Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1985 190D (2.2, 5sp)
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, that title probably made most of you avoid this post (because of the tv show). But I just wanted to ask what you guys think: did I get a deal or a no (bad) deal? If you're an eBay-er you probably saw this one up recently: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=4637615538. I won it for $4750. It's an unknown condition 1985 280SL. Can anyone see anything (other than spot rust) via the mostly unclear pictures? Advice is welcommed, too, though I've read up on these quite thoroughly and am confident in my repair skills. I'm a new SL owner but am aware of most of the pitfalls. What do you guys recommend be my first action as its new owner?

·
Registered
2001 SLK320, 2001 C320
2,267 Posts
What would I do first? That's easy! Take off the hard top. I hate seeing these cars with the hardtop on. But seriously folks...

Take the car out and drive it. When something breaks, fix it. Other than that, change all the fluids in the near future.

Looks like a sweet ride, enjoy it!

·
Registered
1985 190D (2.2, 5sp)
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
page62 said:
What would I do first? That's easy! Take off the hard top. I hate seeing these cars with the hardtop on. But seriously folks...

Take the car out and drive it. When something breaks, fix it. Other than that, change all the fluids in the near future.

Looks like a sweet ride, enjoy it!
Yes, of course! The seller assures me that the top is in excellent condition and I hope that is, in fact, the case... fluid changes: oil, tranny, coolant, diff, brake, hydrolic?

·
Registered
2001 SLK320, 2001 C320
2,267 Posts
No hydraulics in these cars (thank goodness)! Aside from that, you've made a good list. Add fuel filter to the list.

At 100K miles, you may want to change the timing change (I'm not too certain on the 6 cyl. engine). Also, the injectors may be getting tired -- but they're not that expensive.

I suggest www.autohausaz.com for parts. They're a forum sponsor, and I've been really happy with their quick shipping and customer service.

·
Registered
1985 190D (2.2, 5sp)
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
page62 said:
No hydraulics in these cars (thank goodness)! Aside from that, you've made a good list. Add fuel filter to the list.

At 100K miles, you may want to change the timing change (I'm not too certain on the 6 cyl. engine). Also, the injectors may be getting tired -- but they're not that expensive.

I suggest www.autohausaz.com for parts. They're a forum sponsor, and I've been really happy with their quick shipping and customer service.
Right! I'm used to my w124. The rear hyrdolics is a neat system but man is it a PITA! I've been using autohausaz for about a year now; I use them for all of my cars--average of 2 days shipping (even with free shipping for orders $50+). Thanks!

·
Registered
2017 Police Interceptor Utility, 2017 Police Interceptor Sedan
7,750 Posts
Seems a safe enough bet at $4750.

·
Registered
85 300SL Euro,97 SL320,95 S420,07 S550
1,600 Posts
Check first for rust,the car came from Germany and that's not really a Sunshine State.
Check suspension,upper and lower ball joints,tie rod ,center link,brake pads rotors, belt tensioner,check where it all leaks.
Then check which insurance will cover a grey car.
If you don't have at least to spend $2000 on repairs you got a great deal
Good luck.

·
Registered
1985 190D (2.2, 5sp)
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ulflei said:
Check first for rust,the car came from Germany and that's not really a Sunshine State.
Check suspension,upper and lower ball joints,tie rod ,center link,brake pads rotors, belt tensioner,check where it all leaks.
Good luck.
Right -- checked on insurance before buying. USAA covers it if it qualifies as a "classic," or generally less than 100k miles with a clear title. If you have it covered when it passes 100k then it's grandfathered in... very nice. I'm a bit worried about emissions; I may have to buy a vacation house that's not in an emissions controlled county... which is a sacrifice I'm willing to make.

·
Registered
7,030 Posts

At 91,000 miles you've probably got a very good deal, but check for rust ...'Naval Jelly' + primer + spot paint..
Fluids, Hoses, fan belts, transmission fliud change, injectors $35 x 6 @ 80,000miles +, ....and at 100,000 miles bumper to bumper 'thorough' recommended maintenance. .... + a 6 cylinder gives you more 'working' room and hence is easy/ier to maintain.

www.autohausaz.com Recommended.

Sooner or later get to your suspension.

You are 'possibly' one lucky 91,000 miles SOB.

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
83 280 SL- 5 speed-The PIG
31,345 Posts
The M110 is quite bullet proof. I wouldn't worry about the chain just yet, however you can get a good look at it and test the tensioner when you take the cambox cover off to adjust the valves which should be done every 10-15k miles. I found alot of my vacuum and air lines hardened and brittle and changed those. Other than that, lube and filter changes all around, check your timing and fuel mixture then drive 'till it breaks.
GET THE TOP OFF!

·
Registered
1985 190D (2.2, 5sp)
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ulflei said:
Good luck.
Carfax says the car's been registered in FLA since 1987... of course, sometimes a FLA car can sit outside and get rained on, then sun-fried while not being driven since its owner is in New York. I figure even with $2000 in repairs and maintenance I'm still getting an okay deal. I checked with my bank and their average retail is $17,600 (consistent with NADAguides.com). I'm happy once again having a roadster, regardless.

·
Registered
1985 190D (2.2, 5sp)
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
knobby said:
The M110 is quite bullet proof. I wouldn't worry about the chain just yet, however you can get a good look at it and test the tensioner when you take the cambox cover off to adjust the valves which should be done every 10-15k miles. I found alot of my vacuum and air lines hardened and brittle and changed those. Other than that, lube and filter changes all around, check your timing and fuel mixture then drive 'till it breaks.
GET THE TOP OFF!
Do you have a good link to the valve adjustment procedure? Does anyone have a good recommendation for repair manuals in English? It looks like book4cars.com has some service manuals (last 4 hits here: http://www.book4cars.com/result3.htm?finddesc=280sl). Any others?

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
If the car was since 1987 in Florida you are free from serious rust troubles.
The $17600.00 retail from NADAguides.com I challange,let them know they can have mine in a second.
The valve adjustment I would only have an Mercedes mechanic work on ,that is not a job you should do yourself.
Other than all that, keep us posted when you get the car.

·
Registered
1985 190D (2.2, 5sp)
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ulflei said:
The $17600.00 retail from NADAguides.com I challange,let them know they can have mine in a second.
The valve adjustment I would only have an Mercedes mechanic work on ,that is not a job you should do yourself.
Sorry -- $17,600 is *loan value*, not market value. For insurance purposes this is a good thing.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
veryslowbenz said:
Sorry -- $17,600 is *loan value*, not market value. For insurance purposes this is a good thing.
That is a very good thing the price they gave you.
It also helped that your loan officer don't know the difference between an 380 SL european and an 280 SL.

·
Registered
1985 190D (2.2, 5sp)
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ulflei said:
That is a very good thing the price they gave you.
It also helped that your loan officer don't know the difference between an 380 SL european and an 280 SL.
I'm fairly certain that the insurance folks I talked to knew what I was talking about. They gave me the options of 280, 380, and 500 for 1985. And the lady even confirmed that the 280 is grey, which is when we went into the talks about is it a classic, etc... oh well, let's hope insurance never has to kick in! Yeah, there's no reason to get a loan for $4750--this is just for insurance purposes.

·
31,345 Posts
ulflei said:
Actually, with all due respect, you do not know the capabilities of veryslowbenz.
The valve adjustment is quite easy if you have the $40 wrench. The specs are on the label on the left side of the cam box cover. The manual for the M110 engine is still available from MB for $60 CAD.

·
Registered
1985 190D (2.2, 5sp)
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
knobby said:
Actually, with all due respect, you do not know the capabilities of veryslowbenz.
The valve adjustment is quite easy if you have the $40 wrench. The specs are on the label on the left side of the cam box cover. The manual for the M110 engine is still available from MB for $60 CAD.
Thanks for the vote of confidence. I have the valve adjustment tools for my BM... er, other car, (not the 124) but I assume the $40 tool you reference is a MB tool. Do you have a part #? The two tools for my other car are one special tool to turn the crankshaft and one special tool to adjust the tappets. In addition, there are replaceable shims... so if it's less involved than that then I'm game!

·
31,345 Posts
p/n of wrench is 110 589 01 01 at your local MB dealer. It really is needed. If you do this, you will in all likelyhood need the gasket kit p/n 110 010 08 30.
You can just use a breaker bar and deep socket to turn the crank CLOCKWISE.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts