Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am new to this forum but have been lurking for a while :) Before I get into my car's problem I just wanted to say:

"What a great site and a big thank you to all the members who have helped other members with their problems." :bowdown:

Now onto my problem. I have a 2005 pre-facelift E320 Diesel. After leaving my car for 2 weeks I have come back from holiday to find the battery is now flat. Whatever little charge remained in the battery was utilised by the central locking to at least let me into the car. However, nothing else now works including the central locking. The REAL problem is I do not have the blade section of the key so I am unable to access the boot manually and check/charge/remove/replace the battery. I do not think the car has folding rear seats so I can not access the boot without unbolting the rear seats.

So my questions are:

(1) Can I remove the rear seats without access from the boot or are the rear seat uppers/backs only removable through the boot?

(2) Is there any other way of opening the boot without the key blade? Drilling the lock etc?

(3) Can I get a blank key blade from Ebay and have this cut to my lock? If so, how much should the cutting process cost?

(4) Finally, what potential damage to the remaining systems will a flat battery have caused? And if I am able to replace the battery then is there anything I should do before starting the car to protect other systems etc?

Thank you for reading and thank you in advance for any help you can provide.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
The REAL problem is I do not have the blade section of the key so I am unable to access the boot manually and check/charge/remove/replace the battery.
Lets see your keys.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Roadking999

"Change the fuse for the front cigarette lighter to "Always ON" and charge the trunk battery thru that socket."

Very interesting - could you explain this more? How would the cigarette lighter fuse remain "always on"? How would this then charge the trunk battery?

Thanks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi MercedesMechanic,

I am really sorry but I don't understand your reply???

"Lets see your keys"

Do you want me to show you a photo of my keyfob? :confused:

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Hi MercedesMechanic,

I am really sorry but I don't understand your reply???

"Lets see your keys"

Do you want me to show you a photo of my keyfob? :confused:
Yes. Both of them if you have them.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Hi Roadking999

"Change the fuse for the front cigarette lighter to "Always ON" and charge the trunk battery thru that socket."

Very interesting - could you explain this more? How would the cigarette lighter fuse remain "always on"? How would this then charge the trunk battery?

Thanks.
54A
Remove and plug into center and left = always on

·
Purple Moderator
21,710 Posts
Here you are MercedesMechanic
You are indeed mising the blade. Your easiest path for that would be the dealer
on an emergency order. Depending on the country I have seen keys make it
in as little as 48 hours. Sometimes it is 5 days. On a regular order it could be
up to two weeks.

Roadking, I like your idea, but fear the electronics may not. Perhaps just do
it to pop the boot/trunk so he can get the battery.
Then go by the book for replacement or charging.

Once the old battery is charged it really should be load tested. If it is the
original battery it probably should be replaced with an exact match AGM battery.
No lead acid batteries in these W211s.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
You dont have anything around your house that looks like these?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Roadking, I like your idea, but fear the electronics may not. Perhaps just do
it to pop the boot/trunk so he can get the battery.
Then go by the book for replacement or charging.

Yes of Course, there is a BCM between me and the battery plus other potential complications but I think it would work to power the trunk release momentarily to open the bloody boot (we're getting cultured)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Many thanks for your ideas,suggestions and help thus far guys - much appreciated.

The cigarette lighter charging method may have a problem - the battery is totally dead and hence the key will not turn in the ignition...does this affect trying to charge the battery momentarily enough to pop the boot/trunk?

Thanks guys

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Many thanks for your ideas,suggestions and help thus far guys - much appreciated.

The cigarette lighter charging method may have a problem - the battery is totally dead and hence the key will not turn in the ignition...does this affect trying to charge the battery momentarily enough to pop the boot/trunk?

Thanks guys
OK Doc,
1- Open the hood
2- Remove the plastic cover with the 2 little plastic knobs on the driver side by the firewall, its in the corner of the vehicle, the cover has a funny shape but its about 6 inches X 12 inches and it has tassles on the edge.
3- Now you should be looking at the fuse box and the Master Cylinder/Brake Reservoir.
4- Slide the 2 plastic latches on the fuse box and remove the cover, this takes a bit of wiggling to accomplish
5- Now you're looking at a bunch of fuses and relays.
6- Count 4 from the back left corner of the fuse box and you should have a 15 A fuse offset from the rest, this is usually fuse # 54A.
7- Remove this fuse and move it slightly to the left side (1/4 to 1/2 inch distance)
You should have all fuses on that side aligned.

Now you should have a live cigarette lighter and you don't need to turn the key

8-Obtain a cigarette lighter plug with a wire attached.
9- Connect a 12 volt source to the wires with the correct polarity
10- Hopefully, you have enough juice to pop the trunk open

If you are not comfortable doing this, please don't; because you're dealing with electricity and damage can be done if you're not careful. While I'm not sure if this will work, its worth a try and your post sounds urgent.
I've never tried to find out if the AUX battery will power the locks, may be some other members know more about that experiment. If it does, then you're in business because access is much easier under the hood.
The preferred method is to follow Noodles' suggestion and get a key made if time permits

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have been informed that a charge point exists under the bonnet. I have been told that the charge point is behind/under the cabin filter in the engine bay. The cabin filter is near the bulkead on the passenger side.

I removed the cabin filter today and apart from the washer bottle and a few other cables, the only thing I saw under the filter was a small 12V battery. Is this the charge point? The owners manual does not make any reference to such a charge point existing???????????

Once again many thanks to all.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
HI All,

WOO-HOO WOO-HOO success at last!!!!!!!!!!!! :):):)

I've got the boot open and I have successfully removed the battery :D

A MASSIVE thank you to everyone who else helped with my problem.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts