Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my engine and transmission mounts replaced in November.
After picking the car up I felt that tlhe gear shifter wasn't moving into D or across to 4 without a bit of effort or wiggling, didn't really notice the first day as I was in a rush to get back to work.

Took the car back a couple of days later because there were definitely some alignment issues. From hunting around here I deduced that the most likely thing was that due to the old mounts being so bad that with the new ones in things got moved around.

Decided it was the shifter rod end piece that needed adjusting (a 5 minute job).
They said "checked selector raised car on ramp and found there is an internal fault with the gear selector this requires to be replaced" (3 hour job! and £500 part).

Took the car home, put it on jackstands, adjusted the sliding piece, everything is perfect again.

I think I should be refunded the £25 they charged me to come up with the idea that a 5 minute job at home should actually be a £600 job done by them, what do you think?

·
Registered
31,633 Posts
I would agree with you. Depending on how you approach the issue, you may get that back.

Either way, at least the car works now, right? ;)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I intend to be diplomatic about the issue, and yes the car works perfectly CheckCodes.

My primary issue with their diagnosis is that they couldn't have detected an internal problem with the shifter unit from the underside of the car as they say. I know they didn't check it from above because to remove it completely you would have to remove the entire center armrest/trim, air ducts etc etc. and all the stuff in my armrest was exactly as i left it (would have had to remove it all to lift the felt up to remove the unit)

I'm not the the professional here, but professionals make mistakes. I'm a professional chef, and i own up to mistakes if I make them. It's not about personal pride, it's about doing the job properly.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Maybe if you let them have your 25 sterling that will remind you to not go there again. If you think, maybe let's take it over to that dealer, then you will think twice knowing they stole your silver.

Also an incentive to find the best indy around there. With the time you will spend trying to deal with the dealer you could use to your advantage and greater savings down the line.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
My opinion is that they didn't do the job right in the first place. You paid them to misdiagnose a problem that they should have fixed for free as part of the original repair.

In any event I would go back and talk to the service manager. If they are customer service oriented they would offer to refund your money and add some sort of incentive for you to come back again. If they don't do that, well I guess you don't have much of an incentive to return.

·
Registered
35,767 Posts
I didn't make my irony about professionals too easy, sorry.
Per my life experience, there are at least 2 professions on this World that get 100% pay no matter if they do perfect job, or total screw up.
Those are car mechanics and ... doctors.
Even if you make the complain, the shop will come with 100 excuses why this is something else, not their fault. So again ... good luck.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hey

cbc atl: the only reason I took the car to the Merc dealer was because they were actually cheaper on parts and labour than my local garage. By a long shot.

Figuero: yes, you're absolutely right, but I was in a piss awful mood that day and couldn't be bothered arguing! :)

Kajtek1: Good point, I'd forgotten about doctors, my girlfriend is a 3rd year med student, I may mention this (it's worth the consequences, right?)

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Sounds like a good place for someone to open a good new MB indy shop and Scotch pub combo, if there is only one near you right now.

·
Registered
35,767 Posts
Kajtek1: Good point, I'd forgotten about doctors, my girlfriend is a 3rd year med student, I may mention this (it's worth the consequences, right?)
Before you make up your mind, let me tell you the rest of the story.
Mechanics can always repair their mistakes.
Doctors usually bury them.
Good luck with the girlfriend.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts