Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2007 SL550, 2011 GL550
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
quoted my mom $800. wow!!! i told her to swap it out would take but 10 minutes. The part alone is almost $500, and then they said they would install and test it. come on.

anyone know where i can get the right MAF for a good price?

1996 S320

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
$800 is too much. Your alternatives are to clean your old one, buy just the insert, or buy a new one online. Using any of these suggestions will save your mother some money. As far as I know, Performance Products has a good reputation among the members here.

·
Registered
2007 SL550, 2011 GL550
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
no, still have the factory air filter and box. the idle was rough so i cleaned the MAF with CRC cleaner. ran fine for a couple days, then came back. MIL came on with the MAF error code. the service tech said you cannot clean those, you must replace, load of crap i thinks. thanks for the link BENZBOSS.

·
Registered
2007 SL550, 2011 GL550
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
oh yea, the guy also said, in order to replace the fuel level sending unit, you have to go into the fuel tank. i call BS!!!!! this is American Service Center in Arlington,VA. biggest name in MB in Northern VA.

·
Outstanding Contributor - Always Remembered, RIP
Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
52,804 Posts
no, still have the factory air filter and box. the idle was rough so i cleaned the MAF with CRC cleaner. ran fine for a couple days, then came back. MIL came on with the MAF error code. the service tech said you cannot clean those, you must replace, load of crap i thinks. thanks for the link BENZBOSS.
Change the MAF yourself after buying at a price you feel comfortable with. Then drive the car at varying speeds for 30 kilometers or so and the computer will re-learn on its own. It does not need HHT or DAS for this simple proceedure:thumbsup:

·
Registered
185 Posts
quoted my mom $800. wow!!! i told her to swap it out would take but 10 minutes. The part alone is almost $500, and then they said they would install and test it. come on.

anyone know where i can get the right MAF for a good price?

1996 S320
Its not hard to believe that thats how much they wanted to charge.
I used to work at a local Ford dealership, but got sick of fixing the same junk over and over. For example.. the new 2.3L focus and escape engines have NO i repeat No timing marks!!! good thing is that its not and interference engine..
To set timing on it you have to pull a plug in the lower left side of the block and lock the put a "special" tool in to lock the crank weights into the proper spot.

sorry for the rant, but i hate fords now...
anyways...
i out shop rate was $125/hr for general repair, and $138/hr for any electrical or "speciality"
so i'm figuring:
1.0 Hrs for diagnostic
0.7 Hrs for replacing the MAF
0.5 Hrs to verify repair and clear codes
2.2Hrs Total
then tack on the shop supplies, the enviromental fee's and there you have it..
ohh and also they charge you full price on the parts on which they might have
a 35-48% mark up from the actual cost !

its ridiculous !!

·
Registered
1997 S500V
272 Posts
Actually, you may have to go ito the fuel tamk to replace the fuel level sending unit since it probably operates on a float...but make sure the sending unit is dead not the gauge or intermediate wiring...

·
Registered
2007 SL550, 2011 GL550
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i've been doing some reading. and i think the fuel gauge needle was acting up when the fuel tank was almost 1/4 tank to empty. so it could be gauge cluster. i'm gonna wait on that and see how it acts. the MAF replacement is easy.

·
Registered
96' S500, 09' S550, 06' SL65
206 Posts

·
Registered
2007 SL550, 2011 GL550
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i know i did on my Ford when i put in a new air intake system so the computer would re-learn the settings. not sure about MB.

·
Registered
1999 Mercedes Benz S320 Long Wheelbase.
544 Posts
I was quoted about $780 for the MAF at the local M-B dealer. 1.0 hour diagnosis ($115), then .5 hour to install (shop minimum for labor) then dang near $600 for the part. I declined the work, lived with the SES light for a few days then found one online (www.benzbin.com)? for $230 and bought it. It was the correct Bosch part.

·
Outstanding Contributor - Always Remembered, RIP
Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
52,804 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts