Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to start my C240 auto yesterday. I turned the ignition on and accidently just touched/activated the starter motor, but not enough to actually spin the engine. I took the key back to ')' and tried again. This time the starter activated, engine started, but with a terrible screeching / grating noise - quite deafening in fact! I turned the engine off immediately but the noise carried on with the key back at '0'. In desperation I turned the key back around as if to restart the car and the noise stopped. :confused: I waited a minute or so and it started fine with no noise! I don't know whether I upset something by initially activating the starter motor? Been fine today, but was quite alarming! Any advice, quite new to this model. Thanks.

·
Registered
2000 C230 Kompressor
141 Posts
so you're saying when you shut off the car, the noise continued? How old is the car and what mileage? Maybe something happened to the flexplate when the starter re-engaged the moving teeth? Hopefully it's a one time issue, I don't remember if our AT's have an inspection panel, but if they do, you could get underneath and remove the plate to visually inspect the flexplate? Only thing I can think of

·
Registered
880 Posts
Could be a broken tooth/teeth on the flywheel/flexplate. When the starter tries engage, it just grinds away. Next time it comes around, you'll hear it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts