Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I finally test-drove an ML320 CDI today, wow, what a vehicle. I loved it!

As some may know, being able to take the 320 off-road is one of my requirements of a SUV (see this thread http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w164-m-class/1364571-thinking-buying-ml320-cid-can-you-sleep-back-2.html). I liked the 320 because on MB's website is says it can handle being off-road, or in their words,
Off-road driving program - One-button off-road driving program allows driver to simultaneously engage programming recalibrations of the traction system, antilock brakes, engine management, and automatic transmission. Designed to enhance control in conditions typical of off-highway driving.
However, the dealer didn't know what this was. On the dash there were two buttons one with the vehicle driving down a hill and one with it going up and over a few bumps. One she said was for "downhill assist" and she thought the other was for hill-start assist. Is that really what those buttons do, is there a "one button off-road driving program" button? Can someone explain what the "Off road driving program" is?

Thanks for your help, this has been an excellent forum. I hope to be a proud owner soon, but I need to know its off-road capabilities before I can shell out the big cash.

·
Registered
38 Posts
CDI Off Road

Hi,

I've got a PIII package with my 08 320CDI.

The buttons you are talking about are:

descent engine, suspension raise, and off road mode for the transition.

Tejas

·
Registered
452 Posts
It changes the shift points and convertor lockup as well as locks out 7th gear It tweaks the engine computer as well but can't be certain if it has a variable geometry turbo but sure feels like it. You sure know when you have it in ''off road'' mode and I find myself using it in city driving to have a bit of fun from a red light. As you likely know the hill start assist is always on and has no button so the sales person needs to do a bit of homework

·
Registered
66 Posts
So I finally test-drove an ML320 CDI today, wow, what a vehicle. I loved it!

As some may know, being able to take the 320 off-road is one of my requirements of a SUV (see this thread http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w164-m-class/1364571-thinking-buying-ml320-cid-can-you-sleep-back-2.html). I liked the 320 because on MB's website is says it can handle being off-road, or in their words,

However, the dealer didn't know what this was. On the dash there were two buttons one with the vehicle driving down a hill and one with it going up and over a few bumps. One she said was for "downhill assist" and she thought the other was for hill-start assist. Is that really what those buttons do, is there a "one button off-road driving program" button? Can someone explain what the "Off road driving program" is?

Thanks for your help, this has been an excellent forum. I hope to be a proud owner soon, but I need to know its off-road capabilities before I can shell out the big cash.
The off-road driving program does quite a few things. You can read about it here
M-Class Interactive Owner's Manual*[In depth*|*Controls*|*Off-road driving]

or this is the basic quote from MBenz USA
Only vehicles without the Off-Road Pro engineering package* feature the off-road drive program.
The off-road drive program assists you in driving off-road and when fording. The engine’s performance characteristics and the gearshifting characteristics of the automatic transmission are adapted for this purpose. ABS, ESP® and 4-ETS programs especially adapted to off-road driving are also activated.
Do not use the off-road drive program on roads that are snowy or icy or if you have fitted your vehicle with snow chains.

·
Premium Member
7,273 Posts
However, the dealer didn't know what this was. .

I assume you mean the salesperson didn't know. Unfortunately sales people are often a poor souce of automotive info.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I assume you mean the salesperson didn't know. Unfortunately sales people are often a poor souce of automotive info.
Right, the salesperson didn't know, someone at the dealer probably knew.

Excellent responses everyone! Now I know that little button with image of the car driving over some rocks it the off-road button.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts