Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
SLK350
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my car in to have the ESP steering wheel sensor replaced (recall). It now works fine.

However, when I got home I found a small piece of trim in the driver's footwell. It is clearly designed to slide in around something round, but I simply can't find it. I hoped I could put it back myself, I do not feel like going back to my dealer. They are beginning to irritate me with this kind of thing.

Does anyone have any ideas?

roadsta

Attachments

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
3,560 Posts
No idea... [?]

The second pic shows the side which you would normally "see".

I'll poke around my car tomorrow, it might be a piece that fits underneath the dash or some weird place around the steering wheel... but never seen this piece.

How's the plastic material feel like? Is it a carbonized style, very rough plastic (maybe even brittle type), or is it a softer plastic?

·
Registered
SLK55 //AMG
1,212 Posts
That is an inexcusable lapse. Notify them and have the re-install it as soon as possible. It looks like a cosmetic part so it shouldnn't be too hard to re-install.
I hope they apologise and maybe even compensate you for your time.

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
3,560 Posts
What silver said!

·
Registered
SLK350
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Shinigami - 2/6/2005 5:06 AM

No idea... [?]

The second pic shows the side which you would normally "see".

I'll poke around my car tomorrow, it might be a piece that fits underneath the dash or some weird place around the steering wheel... but never seen this piece.

How's the plastic material feel like? Is it a carbonized style, very rough plastic (maybe even brittle type), or is it a softer plastic?
It is fairly hard, like the type of trim one finds around the steering wheel - the only problem is that I simply cannot see a hole. It is not soft or flexible. I agree - pic 2 is the one you will see.

Thanks for the effort mate. Maybe you just look in the right spot.

And yes, you and Silver lana are right. It's unacceptable. And it is becoming a trend.

cheers
roadsta

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
3,560 Posts
If I remember correctly, my car has little holes underneath the dash in the passenger side. The holes are the size of the piece you have. Maybe there's something there that this piece tries to "cover up".

·
Registered
SLK350
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Shinigami - 2/6/2005 6:55 AM

If I remember correctly, my car has little holes underneath the dash in the passenger side. The holes are the size of the piece you have. Maybe there's something there that this piece tries to "cover up".
Shinigami

Thanks mate. Found it. It closes the small space between the the small stalk that electrically controls position of the steering wheel, and the steering wheel itself. There are similar pieces between the other stalks and the wheel.

Back to the dealer again!! Won't attempt taking the s/wheel off myself.

thanks for your interest.

roadsta

·
Registered
SLK 350 , S 500 L, C 200
109 Posts
is this a worldwide fix or only local aus?
my 350 has is to go back to dealer service this week - it must be for ESP -
service guy did not specify what was to be done - only it was a minor fix.

·
Registered
SLK350
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Alsie - 2/7/2005 2:03 PM

is this a worldwide fix or only local aus?
my 350 has is to go back to dealer service this week - it must be for ESP -
service guy did not specify what was to be done - only it was a minor fix.
As far as I know they had a bad batch of ESP sensors in the cars around the time you and I took delivery. Bet you that's it. Aussie cars aren't unique in this regard, so I am pretty sure some other (right-hand drive?) cars will also be affected.

They also replaced an oxygen sensor in the manifold / exhaust / somewhere.

Alsie, please have a look at my thread called "Australian Comand..." further down the list. I am very keen to know which version of the NAV DVD you have.

cheers
roadsta
ps. lived in Perth 2001 - 2003, city beach. Great.

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
3,560 Posts
roadsta: I took a look at my car, and yeah, I found that spot too. Maybe you can push the piece back in if it clips into the spot, but play it safe and get the dealer to do it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts