Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
98 SL500 SPORT SLVR
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have advice on using a dealer to do repairs and maintenance versus an independent shop that specializes in european cars?

·
Registered
1990 500SL
39 Posts
My only advice: be careful. I've discovered here in France that the Dealers tend to replace whole systems whereas garages will replace just the faulty part in the system.

example: my Suspension (ASR) was leaking. Dealer wanted to replace whole system/block (metal pump chassis that was bolted to a valve chassis). At 3500 Euros, that seemed extravagant to me. An excellent, Mercedes accredited garage that I luckilly found unbolted the two assemblies, replaced the dried out washers that created the seal, and I got away with a 300Euro charge instead. Have been running on it for 5000km now.

No idea about the US market, sorry.

This wont guarantee good quality, but it could assure against picking a loser... Try the Better
Business Bureau website just to make sure that you choice isn't a bad one...
Ex: http://www.thebbb.org/commonreport.html?bid=22027091

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
'96 sl500, 87 300td
134 Posts
I prefer an Independent. He has to earn his money by providing a product that is in demand. The dealer lives off the warrenty work and does not care if you come in or not.

Have found an excellant Independent: Lighthouse Automotive, Stevensville MD 410-604-6350. Good quility work at reasonable prices. First exit after crossing Chesapeake Bay Bridge to Eastern Shore.

Tom

current
96 sl500
87 300td
87 190d 2.5 turbo
Previous
84 190d 2.2
79 240d
71 300sel 6.3
69 220d
65 300se

·
Registered
1999 SL500
25 Posts
I use a local independent with a reputation for good work. Their labor rates are about $25 less that the dealer and the markup on parts is a lot less.

·
Registered
1999 SL500
25 Posts
I use a local independent with a reputation for good work. Their labor rates are about $25 less that the dealer and the markup on parts is a lot less.

·
Registered
2009 SL550 Silver Arrow Launch Edition, 2013 Mercedes Benz C300 4Matic
986 Posts
I use independents for simpler things such as oil changes, antenna mast replacement, bulbs I can't get to easily, etc., but have found that dealers have been forgiving and financially better able to handle my "out of warranty" claims for higher ticket items. I agree, though, they are usually into replacing the "system" rather than the "symptom". A good balance of both is my best advice.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts