Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
'62 Unimog 404
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a very short wheeling trip last weekend, about 100 feet after I engaged four wheel drive, my generator died in a cloud of smoke. I took the generator out and apart last night. Most of what I see looks like damage from the smoke (and has that really nice acrid electrical smell) but maybe this bare wire has something to do with it? There are more pictures and details here. I am not concerned about repairing this generator since I have a 24v alternator and a spare generator that I can swap in. But I would like to figure out what caused this and if the culprit was external to the generator, fix that before I fry something else. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

pat

Attachments

·
Registered
'88 U-1300L, '70 406, '78 406, '78 416 project, '82 406, '57 404, '65 404, '70 404, '68 Haflinger.
1,849 Posts
Hi Pat,

Yeah, going into 4wd can do that. LOL.

Shorting of one armature winding could be simply insulation failure on the armature, but it could have been caused by failure of the voltage regulator, too. If something in the regulator left current flowing after the generator and engine stopped, the continuous current through one winding could eventually cook the armature (that bare wire), and discharge the battery.

Have you had any instances of a weak or dead battery? A stuck regulator contact could cause this and would not require the key to be on.

If you have an alternator available, that's the way I'd go. Get rid of the big heavy generator and it's regulator, and go with an alternator. I have a 24v one-wire alternator in storage waiting for my generator to need replacing!

Bob

...chop...But I would like to figure out what caused this and if the culprit was external to the generator, fix that before I fry something else. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

pat

·
Registered
'62 Unimog 404
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Whoa Bob, step back into your time machine. ;-) I have long since switched to the alternator that the previous owner had installed on the M123 engine originally in my mog. It is kind of a jerry rigged (that's fitting isn't it) installation using the generator cradle and and some straps but it is still as solid as the day I put it in. The voltage regulator looked fine to me and I guess the generator's demise will always be a mystery to me. What are the details on the alternator that you have in reserve? I wouldn't mind finding a spare to have around.

·
Registered
'88 U-1300L, '70 406, '78 406, '78 416 project, '82 406, '57 404, '65 404, '70 404, '68 Haflinger.
1,849 Posts
Oh Yeah, that was an OLD post. Wonder how it popped up again? Sorry about that!

Are you coming up this way anytime in the near future? Let's watch for another ExPo outing!

Bob

Whoa Bob, step back into your time machine. ;-) I have long since switched to the alternator that the previous owner had installed on the M123 engine originally in my mog. It is kind of a jerry rigged (that's fitting isn't it) installation using the generator cradle and and some straps but it is still as solid as the day I put it in. The voltage regulator looked fine to me and I guess the generator's demise will always be a mystery to me. What are the details on the alternator that you have in reserve? I wouldn't mind finding a spare to have around.

·
BenzWorld UNIMOG statesman
Unimog 404.1 Diesel (sold :( )1995 LMTV 1078
5,856 Posts
wow that is strange... talk about being drug up from the dead lol

1 - 5 of 5 Posts