Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
ML500, SLK55 AMG
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had ordered a 350 which I was just told would be ready in about two weeks for delivery. This is a pewter 6M with Nappa, Nav, HK sound, bixenons, Vavona wood trim, and I am quite excited about the car to say the least. I had initially ordered this after I was told that I would have to wait at least 14 months for a 55, due to 3 other 55 orders they were pressing on for the spring.

Now, the dealer tells me that someone pulled out, and that they have a 55 build reserved for May, and a June delivery, still available for any options/colours to be decided on.

I was quite taken by the wood, and was looking forward to having a manual again, and had gone through the whole mental rationalizing thing where I decided that I really didn't want the 55 in the first place, that with all that HP I would simply kill myself.

Now I am absolutely twisted between a 350 in 2 weeks or a 55 in June. This has been asked before, so bear with me, but can any of the 55 drivers out there give me any advice? How much fun is it to drive assuming I am not going to the track? Is it worth the 2 month wait and the extra $14K? I have not seen another 55 but have seen about 3 350's (winter though) including a 350 in my parking lot at work.

The dealership thinks that with the sudden bright sunlight and about zero temps, the one that is "on the water" will take only a few days to sell.

·
Registered
SLK350
475 Posts
Both cars are incredible head turners. If you like the wood and the 6M, go for the 350. I have an Iridium with berry and wood interior. That wood wheel feels so good!!! Save the money!!! Buy another Rolex!![:D][:D]

Roberta[:)][:)][:)]

·
Registered
S430
2 Posts
Hey, where did you order your SLK from in Ontario?
I am thinking of ordering a new SLK as well in Toronto but I wasn't sure about the wait times for getting one. I am just thinking of getting a SLK350. I honestly think that if its going to driven in the winter the 350 is enough. The roads are so bad in Toronto I can imagine the 55 might have some problems getting around everywhere. Anyways, good luck with your decision. Were you able to get any type of discount when you ordered your 350? Thanks...

·
Registered
ML500, SLK55 AMG
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mike So - 3/16/2005 7:28 PM

Hey, where did you order your SLK from in Ontario?
I am thinking of ordering a new SLK as well in Toronto but I wasn't sure about the wait times for getting one. I am just thinking of getting a SLK350. I honestly think that if its going to driven in the winter the 350 is enough. The roads are so bad in Toronto I can imagine the 55 might have some problems getting around everywhere. Anyways, good luck with your decision. Were you able to get any type of discount when you ordered your 350? Thanks...
No discount of any importance.

Planning on only april to november driving. Have an ML for the ice and snow.

·
Registered
S430
2 Posts
Thats great. If you have a ML for the ice and snow then you don't have to worry and just go for the 55 [:D]. I think the extra power should be worth it in the summer. Good luck with what you decide on. Hopefully, I can order my 350 soon and get it in time for summer driving.

·
Registered
05 SL55, 04 ML500, ML63 on order 997TT launch car on order
158 Posts
I have driven both, and both will give you a nice kick in the butt at launch. The difference that I experienced was that the 55 will give you a nice strong kick at highway speeds.[8D]

·
Registered
'05 SLK 55
104 Posts
Hands down the 55. I had one on order when I test drove a 350 at a Love Mercedes event over the summer. This just reafirmed the need for more horsepower. The suspention in the 55 is also very different from the 350 (although I did not drive with the AMG sport package). Be prepared to get beaten up a bit on rough roads, but it's all worth it when you take a 10MPH curve at 40. Final answer, for $14k go with the 55.

·
Registered
ML500, SLK55 AMG
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I said to my 11 year old that I had an offer on a May build for an SLK55, and he freaked. Can hardly wait 'till he starts to drive. So after much deliberating, I am throwing away the first two months of top-down weather in favour of the 55.

My 350 is on the water as they say, and I will have to look at it when it arrives.

Now I have to figure out a colour scheme for the 55.

I like the obsidian with black/berry interior. Also quite like the firemist with the beige interior. Anybody with thoughts about resale-ability with a non-traditional colour like firemist. I looked at the colour poll, and it is clear that silver and black paint carry the day.

·
Registered
2007 ML320 CDI - Silver/Ash
355 Posts
Glad to hear you narrowed your choice down to the 55 instead of sticking with the 350.

I have the 350 with full AMG Sport Package, and I assume that this set up is very close to the one on the 55. Suffice it to say, MB really did place a lot of "sport" in this package and I am pleased with how the car handles.

As for your color choice on the 55. You are correct that black and silver are the most common colors. If you want what everyone else has, then go with either of them.

However, if you want a unique color, such as the firemist, then go with that.

I have the Capri Blue with Beige. Those colors, coupled with the wood trim make for a very good looking and unique SLK. I still think that Orion Blue is the best looking because it is a bright color on a very striking sports car. I would have purchased Orion had it been in stock - but definately no problems with the Capri Blue. Capri is very rich, dark, metallic blue which does change color depending on lighting conditions.

Sorry the blue rant.... but you def. should get the color you like the most. It is personal decision with no right or wrong answer. [:)]

·
Registered
ML500, SLK55 AMG
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
novabenz - 3/18/2005 11:05 AM

Sorry the blue rant.... but you def. should get the color you like the most. It is personal decision with no right or wrong answer. [:)]
Thanks for the input. Unfortunately, there are only a few 350's to see, and I have not seen another 55, so choosing a colour combination is a bit of a wild guess. The problem is that I love the black/berry interior, but am trying to guess what exterior color will match. Obviously black or the iridium work well, and just as obviously the green would be awful with this interior. The dealer recommended against the pewter and black/berry combination.

After reviewing all the pics posted here, so many of which look fantastic, I keep second guessing myself. The dealer says that changes are likely to become locked out soon, so have to make up mind quick.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts