't have to hold the big wrench on the nut and use both hands. Now simply put the new belt & route it according to the diagram you made. You can also use a cellphone and take lots of photos to go with diagram.

Betls go for about $30 and if you have the tools literally a 5 minute job:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2000 and 2003 W220 S500
930 Posts
The poly belt is very easy.
If you have moderate strength, you need no tools really. Just look for a diagram on how to reinstall the belt or take a pic before you take it off.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts